ARC Writing Prompts Challenge

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

ARC Writing Prompts Challenge

Post by Trihunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 am

So we've had some new users recently, and some of them are interested in writing. Hence, I've put together this thread. Every now and then, a pairing of bots and arena will be put in here, alongside some RPs for them. What I want you guys to do, is write the result! Just read over both RPs, the rules, bot designs and arena carefully, and put together your example writeup.

Rules: Standard ARC Rules will be used for all fights. If a JD occurs, it will use a 45-point system, fifteen points each in the categories of Control, Damage and Aggression.

The first fight card will be up shortly. No need to sign up for writing or anything, if you wanna have a go, just pop a writeup in this thread!
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Re: ARC Writing Prompts Challenge

Post by Trihunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Okay, here's the first match. This time, you'll be doing your own interpretation of one of the first MW matches of CBC3.

Vertigo by Floating Castle Robotics on Sketchfab

Name: Vertigo

Layout: Circular

Size: 60 ft diameter - 2827 square feet

Intended Use: LW-SHW Singles and Doubles

Theme: Helicopter landing pad

Floor Materials: painted steel

House Robots: In tournaments that allow house robots, this arena has two, Genghis and Colonel Mordread, which patrol the ring around the central hazard. However, CBC3 will not be employing them this time around.

Hazards and Features:
Immediate Ejection Device (1) - This enormous floor piston is located in the center of the arena and pops up beneath bots that drive over it, launching them high into the air and dealing moderate to heavy impact damage when they land in addition to potentially flipping them over.
Fall Away Walls - The arena walls are five feet high, meaning that only the strongest flippers can manage to flip opponents over them for the first two minutes of the match. However, at the 2:00 mark, they fall away, making OOTAs tantalizingly easy for the remainder of the fight.
Micro IEDs (32) - These small floor pistons ring the edges of the arena. For the first two minutes, they pop up under robots that drive over them, disrupting traction and dealing no to light damage. During the final minute, they pop up in advance of robots barreling over the edge, forcing drivers seeking an OOTA to employ at least some strategy. This hazard has been modified. There are now 64 Micro IEDs spaced about 2.5 feet apart.
Danger Zone (optional - 2) - The two concentric rings that are occasionally home to the house robots can be turned into floor spinners for fights without house robots. These only deal no to light damage, but they can disrupt traction and spin robots away.

CarbonemysLethal Carriageway Mk. III
ImageImage
Speed: 4Speed: 7
Traction: 1 (+1 tracks)Traction: 7
Torque: 1Torque: 3
Weapon: 15 (+1 hammer)Weapon: 1
Armour: 9 (+1 plow)Armour: 12

Carbonemys' RP:

Hooray for facing arguably my worst matchup first! The thing is, while 12 armour’s a lot, my hammer still has 16 power. It’s going to deal four damage every hit and he has a lot of wheels that can be damaged or jammed by having armour warped into their paths. “But he’s too fast to hit!” I hear you say. “You’re a freakin’ turtle!” Firstly, remember that every bot starts with a baseline 2 speed, so he has nine units of speed to my six. Basic math+physics dictates that if I’m turning on the spot while he’s trying to circle around my sides, I should be able to track him without a lot of trouble, actually. It’s why a turret can track something 2x faster.

Secondly, given the height of my wedges, tracks, and general chassis, his small clamp shouldn’t actually be able to grab Carbonemys and maintain a firm hold on it at all. It just doesn’t have the reach. Also, my pair of wedges at the front are equal to his hinged wedge if not marginally better. I can drive faster than he pushes, and can’t really be high-centered. If he doesn’t have his prongs up, there’s also nothing to stop me from monstertrucking him.

What this all means is that he’s not really going to be able to consistently flank me or control me by grabbing, and I can still do some heavy damage to him.

So, come out like gangbusters, placing myself close to the concentric spinning rings in the center. They don’t do any damage to me, they’ll lessen his available angles of approach and, if he tries to ignore them entirely in his quest to flank or push me towards the IED they’ll disrupt his traction and spin either him or both of us away, allowing me to break free and reset.

The central goal is to hit him with the bigtime hammer A LOT. This mainly involves keeping my back to the spinners to cut off about 1/3 of his approach angles and pivoting on the spot. Whenever I’m on his wedge and not clamped – perhaps lifted instead, that’s actually a decent spot for me. I can’t be high-centered, so pivot to square up and unleash with the hammer (which has a very long head and reaches 22.5 degrees below horizontal). That’ll both deal serious damage and knock me free. Reset as quickly as I can, rinse and repeat. Self-right with the hammer as needed and jostle myself free with it if I’m near the IED or the walls.

Basically, be defensively aggressive and counterpunch the hell out of him. If I get my little lip wedge under him, it doesn’t actually look like his rear wheels stick out, so he’ll be high-centered. Punish him and follow up immediately. If he’s not moving right, mix some pursuit into the mostly-static pivoting. At about the 1:30 mark, start assiduously avoiding the outer edges.

Lethal Carriageway Mk III's RP:

I have the upper hand to outpace Carbo by my Speed and Traction advantage, I also have the better torque power so I should be able to push him around the arena pretty well. At the start of the match, exit out of my start block immediately and go after the sides of Carbo where he is exposed, probably go for a slight angle-in as I approach my opponent. His hammer wont be able to hit me if i'm at the side of him.

If I manage to topple him over from the friction and pushing power and possibly worm my way under him, I can then use my forks and clamp him a little just to disrupt Carbo's self righting capabilities.

Obviously I don't want to run over the red button myself but I also want my opponent to get on that hazard, so with my good pace I should be able to push Carbo to that hazard. If I succeed from this quickly evade from the house robots by reversing away and leaving myself some room.

Good luck and may the best robot win.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)