The Cherry Bomb Classic III: Fight Cards, Brackets, and Writing Assignments

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks

The Cherry Bomb Classic III: Fight Cards, Brackets, and Writing Assignments

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 am

They came from all corners of the globe: The frigid north of Canada, the lush Rio Plata, the moorlands of Scotland, the terraced fields of Eastern France, the jungles of Indonesia and, of course, from virtually every part of the good old U.S. of A. For some, it was a chance to add to another trophy to a well stocked case, an accolade to further burnish an established legend. For others, it was a shot at redemption, a cautious second chance to fulfill a dream. There were those who had been in pursuit for some time and those who had come looking for a new experience. Whatever their reasons, here they are, at the greatest show on Earth: The Cherry Bomb Classic III. Welcome one, welcome all.

Over the course of the next four months, eighty-four unique machines from twenty-six international teams will compete in four different weight classes for the ultimate prize of fantasy robotic combat: the CBC Bowl of Cherries! The trophy's uh...not quite ready yet but, trust me, it's gonna be great. Just great! You wait and see. Now, with the introduction out of the way, it's time for everyone's favourite: organizational stuff!

Introducing the CBC3 Staff

No tournament can be run without people willing to spend their time and energy and smile through the passive-aggressive complaints that flow forth from losing teams after each week's results are posted. Before we begin, I'd like to thank each and every one of these people by recognizing them here. Should anybody wish to join the staff, your help is warmly welcomed. Don't be shy about stepping forward!

Tournament Organizer: The Monsterworks
Deputy Tournament Organizer: Hooray For Lexan
Writers: Shaba 117, Trihunter, Mole55, YSMQTHLQYH, NWOWWE, Rocket, Wolf51-50, V900

Going forward, I ask only that all staff members operate in good faith, exercise neutrality, and be familiar with the tournament-specific rules. If you are unsure of something, ask! Conversely, from the participants' end, I expect that staff should be shown respect at all times. Feel free to ask for clarification about results, but anything that I and I alone deem to have crossed the line will be punished immediately and severely. :D That won't be necessary, though, will it? :D

Helpful Information

1. This event will use a variant on the R4/REDDIT rules that can be found here. If you are a writer, you will be expected to familiarize yourself with these. If you are solely a competitor, then uh... knowing the rules is probably a very good thing anyways.

2. The Cherry Bomb Classic has always been unique among fantasy robotic combat tournaments for its use of a diverse and rotating cast of challenging arenas that are more than simply places to do battle. Each has a personality of its own, and familiarizing yourself with the week's arena could be the difference between the sweet taste of victory and the reek of defeat. Information on the arenas can be found here. The thread is in the process of being updated, so excuse the formatting errors.

3. The hazards in the arenas deal different amounts of damage depending on how well-armoured your bot is. Take a look at the Hazard Damage Scale to learn just how nasty they're gonna be in your case.

4. If you have any questions, concerns, good memes, or ideas to discuss, feel free to check out our discussion thread.

5. Need to figure out how to tackle your opponent for this week? You should definitely take a look at the Official Signup Thread.

6. "Wait! I'm not fighting this week!?!!!!11!!one!1!!!??": Yes! This may be the case, Don't worry. You probably haven't been booted. Due to the odd number of entrants in each weight class, every bot will have one bye week during the regular season. During the regular season, we will also be alternating weeks between weight classes. Lightweight and middleweight robots will fight one week, followed by heavyweight and superheavyweight machines the next. Finally, there will be an eliminator between the eighth and ninth seeds before the playoff bracket commences.

7. The Cherry Bomb Classic III will also be observing the standard ARC rules about politeness, respect, and NOT EDITING YOUR RP OR READING YOUR OPPONENT'S RP IF HE OR SHE POSTS BEFORE YOU! Break any of these rules once, and you will forfeit the week's matches. Break them twice, and you're out of the tournament. I know that won't happen, though, Y'all are chill.

8. If your robot has alternate configurations, wedge options, or armour bonus options, you will be required to inform your opponent of which you are using a reasonable amount of time before the fight. Little things like wedgelet placement or whatever are exempt from this. Remember that your main chassis armour must stay the same across all options and configurations.

9. There will be a hard 400 word RP limit for all regular season RPs except for first round RPs. You may want to write a bit extra to help familiarize writers with your bot's abilities and features. Those RPs will have a 500 word limit. Playoff RPs will also enjoy a 500 word limit because, you know, those actually matter. For rumbles, a strict 200 word limit will be enforced to ease the burden on writers.

10. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, RPs will always be due on the Saturday night of the week they are posted at 11:59 PM EST.

Schedule

The Cherry Bomb Classic is a LONG HAUL, friend: eighteen weeks in total, but I swear it'll all be worth it in the end. Money back guarantee!

Round One: Vertigo (all) - weeks 1 and 2
Round Two: The Asylum (LW/MW) & The Woodshed (HW/SHW) - weeks 3 and 4
Round Three: Gothiq (LW/MW) & Buzludzha (HW/SHW) - weeks 5 and 6
Round Four: Shooting Star (LW/MW) & Stormhavn (HW/SHW) - weeks 7 and 8
Round Five: The Asylum (LW/MW) & The Woodshed (HW/SHW) - weeks 9 and 10
Round Six: Gothiq (LW/MW) & Buzludzha (HW/SHW) - weeks 11 and 12
Round Seven: Shooting Star (LW/MW) & Stormhavn (HW/SHW) - weeks 13 and 14
Eighth Place Eliminators: Vertigo (all) - week 15
Quarterfinals: Vertigo (all) - week 16
Semifinals: Vertigo (all) - week 17
Championship: Vertigo (all) - week 18

The Brackets

These will always be your best and most up-to-date sources of information on your results and upcoming matches. You can check them out below.

Lightweight

Middleweight

Heavyweight

Superheavyweight

Let's Get this Show on the Road!

Above is everything that you should ever need in terms of references for this event. I'd like to offer you my sincere thanks for participating and placing your trust in me to organize this shindig. I hope you enjoy it. Best of luck!

- The Monsterworks

Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)

The Monsterworks: 158 - 45 (.778) ...Probably up to no good.
Carbonemys: 6-0 PLAYOFFS!
Black Diamond: 6-0 PLAYOFFS!
I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker!: 4-2