Games you think are underrated

Talk about the lastest in Nintendo, X-box and, if you can afford it, Playstation. Don't forget about PCs and handhelds, but if you go old-ass Atari on us, we'll cut you off at the knees.
BEES

Post by BEES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm

<---From the good old days of DOS gaming. Personally I think Commander Keen 2 is the best, though I'd imagine most people would probably vote for 4 or 5.

Although Duke Nukem 1 might be better than any individual Keen game. Not quite sure.
Last edited by BEES on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:18 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Mar 4 2014, 11:32 PM</dd></dl><div><---From the good old days of DOS gaming. Personally I think Commander Keen 2 is the best, though I'd imagine most people would probably vote for 4 or 5.

Although Duke Nukem 1 might be better than any individual Keen game. Not quite sure.[/quote]Awesomeness, nice to see old DOS gaming receive some recognition. I heard the guys who made it would also later go on to make Doom and Quake.

I remember Duke Nukem as well- "It's time to kick ass and chew Bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum."
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Post by GF93 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 pm

And now for something a little different to my usual Game Boy titles-

Rocket Knight Adventures, on the Mega Drive/Genesis. This one's a fantastic but sadly quite underrated platformer- it's got loads of clever elements behind it including the use of a jetpack that allows both charging attacks and flight for schmup-style levels, a good deal of challenge behind it, and looks and sounds fantastic.

Although sadly overshadowed these days, I'd consider it up there with other Mega Drive platformers like Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic the Hedgehog, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 am

lol they wont have it in any of the retro game stores

GF93

Post by GF93 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Mar 10 2014, 03:08 AM</dd></dl><div>lol they wont have it in any of the retro game stores[/quote]Actually, there was a copy in my local one not so long ago- and then of course there's emulators, so you're not entirely out of options if there aren't any carts about. :P
ICE³ ROBOTICS

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am

Never seen it. And i prefer the real thing

StevenMcG

Post by StevenMcG » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Here's to the underdogs&#33;

Image Image
Destroy All Humans&#33; 1 & 2 (PS2, XBOX)
Grand Theft Auto meets Mars Attacks&#33;. You play a soldier from an alien clone race with a thirst for blasting and a voice like Jack Nicholson. Your mission: infiltrate small-town '50s America to harvest brain stems, conquer the country and save your stupid people from planet-wide sterility. A pair of truly hilarious sandbox games with some fun missions, cool weaponry, witty scripts and great cathartic potential. Not only can you vapourize pretty much anyone you meet, but you can even get in your flying saucer and level the entire town to boot&#33; I have a hard time picking my favourite - IMO the first game is a bit more atmospheric with better plot pacing my preferred control scheme, while the second has more toys to play with and far more variety in its side-missions. They're both as darkly fun as each other, so take your pick.

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
Renowned British adventurer Henry Hatsworth seeks the Golden Suit, a mythical set of dapper clothes which will allow him to control the treasure-filled parallel universe known as the Puzzle Realm; unfortunately so does his dastardly archrival Weasleby&#33; As the Puzzle Realm bleeds into the real world, Hatsworth must use all of his strength, cunning and tea to find the Golden Suit and separate our two worlds once more. The cartoony steampunk world, kickass soundtrack and hilarious cast alone sold me on this one, but the gameplay itself is actually bloody fun too. It's kind of a cross between Mega Man and Puzzle League - the top screen in a traditional 2D platformer, while the bottom screen is a tile-matching puzzle board. When things get too hairy on top, you can switch to the bottom and match the blocks to fill your power bars, gain power-ups and clear away enemies. It gets devilishly hard the further you get, but it's a fun, quirky ride along the way. "Jolly good&#33;"

Hogs of War (PS1)
Worms with pigs in 3D in World War I. Works better than you think. The multiplayer and ye olde war arsenal are a hoot, while the single player's 25 missions to conquer Saustralasia (Hee.) get surprisingly challenging, especially if you want all those promotion points, private&#33; Rik Mayall provides most of the voices, in nearly every ridiculous accent possible. 'Nuff said.

Image Image
Medievil 1 & 2 (PS1)
Before that PS3 Smash Bros knockoff, Sir Daniel Fortesque was a cowardly knight falsely remembered as the hero who saved Gallomere from the wicked wizard Zarok. When Zarok returns years later and raises an army of the dead for world conquest, Dan gets resurrected too and decides to finally live up to the history books by seeing off the wizard once and for all. These are probably my favourite adventure games, period. I love everything about them from the gothic level designs to the wide array of old-timey weaponry to the puzzles at just the right difficulty for my stupid brain to the colourful cast of characters to the absolutely stunning orchestral soundtracks. Seriously, they're gorgeous. I do slightly prefer the original, but the sequel in Victorian London has a lot to love about it, from the improved graphics and intriguing story to the new weapons and the limb-lopping monster boxing match. Speaking of...

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (PS1, PS2, N64, DC, GBA)
Come on, guys. An arcade boxing game where you can play as Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jackson and both of the Clintons has to be worth a little look, at least. Real easy to pick up 'n' play, too.
Last edited by StevenMcG on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow, you may catch some disgusting skin disease!"
~ Edmund Blackadder

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm

okay ive heard mixed feelings about this game but:

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters

Godzilla and mothra kill aliens that are trying to take over the planet bla bla bla you know the deal. However, this game is an interesting mix between chess, side scrollers and 2d shooters. You control godzilla and mothra on something like a chess board, where to move to spaces you have to complete levels. also, there are monsters coming at you, which you have to fight in battles, which is fun. There are some frustrating moments in this game, but its good overall. Its also cheap, it was

GF93

Post by GF93 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:38 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>StevenMcG</dt><dd>Mar 15 2014, 04:57 PM</dd></dl><div>Image
Hogs of War (PS1)
Worms with pigs in 3D in World War I. Works better than you think. The multiplayer and ye olde war arsenal are a hoot, while the single player's 25 missions to conquer Saustralasia (Hee.) get surprisingly challenging, especially if you want all those promotion points, private&#33; Rik Mayall provides most of the voices, in nearly every ridiculous accent possible. 'Nuff said.[/quote]Ah, I remember this one&#33; Fantastic alternative to Worms I thought, particularly with how hilarious Rik Mayall made it.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

jameschaos

Post by jameschaos » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Jet Set Radio Future

Pure awesome on rollerblades.

GF93

Post by GF93 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:19 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>jameschaos</dt><dd>Jun 1 2014, 05:40 PM</dd></dl><div>Jet Set Radio Future

Pure awesome on rollerblades.[/quote]I remember the original Dreamcast version, actually.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

jameschaos

Post by jameschaos » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Jun 1 2014, 06:19 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>jameschaos</dt><dd>Jun 1 2014, 05:40 PM</dd></dl><div>Jet Set Radio Future

Pure awesome on rollerblades.[/quote]I remember the original Dreamcast version, actually. [/quote]also a fun game, in my opinion though future is better

GF93

Post by GF93 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Talking of the Dreamcast, there is one I particularly like-

Power Stone 2. This was one of the main Dreamcast titles I remember from my youth, and one I've recently started getting back into. Great four-player fighting game, good enough in single-player, but it really shines with the multiplayer- cool destructible levels, a huge variety of items and weapons to use, and has an interesting gimmick with the use of the titular 'Power Stones'- collect three at once, and you can temporarily turn into a stronger form and use very powerful attacks.

Overall, although it is sadly somewhat overlooked today when compared to other fighting games for the same system, like Capcom VS SNK 2 and Street Fighter III: Third Strike, it's an absolute blast, especially with regards to the multiplayer. All I can say is- if you have a Dreamcast, get it.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

Jaydee99

Post by Jaydee99 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Big bump but I think it should be here:

How do I insert a picture?

Attachments:
Last edited by Jaydee99 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.