Whodunnit 2

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Whodunnit 2

Post by Madman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Every tournament in this town wants to be a big deal. They all come here with dreams, you know, but there's only so much room. Not all of 'em can get big. This one, though... It's a different animal. Careful whatcha sign up for, kid.

The Scoop

A) Whodunnit will be held in the Superheavyweight division. It doesn't get much love anymore, so I'd like to throw it a bone. The entry cap will be sixteen.

B) Each entrant will provide one robot and choose a number from one to sixteen. If the number has already been chosen by somebody else, he or she may not choose it. First come, first serve. There will be an undisclosed number of groups, and the top one or two from each group (depending on how many there are) will qualify for the playoffs. Only the TO will know who is in each group and he will keep track of it using a hidden Challonge bracket. Entrants will be completely in the dark. Over the course of the tournament, they may be able to piece some of this together.

C) As usual, entrants will RP each week. However, it is unlikely that their RPs will be for their own robots. At the start of the week, everybody will receive an unmarked letter (a DM on discord) from the tournament organizer informing them of which robot they will be RPing for that week and which robot they will be fighting. These will be randomly selected from the pool of sixteen robots and are not subject to groups like the entrants themselves. Entrants will then PM their RPs to the TO by the usual Saturday midnight EST deadline and he will will make the thread and post both RPs. The writers will then write the fights based off of the posted RPs while only knowing the robots and not the RPers.

D) This isn't only a robotic combat tournament, however. In addition to the usual fight cards and RP threads, there will also be a Detectives' Lounge page. After the conclusion of each week, detectives may post up to two theories about the previous round or the bracket in general. These must be specific guesses involving no more than two other detectives. The Chief (the TO) will then either confirm or debunk the theories. Regardless of group, the four detectives with the most confirmed theories by the end of the group stage will advance to the playoffs.

E) There, they will join the four entrants (not robots!) with the best records in their groups. These eight will square off in a single-eliminations playoffs. However, they will now be forced to use their own robots. At the end of it all, we will crown a Whodunnit Champion.

The Goods

A) We'll be using a custom Whodunnit 2 Ruleset which is basically just the Reddit/CBC ruleset, but without the most recent wedge hierarchy updates.

B) House rules include a weapon cap of 16, an armour cap of 13, and a loosely-defined, "let's not have everyone enter blatantly dumb stuff" rule. If that happens, I'm your God. I'll just pick the three that I like best and everyone else can re-enter something that sucks less at existing.

C) Don't be late and don't be a douche. That's my schtick. There will be a word limit. It'll be 400 words this time around.

D) This event will begin whenever we have sixteen finished entries. Reserving doesn't guarantee you a spot. Putting a rendered and statted bot up there and choosing a number does. Regardless of how many people are signed up, this event will begin as soon as Thunder Underground ends.

E) We'll be fighting in The Noir which is a, state-of-the-art, beautifully rendered custom arena made just for this tournament forever ago and never used... until now. The render is linked below.

The Noir by Floating Castle Robotics on Sketchfab

The Suspects

Team Robot Number Type
The Monsterworks I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker! 13 Crab
Team C/D Sepia Sin 16 Wal-Mart Hellhound
Team Blood Gulch Final Boss 3 Basically Biohazard
Interrobang Robotics THE ANGRY GOAT 12 Torquebeast
Team Stealth Triple 6 6 Flippah!
Team Instant Regret Starfish Prime 10 Horizontal Spinner
Alpha Robotics The Unpleasant Stomp Rocket 9 Vovoka With a Clamp
Code Red Robotics Sean the Wedges 8 Wedge Cluster
Tartarus Robotics Group Hadean 7 Shell Spinner
Aquatic Robotics Red Menace 2 Walking Death-Hammer
Team Riptide *Sigh*-Clone-Bot 11 Cyclonebot
Team Design Flaw Equisde II 15 Strafey Monstrosity
Team 57 Fork Bomb 4 Chop Saw
Team Cardboard Pony Hit and Run 17 Two Lego Block Things
Cool Story Brobotics Highland Fling III 5 Weird-Ass Spinner
Team Ether Hissy Fit XL 14 Tantrum Clone
Team Worst Swordsman Trilobite 1 Speed Wedge
Team Eagle Robotics Eagle's Hawk 18 Vertical Spinner
Team Stroopwafel Give Way 2 19 Shenanigans Spinner
TBA unknown

And after all that, it ended just the way it had begun: with a song. A song, and a lonely silhouette disappearing down a Chicago alley on a cold winter's night.

Fin.

Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

hide
Team: Team C/D

Re: Whodunnit 2

Post by hide » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 pm

You thought my bot was Sepia Sin, but it was I:

D I O

9/8/4/0/9

As for my number, I'll choose... 16.
Last edited by hide on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoiler
Taskmaster: Reckoning: Evolution (0-4)
Taskmaster V2: REDDIT 2 (3-3)
Taskmaster V3: Thunder Underground (3-1), ARC Rumble (lost)
Taskmaster V4/King Crimson: Not the Football League (1-0), CBC 4 (2-4)
taskMASTER: Pat’s Reddit Tournament (3-2)
Spoiler
SPINNERFOOD: Thunder Underground (1-2), CBC 4 (4-4), CBC4 Rumble (lost)
Spoiler
D O N O T C R O S S: Thunder Underground (2-0)
Killer Queen: CBC 4 (2-4)
SPECTRALS: ROBOT4 (0-1)
CRAZY DIAMOND: ROBOT4 (2-1)
Ki: PAT'S TOURNAMENT (5-0) CHAMPION
DEAD BABY CANNON: RUMBLE IN DA JUNGLE (4-2)
MADE IN HEAVEN: ROBOT4 (1-1)
Record: 33-29
Notable Achievements:
  • Champion (Kira), Pat’s Antweight Tourney

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Post by Botomatic1000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 pm

*Sigh*-Clone-Bot
Speed: 16 Traction: 1 (+3 spinup bonus for meltybrain) Torque: 1Weapon: 2 (translational speed) Armor: 10 (thanks HFL lol)
Is oregano robutt, donut steel!
Heavyweight Melty-Brain based off the infamous Cyclonebot but bigger, faster and over all better! Has slightly slanted armour to help deflect HS blows and can even translate when upside down! The outer-shell is some hella thicc Titanium. All the internals are only in the very centre of the robot (mostly that black space but the motors extend out of it slightly because they're phat) so there is a large gap between them and the teeth. The wheels are belt-driven for motor longevity.
I'll choose #11 because that's how many wins the real world Cyclonebot got!
Last edited by Botomatic1000 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm

What do you mean that I got beaten to the first reply?

I am pretty dam sure i will change my mind latter, but for now lets do this.
Equisde II:
Render TBD, have a pic of the original for now.
Stats:
  • Speed: 12
  • Traction: 10
  • Torque: 4
  • Weapon: 1
  • Armor: 3
Last edited by YSMQTHLQYH on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Official Monsterworks Entry (#13)

Tell me, friend: do you like bad music? Are you a crustacean enthusiast? Do you, perchance, enjoy dancing? Have you ever watched this video before?

You may believe that this qualifies you as 'crabcore'. If you do, I'd like to take a moment to put the brakes on that. There is one more qualification that is a must: you need to have an appreciation for an obscure, objectively shitty pseudo-subgenre of heavy metal. Pass that doozy of a hurdle, and I officially anoint you worthy to live the crabcore life. Speaking for myself, I know that...

I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker!

I Dance Crabcore, Motherf*cker! (claws closed) by Floating Castle Robotics on Sketchfab

Yes, this is a bot: one where Industrial Dieselpunk meets Mad Max, meets a fleeting heavy metal trend. And yes, it hugs you and then slices you up into teeeeeeny little pieces. Above, is a view with the claws closed and the saw at its furthest downward extension. Below, the claws are open and the saw is 'up' in its resting position.

I Dance Crabcore, Motherf*cker! (claws open) by Floating Castle Robotics on Sketchfab

So basically, it's a clamp and saw kinda deal. I wanted to do a horizontal clamp because they aren't done as much and also just to be in keeping with the theme. With the placement of its wheels, it functions as a 2WD wedge. The Omniwheel H-drive allows it to circle strafe or, if it also turns in the direction that it's strafing, to legitimately side/diagonal strafe. Unlike mecanum drive, omniwheels in an H setup don't require any special inputs or algorithms, just a second channel for the one wheel perpendicular to the others. Basically, it can drive normally on normal wheels. For fights where more knockback resistance is needed, I can swap out the omnis as the two main drive wheels for a pair of regular ones with rubber tires and just not throttle the remaining omni in the middle.

The various teeth, bars, and spikes (including those on the wedge) can obviously be removed if needed. The 'rivets' are purely ornamental - nobody rivets a battlebot - as are the support bars/tubes coming up from the base of the claws. Those 'pods' are actually solidly attached to the chassis and are part of it. Obviously, I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker! can self-right using its saw arm and it's designed to be basically impossible to high-center. That's about all. Stay crab, my friends.

6 speed / 5 traction / 2 torque / 7 weapon (5 clamp/5 saw) / 10 armour (+1 claws)

Alt: 6/5/2/7(5/5)/10 (+1 top)

Have some more Noir Music...
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:21 pm

ARE YOU READY FOR

THE STRONG

THE BEAUTIFUL

THE TOWERING

THE UNKILLABLE

THE ANGRY GOAT‽‽‽

ALL MAY DRIVE THE LIVING GOD. BUT ARE ANY CANNY ENOUGH TO USE ITS POWER?

Speed: 6 / Traction: 4 / Torque: 8 / Armor: 12

12. wedges are hinged, plows shock mounted. tall plow/low plow on one end, wedgelets/copperhead plow on the other

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 pm

jk not entering
Last edited by V900 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

Post by Shaba117 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Entering Triple 6 #6

Powerful 4WD pneumatic flipper that can easily self-right. Horns are purely for aesthetics and come off fairly easily. There are also spikes on the sides and the rear wheels extend out of the back to prevent stranding.

SPD-6 // TRA-5 // TOR-2 // WPN-7 // ARM-10
Last edited by Shaba117 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Team Blood Gulch is on the case!

Final Boss-He's badder than old King Kong, and meaner than a junkyard dog.

He's a master of disguise so pick whatever skin you like best.

Speed: 6
Traction: 5
Torque: 3
Armor: 11
Weapon: 5
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Hiicantpk

Post by Hiicantpk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Have this new thing.

Fork Bomb

Optional plow

Somewhere between Scorpios/Sawblaze and Pat's bot from the last Whodunnit, have a hammer saw to test out these new rules.
Will also have an attachable plow that isn't made yet.

Speed: 5
Traction: 4
Torque: 1
Weapon: 13
Armour: 7
(3 Weapon armour points transfered into the arm, 1 weapon armour left for the disc)

4 has been lucky for me in NASCARC so I'll use it here
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Picking number... TEN (10)... feet of spinning death, HA HA HA!

Starfish Prime
Stats:
Speed: 4
Traction: 3

Undercutter Config: Weapon 15, Armor 7
Flail Config: Weapon 14, Armor 8 (+1 weapon bar and flails)

Starfish Prime is a horizontal spinner with a special party trick: it can fight as either an undercutter or a flail!

How the config change works: First, the drive wheels. In the undercutter config the wheels stick out both the top and bottom, allowing Starfish Prime to run either way up. For the flail config they are replaced with smaller wheels mounted an inch higher. These ONLY stick out the "top," which really becomes the bottom: in the flail config the entire robot is upside-down.
The flail config is not invertable. It can also start inverted in undercutter mode. The power switch access holes are on the back of the robot to allow safe inverted powerup. Second, a pair of standoffs (shown here) are attached to the frame to allow the flail to clear the ground in front. In either config the tips of the weapon are about 4" off the ground in the front when the chassis is inverted. Third, the weapon drivetrain has two stages of chain reduction from the LEM-200 motor, with a friction clutch on the intermediate shaft. The first stage has a 2.5:1 ratio, the second stage is 1:1 in undercutter mode and 2:5:1 in flail mode. Accounting for aerodynamic drag, this gives the 42" long bars and the 10 ft diameter flail about the same tip speed of about 250-270 MPH.

Finally, the weapons themselves. The two undercutter bars - one straight and one curved - are 42" long, weigh about 90 lb, and store 80-90 kJ at 2,000 rpm. The flail assembly consists of a 5' long, 57 lb central bar and two 10 lb flail teeth at the end of 2' long Kevlar ropes, giving a total diameter of 10 feet (accounting for the height of the impactors). Each flail stores about 30 kJ at 750 rpm, with the central bar storing an additional 13 kJ. While the flail bar is longer and thinner, it's a slightly softer steel and is tempered to be springy, or worst-case bend slightly if it takes a direct hit, and the flails' ability to move reduces the stresses on it. The flail bar also has over an inch of vertical clearance from the chassis. The flails' central bar is long enough to keep them from getting caught on the chassis.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:17 am

Number 9

The Unpleasant Stomp Rocket

2WD wedge with a front clamp and a party trick at the back. Wheels are made up of rubber sections, so only a chunk of the wheel will be removed from a spinner impact. The side lifter arms are connected to the clamp mechanism similar to Hypothermia, which has a 90 range of motion (farther than the picture shown) And yes that is a fucking piston in the back to make the bot jump fite me :v

Basically what this thing will do: clamp, lift, ???, profit

https://youtu.be/6b4ZZQkcNEo

Speed: 6
Traction: 5
Torque: 2
Weapon: 7 (5/5)
Armor: 10 (+1 to the front 1/3 of the green wedge)
Last edited by Wolf51-50 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

patrickrowberry

Post by patrickrowberry » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:50 am

I choose the number 17

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... G_0884.JPG

hit and run

hit ( over bar spinner)
speed 1
traction 1
torque 1
weapon 14
armour 7

run ( invertible wedge)
speed 8
traction 8
torque 2
armour 6
Last edited by patrickrowberry on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Post by Trihunter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:41 am

#5: Highland Fling III

MUCKLE DARMED CULTISTS! 'AIR YOU NAMBLIES KEEPIN' ME WEE MEN!?

Speed: 4
Traction: 2
Weapon: 15
Armour: 8

Ah fuck. This time, HF3's brandishing a vicious angled face spinner, two wheel drive, and a more optimised wedge, with removable wedgelets. The face spinner can be swapped for a more traditional overhead bar, if need be. RPs that look like something stolen from /r/scottishpeopletwitter are mandatory.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Tcrrr
Team: Code Red Robotics

Post by Tcrrr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:56 am

Entering as number 8, since I got 8 brain cells
Sean The Wedges (choose which 2 you go for)
Sean the Wedges.png
Sean the Wedges.png (139.97 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Sean the Wedges (1).png
Sean the Wedges (1).png (157.87 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Sean the Wedges (2).png
Sean the Wedges (2).png (137.38 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Red Sean-
7 speed
5 traction
2 torque
0 weapon
10 armor