OSCARC 2018

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

OSCARC 2018

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:53 pm

With 2018 over and done with, it's time to take stock of the year that was and...eh, why don't we hand out some awards! Any member of the board can nominate one item for each category. If someone's already voted for that item, your vote acts as a 'confirmation'. Once each category has at least three nominated and confirmed items, or once it's clear that there won't be anymore nominations incoming, it'll be put to a vote on strawpoll, with the winners announced after one day of voting.

Alright, the time for nominating is over, and we're putting it to a final vote between teams that received at least two nominations. Click the links below to vote in the polls!

OSCARC 2018 Categories

Best Looking Bot (the coolest looking bot that fought or was rendered in 2018)

Krakatoa (1), Hovercrap (1), Death's Head Sarsaparilla (4), Pingu (1), The Beast from the West (1), Shellshock (1), Chicken Stew (1)

And the winner is... (by acclamation)

Death's Head Sarsaparilla!

Best Fight (between the RPs, the flow of the match, the stakes, and the entertainment value of the writeup)

Harpy vs Frogbot 2000: ROBOT2 MW Championship (5), Momma Bear vs Crash Blossom: Revival Championship (1)

Harpy vs. Frogbot 2000 in the ROBOT2 Middleweight championship match!

Most Successful Bot (who won the most and, more importantly, who won when it counted)

Richter (6), Sundancer (2), Override (1)

And the winner is...

Richter in a 5-2 vote!

Meta Influencer (which bot influenced the meta most this year?)

Dragonfist (5), Black Dog (2)

And the winner is...

we're still tied

Most Successful Team (between all events and bots, which team came out ahead the most)

Team Instant Regret (4), Angry Goat Robotics (1), The Monsterworks (2)

And the winner is...

Team Instant Regret in a 5-3 vote!

Rookie of the Year (which rookie team enjoyed the most success?)

Team Worst Swordsman (5), Team Design Flaw (5)

And the winner is...

we're still tied

Breakout Team (which veteran team upped the ante and took the next step?)

Aquatic Robotics (2), Team Stealth (6), Team Worst Swordsman (1)

And the winner is...

we're still tied

Best Meme (whether it was a bot, a fight, a pithy response, or something else, what was most memorably funny?)

Mimi-Chan (7), Life Alert! (1)

Mimi-Chan!

Favourite Event (which event did you enjoy participating in or watching the most?)

REDDIT (5), ROBOT2 (3), Reckoning: Revival (1)

And the winner is...

REDDIT in a 6-3 vote!

Favourite Arena (which arena did people most enjoy fighting in this year?)

Labyrinth - RoBattle (1), The Noir - ICECrown (2), The Battlebox - REDDIT (3), ROBOTS Arena - ROBOT2 (2), Vertigo - Reckoning: Revival (1)

And the winner is...

The Noir (from ICEcrown) in a 4-3-0 vote!

Upset of the Year (the least-expected result that ultimately made sense)

Vorpal Bunny def. Runaway Rabbit in ROBOT2 (5), RipTide def. Vorpal Bunny in ROBOT2 (2), Richter def. Sundancer in REDDIT (1), Momma Bear def. Crash Blossom in Reckoning: Revival (1)

And the winner is...

Vorpal Bunny's unexpected win over Runaway Rabbit in ROBOT2 by a 4-3 vote!

Biggest Surprise Run (a bot that nobody expected to win much that did just that)

Frogbot 2000 in ROBOT2 (2), Richter in REDDIT (3), The Thieving Magpie in ROBOT2 (3), MiDAS in RoBattle (1), Harpy in ROBOT2 (1)

And the winner is...

we're still tied

Bot of the Year (the bot that best combined success in the arena with looks with meta influence and originality)

Frogbot 2000 (5), Vorpal Bunny (1), Mimi-Chan (1), Magnolia Pico (2)

And the winner is...

we're still tied

Now, get to voting! Polls close Monday at 8:00 PM EST.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Re: OSCARC 2018

Post by Trihunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm

My nominations:

Best Rendered Bot: Kinda cheating, but all of the CBC3 arenas. If I have to pick something, then I'll go with... Krakatoa! Monsterworks has done great this year.
Best Fight: I can’t decide! Let's go for... Frogbot vs Harpy, ROBOT2 MW finals.
Most Successful Bot: Richter
Meta Influencer: Has to be Dragonfist. Flails, baybeeeeeeeeee
Most Successful Team: I forgot the name of it but HFL's team did solid.
Rookie of the Year: Team Worst Swordsman
Breakout Team: Aquatic Robotics
Best Meme: Call me a narcissist, but Mimi-Chan.
Best Event: REDDIT
Best Arena: RoBattle, Labyrinth arena. Well, I had fun writing for it.
Upset of the Year: Runaway Rabbit getting fucking snubbed in ROBOT2 FWs. If you want a specific match, Vorpal Bunny.
Biggest Surprise Run: Frogbot in ROBOT2.
Bot of the Year: Frogbot.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Best Looking Bot: Hovercrap (Team Design Flaw) - this rookie design deserves to be recognized, mainly for the uniqueness of the bot and smoothness yet complexity of the render. In general Maxi's a damned good renderer. I need to up my game!

Best Fight: Harpy vs Frogbot 2000 (ROBOT2 Middleweight finals) - listening to Ozzy Man Reviews is good for writing entertaining fights.

Most Successful Bot: Richter - Starting from a low seed, this thing won the biggest tournament of the year, beating a lot of the top seeds along the way. It's a shame and also a relief that it hasn't fought since.

Meta Influencer: Black Dog - I know it's a year on, but the dog's impact on the meta remains profound. Not only did it write the blueprint for how to beat dedicated bricks, it carved out an entirely new archetype of spinner. Just take a look at the dozens of bots that pay homage to it either in terms of stats or design.

Most Successful Team: Team Instant Regret (Hooray For Lexan) - I think I've made a good account of myself this year, despite limited activity during the early part of it, but HFL has really stepped it up, and won...at least three titles. From rock solid designs to excellent RPs, he deserves this spot as the year's top dog.

Rookie of the Year: Team Design Flaw - difficult choice here between two obvious contenders, but I think the Argentinian fellow just edges Rocket based on the sublime quality of his renders and a higher winning percentage. Both teams likely have bright futures ahead.

Breakout Team: Aquatic Robotics - Both Jack and Danielle were mid-level outfits before this season, with some moderate successes. This year saw both turn into legitimate and serious contenders. Jack's finally bagged a major title, though, so I've gotta give it to him.

Best Meme: Life Alert! - Mimi-Chan was funny, but felt a bit...manufactured. This one evolved organically and in good humour from an audacious design that was... less than well rendered. Kudos to Rocket for laughing it off and even buying into it. First bots are...hard. At least yours was memorable.

Favourite Event: REDDIT - The big reddit events are always fun just because of all the new faces and the sheer size of the draw. To his credit, Laz put aside his shit-disturber ways and managed this one in a fun, fair, and firm manner.

Favourite Arena: The Noir - Full disclosure, I rendered this thing for Laz, and was very happy with how it turned out. The aesthetic is something I'm just... into. More than that, though, it's a fun arena with interesting hazards and a good balance of features.

Upset of the Year: RipTide def. Vorpal Bunny (ROBOT2 FW finals) - Feels a bit icky to vote for oneself, doesn't it? At that point, though, Vorpal Bunny had plowed through even bots that were hard counters and was being looked at as unstoppable, with a couple of people in the chat even joking that I should just throw in the towel pre-emptively. That's a win to be proud of.

Biggest Surprise Run: Richter in REDDIT - credit where it's due. Most of us scratched our heads at this strangely statted, bog-standard britflipper, but HFL saw something in the draw and in the design that we didn't, and a brilliant run carried him to the year's biggest championship.

Bot of the Year: Magnolia Pico - Again, a self-vote, and one that I've changed. Pico wasn't just the first half of the year's beauty queen and the bot that I returned from a layoff with. It won a major title and made a deep playoff run in REDDIT against the grain of an established anti-walker and a burgeoning anti-hammer movement in the rules.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Best Looking Bot: Death's Head Sarsparilla

Best Fight:

Most Successful Bot: Sundancer

Meta Influencer: DragonFist

Most Successful Team:

Breakout Team: Team Stealth

Best Meme: Mimi-Chan

Favourite Event: REDDIT

Favourite Arena: The Battlebox

Upset of the Year: Vorpal Bunny vs. Runaway Rabbit (ROBOT2)

Biggest Surprise Run: The Thieving Magpie (ROBOT2)

Bot of the Year:

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Pingu

Best Fight (between the RPs, the flow of the match, the stakes, and the entertainment value of the writeup)

x

Most Successful Bot (who won the most and, more importantly, who won when it counted)

Override

Black Dog

Most Successful Team (between all events and bots, which team came out ahead the most)

I'm nominating myself for this fuck you :V

Worst Swordsman

honestly also Worst Swordsman

Best Meme (whether it was a bot, a fight, a pithy response, or something else, what was most memorably funny?)

x

Favorite Event (which event did you enjoy participating in or watching the most?)

x

Favorite Arena (which arena did people most enjoy fighting in this year?)

the ROBOTS arena

Vorpal Bunny vs Riptide

Biggest Surprise Run (a bot that nobody expected to win much that did just that)

MiDAS

Bot of the Year (the bot that best combined success in the arena with looks with meta influence and originality)

Vorpal Bunny

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Best Looking Bot: The Beast From The West, Team British Robotics
I really like the design of this robot, and I get a great sense of purpose out of it. There's also enough detail to make everything pop, but not so much as to be overwhelming. Honourable mentions go to Hovercrap from Team Design Flaw and Hercules from Team Aquatic Robotics
Best Fight: Frogbot vs. Harpy, ROBOT2 Middleweight Grand Final
This was just a great fight to read through. There was a lot of back and forth action and while it didn't exactly feature a whole lot of destruction, it felt way more exciting than those fights tend to for me. Honourable mentions go to Dragonfist vs. Bluemax (ROBOT2 Week 5 Middleweight Division) and Nasty Red Gabriel vs. Inferno Reformation (REDDIT Group B Third Round)
Most Successful Bot: Richter, Team Instant Regret
I love a good Britflipper, and Richter was certainly that, beating out the previously undefeated tournament favourite Sundancer to take home the title in REDDIT. Honourable mentions to Vorpal Bunny for its silver medal performance in ROBOT2, and, perhaps surprisingly, Gigaflare for managing to win right at the death and avoid taking home ROBOT2's only no-win record in the finals.
Meta Influencer: Dragonfist, Team Worst Swordsman
It feels crass to self-vote here, but the latter half of 2018 has been dominated by surprise performances from flail spinners. Shell spinners and flails looked like a solidly useless combination on paper, but they trounced a lot of more established designs and made even veteran robots adapt to something hitherto considered about as threatening as a kitten made of rose petals. An honourable mention goes to Screamroller, currently having something of a miracle run in ICECrown with an even more supposedly off-meta design - the vertical flail.
Most Successful Team: Team Instant Regret
Taking home a slew of major tournament golds and silvers across multiple weight classes, HFL's assortment of robots didn't really have a common theme beyond an excellent grasp of design and RP fundamentals. An honourable mention goes to Team Cool Story Brobotics, who scooped a large amount of trophies at ROBOT2... though, er, perhaps not the ones they wanted.
Rookie Of The Year: Team Design Flaw
For someone who doesn't speak English as a first language and who's only been a member for a few months, Team Design Flaw's design work is, contrary to the name, absolutely exceptional. To do all that and write both solid RPs and engaging, fun matches is a very good thing indeed, and I look forward to the years to come. An honourable mention goes to Team Worst Swordsman, because again, it's a bit gauche to self-vote in these situations.
I'm new around here, but Team Stealth always struck me as kind of a middle-of-the-pack contestant in a lot of tourneys beforehand. This year, she seriously stepped it up, and some absolute Cinderella runs followed, including a titanic tussle for the ROBOT2 Middleweight Grand Final. Honourable mentions go to Team Aquatic Robotics, for their win at ROBOT2 with a bright green spring flipper, and The Monsterworks, for finally claiming their work as their own after a long, long time.
REDDIT was a very fun tournament to take part in, not least because of a lot of deeply weird entries. The best, of course, was Mimi-Chan, who... well, check the REDDIT competition subreddit and see what I mean. An honourable mention goes to the constant memeing of Tabor throughout REDDIT concerning its propensity for falling over all the damn time.
Favourite Event: ROBOT2
REDDIT might have been the most fun, but ROBOT2 was the one I felt the most proud to have been a part of. When it was looking like the tournament wasn't going to even make it to the postseason before everyone lost interest, the writing team rallied around and produced some exceptional matches. An honourable mention goes to REDDIT, though, because like I said it was the most fun to be around.
Favourite Arena: The Noir, ICECrown
Let's make something absolutely clear: in my opinion, The Noir is straight-up gorgeous. It takes all the best parts of robot combat's Nineties aesthetic and introduces a sense of polish and purpose that makes it a really fun arena to write matches in. An honourable mention goes to Buzludzha, because I like me some proletarian symbolism.
Upset of the Year: Vorpal Bunny vs. Runaway Rabbit, ROBOT2 Week 5 Featherweight Division
Full disclosure: I wrote this one. I know it's an upset. I know it's a bit controversial in some circles. However, I felt and still feel that VB had the better RP and tactics for that fight. Still, horizontals getting the better of bigboi w0dges is an upset, and I have to acknowledge my part in that. An honourable mention goes to Hobart vs. Flash Flood (ROBOT2 Week 7 Lightweight Division), in which a vertical flail robot with two armour on its chassis won a JD against a hitherto-unbeaten brick.
Surprise of the Year: Frogbot 2000's ROBOT2 run
Frogbot lost to Dragonfist in the ROBOT2 group stages. Run that through your head again. The overall champion was a bot that lost early on to a flail-wielding shell spinner. And yet, Jack bounced back - or possibly hopped back - to give us probably the best match of the year, and certainly the best final. What a run. Honourable mentions go to Harpy's run from that same tournament, Richter's Cinderella story in REDDIT, and RoBattle... well, everything about RoBattle, to be honest with you.
Bot of the Year: Frogbot 2000, Team Instant Regret
Frogbot 2000 is has a very narrow flipper, a big expanse of flat surfaces to smash with direct-damage weapons, and honest-to-God googly eyes. Frogbot 2000 is a tanky flipper that lost to a shell spinner with dubious self-righting capabilities. Frogbot 2000 is the kind of machine that on paper maybe makes the playoffs but crashes out immediately thereafter to either an insane deathspinner or tryhard brick. Frogbot 2000 is not supposed to be a champion. Frogbot 2000 is my 2018 Bot of the Year. Honourable mentions go to Dragonfist for its influence on the meta, Vorpal Bunny for its influence on the ROBOT2 featherweight title race, and Sundancer for its influence on the top panels of its opponents across multiple competitions.
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Best Rendered Bot: Death's Head Sarsaparilla. I've seen some good looking full bodied spinners, but when Monsterworks puts his magic on this design, it takes the Cake almost right away.

Best Fight: Frogbot 2000 vs Harpy. What else? :V

Most Successful Bot: Richter. Team Instant Regret has been known for making extra engineered renders since the beginning, and this time it really paid off. More than it usually does already.

Meta Influencer: Dragonfist. In the long and distant past, FBS were seen as a nostalgic breed of robots that wouldn't have as much success as they would today. Before there was DHS topping it off in ICE crown, Dragonfist completely innovated the spinning shell design, adding a mix of undercutter blade's to take on the low wedges, and long reaching flails for everything else. This is actually the first time a shell spinner got that far into the playoffs since Cryoseism :V, so yeah.

Most Successful Team: The Monsterworks. It's always a long climb, but Alex always brings his A game whether it comes to design or RP. He's been borderline top tier status for awhile and now he's truly on top with the big bois.

Rookie of the Year: Team Worst Swordsman. Surprises never end

Breakout Team: Team Stealth. Incoming life sized Ray Billings balloons.

Best Meme: THAT FUCKING THING. I mean Mimi-Chan

Best Event: ROBOT2

Best Arena:

Upset of the Year: I still can't get over the fact that I managed to skewer Vorpal Bunny on my clamping arm :v. But if you want an upset, Runaway Rabbit taking a serious shot in ROBOT2. Hey, brackets do this kinda stuff to ya sometimes. Feelsbadman

Biggest Surprise Run: Harpy - ROBOT2.

Bot of the Year: Attackfrog and his attack frog. I'm so happy I get to make that joke now

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

Post by Shaba117 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Best Looking Bot: DHS

Best Fight: Harpy vs Frogbot 2000

Most Successful Bot: Richter

Best Meme: Mimi-chan

Favorite Event: ROBOT2

Favorite Arena: The BattleBox (REDDIT)

Upset of the Year: Vorpal Bunny def. Runaway Rabbit in ROBOT2

Biggest Surprise Run: The Thieving Magpie in ROBOT2

Bot of the Year: FrogBot 2000

Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Post by Noisy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Best Looking Bot: Shellshock - Yes I'm voting for myself but hear me out, I put so much into this one. Fully rendered rotary engine with fuel tank, exhaust, mecanum wheels, gearing and that weird shell.

Best Fight: -

Most Successful Bot: -

Meta Influencer: -

Most Successful Team: -

Rookie of the Year: YSMQTHLQYH

Breakout Team: Shaba117

Favourite Event: REDDIT - It brought me back here.

Favourite Arena: ROBOT2

Upset of the Year: Richter winning REDDIT

Biggest Surprise Run: The Thieving Magpie (ROBOT2)

Bot of the Year: Mimi-Chan - It just has to be.

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Death's Head Sarsaparilla
There where a lot of very good looking ones but i will chose DHS because reasons

Harpy vs Frogbot 2000
10/10 whould read again

Richter
If Richter wins my loss against it whould be less humiliating

Dragonfist
Flail meta FTW

Team Instant Regret
IDK very good overall

Team Design Flaw
It's basically a dispute between me and rocket and i vote myself because the thing says most success, ATM my record breaks even at 6-6 and i am prety sure that Team Worst Swordsman has more L than W, so technically i win

I am not sure so i pass on this one

Mimi-Chan
It's a meme, what kind of description are you expecting

Favourite Event (which event did you enjoy participating in or watching the most?)
REDDIT
IDK how to put this, i just really liked it

Favourite Arena (which arena did people most enjoy fighting in this year?)
The Battlebox - REDDIT
Easy to understand, not too bland nor too gimmicky

I pass here too

Richter in REDDIT
I mean, i didn't expect this to go far in the playoffs, much less winning the entire thing

Frogbot 2000
Even if i made multiple votes to Richter in this post, this category isn't only about performance and TBH Richter looks kinda bland and isn't exactly original, so vote Frogbot instead
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53

Killjoy

Post by Killjoy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 am

Best looking bot: Chicken Stew because pizza

Best fight: Momma Bear vs Crash Blossom because I won :P

Most successful: Sundancer because Laz says so.How it didn't win a title is beyond me

Meta: Nuts 2 lol. It does well on robot wars and suddenly there are like a dozen flail bots

Best Team: The Monsterworks because I accept payment in cash only. But seriously, Alex didn't enter many events but won three titles

ROTY: YSMQYHVKJVQRTDFGATH or whatever because his renders are just really nice and his bots are original but still win

Breakout Team: Team Stealth. Jack was already good but unlucky. Danielle stepped up bigtime

Event: Revival because it literally revived the community during a dry time

Arena: Vertigo. IDK, it's just cool

Upset: Momma Bear def. Crash Blossom because the undefeated champ falls to a relative newbie. Homerism too

Surprise run: Richter. That thing was seeded in the bottom half and people made fun of its stat allocation. Who's laughing now?

Bot of the year: Magnolia Pico because it's beautiful, won a tournament, and bucked the meta