The Skybroken Shore

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:24 pm

"D' ye know th' wherabouts of th' caravan, and can ya tell us what happened to th' bridge?"
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:30 am

"I can answer those together - I don't know where the caravan is, I had a messenger dove a month back saying it had got as far as Porthcollen, but would be delayed while they cleared up a rockslide that had made the road impassible. I'm not supposed to leave the tower so I had no way of checking progress but when I saw smoke coming from a few miles down the road yesterday I thought it must finally be the caravan. Big mistake eh?" - he coughs in a way that sounds like the time he has left is minimal - "It was these morons, I ran back here with Henry to stop them taking the tower, and one of them dropped his torch on the bridge in the fight. Idiots..."

Getting inside and at least a bit warmed up, he feels his magic slowly beginning to return - he won't be back to full power until tomorrow, but could probably project a pebble or two as a high speed projectile at this point if needed.
Last edited by Alexjh on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:28 am

Granite overheard the conversation, and comes closer, having new bravado with his slightly restored powers.

"Mole! I saw signs of what seemed to be, believe it or not, an Yrthi out there. Do you know more of that?"

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:45 am

The Skine looks puzzled for a bit and then recalls...

"Ah....the ape-men?.... Yrthi... is that what they.... what they are?"

He pauses for a second, more blood drips from the corner of his mouth.

"I have seen some around the last few weeks....the first..... Henry woke me up in the middle of the night barking loudly.... I looked from the arrowslit on the top floor and saw this huge ape.... clad in furs... it was maybe 4 men high and carried a big club.... But it looked.... tired....hungry.... scared.... it didn't come near the tower.... didn't like the fire I thought.... and Henry's barking echoing out of it probably helped. After a while it moved on... South I think.

A pair came later... one the same size, one even bigger, and they looked even thinner... they came a big closer but... I lit up all the torches and got Henry barking as much as I could and they ran off North... But they looked like they were getting desperate... I hope they don't hurt anyone, would be very hard to stop if they were desperate enough to risk fire...."

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:22 am

The Skine is looking worse for wear and he really won't be here for long, any questions you have must be asked quickly....

(Real world translations: before I get back from work tonight)

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:11 pm

"any idea why these 'ere pirates were this far inland?"
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:33 pm

The Skine is serious flagging now, and his words are barely a whisper

"For the raiders... I'd guess....something....very wrong everywhere....forced them off their islands....must be bad, worse than here even.....they are..... tough peoples...."

"For things you can use.... upstairs....study.... maps and books... maybe useful..... in.... the basement.... food supplies..... over.....there... weapon's chest.... in...my... room.................."
He trails off, and the whimpering from Henry tells you he is truly gone now.

The party manages to find a small raft hidden unused in a corner, and because of the need to not have anything that would attract predators or scavengers, they wrap up his body in some sheets, place him on the river and Granite decides to set it a flame - a true warrior's funeral (and he hopes, it might freak out any Yrthi who happen to be in the vicinity). After they have watched the raft drift off around the bend, they return to the tower to do some provisional searching for things that can be used.

Though not a full on detailed search, even a provisional search reveals:

- A harness for Henry that will let you use him to carry your things
- What should be about twenty days of supplies for the village
- Two thick otter-fur cloaks: very good for keeping out the wind and water.
- An old but masterfully made spear
- A detailed map of the region
- A well maintained crossbow with 14 bolts
- A chainmail shirt
- Four medium length swords of cheap construction.
- A bag of 463 copper coins.
- A strong fishing rod with a selection of lures.
- A small library of books on various subjects - too many to take with you.

- The other two Sea-raiders had very much the same sort of stuff on them as the first, though one of them you note seems to have expensive scale-mail for armour - surely this is the equipment of a successful raider, but if that is the case, why does he look so gaunt?

Lastly, the Skine's journal is on his desk - much of the stuff is fairly generic reports which are neither interesting nor relevant, but you pay particular attention to what he is written about the last few months. A few more pieces of information slip through - it seems like there had been something wrong with the harbour at Porthcollen and they'd had trouble fixing it - though he seems confused as to why they allegedly sent for a shaman to fix it rather than someone more practical? It also mentioned at the last report that the caravan-master was getting tetchy and threatening to leave despite the mudslide. On the subject of that though, it does seem like it should be easily passable by the group of you, just not by the wagons. It seems like he had connected the strange noises that you'd been hearing to the Yrthi, but apparently those at Portcollen hadn't.

Either way it is now getting late, and you take your rest, making sure all the lamps are lit, just in case of Yrthi being about...

The morning finds Granite's magic at full strength again, and the group have choices ahead of them - finding the caravan seems the logical option still, however, the supplies they've found here would be welcomed by the villager, even if not enough for the long term. It at least seems the caravan certainly got to Porthcollen though, so it should only be another day and a half away...
Last edited by Alexjh on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:41 pm

"so uh, d' we want ta take this stuff back t' th' village, or....?"
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:07 am

"Oh man, the village... see you are not wrong, that would be good, but every fiber in my body just wants to find out more about these events asap!"

Cha0sFerret

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Cha0sFerret » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:53 pm

"Aye, these supplies won't last our village very long. We oughta find the caravan first."
poopity scoop

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 am

While considering their options, they consider that they could take the supplies with them now, or leave them in the cellar here which should probably be safe for a few days.

(OOC: Is that a decision for finding the caravan?)

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 am

lets march onwards to the caravan! with some food!

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:24 am

The trio load up the supplies onto Henry and set off on the Portcollen road.

The path winds up into the low mountains, and the going in hard, the path winding between steep crags covered in pine forest. At least the day is a bit warmer than it has been of late, and despite everything else, for a moment you could almost forget the seriousness of what is going on. As you crest the highest point of the trail, you look back and can see the headland where Grimcove lies and ahead to Porthcollen. However, there is an odd tinge of red to the distant speck of town that seems odd. After a breather for a bit of food, you continue onwards.

The other side of the mountain is a different affair - while the ascent had been light and airy, with the calling of birds and chattering of squirrels, the descent passes through the forboding Gryce's Gully.

Here the mountains form a barrier on South, East and West, keeping the whole place in a gloom that matches the mood of the place. Instead of the mixed trees, shrubs and wild herbs of the North side, the Gully seems to only be filled with the dark blue-green needled Night Pines, which flourish in this place where nothing else does. The floor is coated with nothing but dead needles and the odd noxious smelling mushroom where a tree has fallen. Even the birds seem limited to the cooing of Hill Pigeons in the treetops, and their reputation as a particularly foolish bird does nothing to reassure you of your safety here.

As you wind downwards though you stop, as you get a view of the next section of the path below you - you can see where the rockslide took place, taking off a substantial section of the cliff and covering the path in thick shale boulders that a caravan should not be able to cross. Yet, that is not the concerning thing here.

It seems someone did try to bring the caravan over it and it got wedged between two particularly angular boulders - the supplies you want are just below you. But so is a creature you've come across the presence of before - a Yrthi.

This one is not as massive as the one whose footprints you found, but still nearly twice as tall as any of you, and wearing thick furs but seems starved beneath them. Currently it is eating something, crouched, blocking your view of it, though as it moves briefly, a brief glimpse of a hand on the floor makes you sick to your gut. On the plus side, it is currently looking the opposite direction to you and concentrated on feeding, and even at that, a fair way below your vantage point...

The supplies you need are so close now, and only this Yrthi stands in your way...

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 pm

"'nless any o' you got a better idea, I'm of th' thought of sneakin' up on th' bastard, stabbin' him t' death all quick like. you" he says, pointing at granite" c'n hide back 'ere and attack th' thing if it notices me, or if my plan of attack goes awry in some other way, yeah? As fer you Lucky, ya wanna maybe 'ide over in th' forest, up a tree or sommat, and distract it with stones iffn that's somethin' we need?"

he looks at the dog. "I dunno how t' include him in this plot"
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Cha0sFerret

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Cha0sFerret » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:05 am

"Perhaps our doggy can come with me, keep wildlife off my back and whatnot. Don't wanna be alone, y'know?"
poopity scoop