The Multiverse!

Here's the space for any RPGs that aren't Robot Combat related. Find sign-ups and related information in here!

Moderators: Alexjh, The Monsterworks

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

The Multiverse!

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am

Then I'm gonna have to sit this one out.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

The Multiverse!

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:42 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TotallyNotSatan</dt><dd>Mar 22 2016, 11:28 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2016, 11:17 AM</dd></dl><div>In Kody's defense it didn't say anything in the sign-ups about it needing to be a completely original character and most other RPG leagues haven't had that requirement either.[/quote]That clause has now been added.[/quote]This seems like a rather silly rule. I mean realistically if the character isn't a completely mainstream (i.e. "I'm entering Batman lolz&#33;&#33;&#33;") then I don't really see the issue. I mean how many people here outside of Kody know much (or anything really) about the character he wanted to use?

At that point it's functionally the same as an original character anyway. Some people (myself included) are more comfortable working with a character that has some established perimeters rather than trying to completely build it from the ground up themselves.

For an RPG league on FRA, both Kody and I used characters borrowed from other sources and it worked out completely fine. I think that as long as you're generally faithful to the character there's not a real problem.

As another example, for Kody's previous RPG, I entered my version of Commander Shepard form Mass Effect. Shepard is a fairly customizable character (appearance, personal history, abilities, you get the idea). If I wanted to do the same here, would that trip up on your rule, because I could certainly argue otherwise.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

TotallyNotSatan

The Multiverse!

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2016, 11:42 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TotallyNotSatan</dt><dd>Mar 22 2016, 11:28 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2016, 11:17 AM</dd></dl><div>In Kody's defense it didn't say anything in the sign-ups about it needing to be a completely original character and most other RPG leagues haven't had that requirement either.[/quote]That clause has now been added.[/quote]This seems like a rather silly rule. I mean realistically if the character isn't a completely mainstream (i.e. "I'm entering Batman lolz&#33;&#33;&#33;") then I don't really see the issue. I mean how many people here outside of Kody know much (or anything really) about the character he wanted to use?

At that point it's functionally the same as an original character anyway. Some people (myself included) are more comfortable working with a character that has some established perimeters rather than trying to completely build it from the ground up themselves.

For an RPG league on FRA, both Kody and I used characters borrowed from other sources and it worked out completely fine. I think that as long as you're generally faithful to the character there's not a real problem.

As another example, for Kody's previous RPG, I entered my version of Commander Shepard form Mass Effect. Shepard is a fairly customizable character (appearance, personal history, abilities, you get the idea). If I wanted to do the same here, would that trip up on your rule, because I could certainly argue otherwise. [/quote]I'm fine with it being based off of a character from shows and games. Just please, try not to make it a complete copy, okay?

NWOWWE

The Multiverse!

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Wait...

I think this point is going to need some clarification. I mean what would be the cutoff between using the character as a basis and copying?

I mean Kody told me that PallaPalla doesn't have the powers he chose in the source material. Surely that might be enough deviation? At that point he's just using the established character as a descriptive base.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy

The Multiverse!

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:37 pm

At any rate I'm absolutely terrible with making OCs, or even twisting characters into the realms of being OCs. Blotter the Marowak is a special case because I like Pokemon and can easily work with the source material. But that wouldn't be accepted here because the required character needs to be human. MadBull pointed out that I could probably make him a human Marowak, but that would feel incredibly awkward. :v:

PallaPalla is more or less human, and I'm not going to draw some shitty picture of her with a few modifications so that's why I have those images. As for powers, well, if she were accepted here the only similar power she would have with her other counterpart is the voodoo magic, and it's amplified here. She also has water and ice based powers that for some reason her actual self didn't have (which is a lot of claptrap IMO).

Listen, if you think you would have a problem with using the character in the RPG, like I pointed out with scorpion1m's character in my RPG, please, just come out and tell me. It's better than reasoning such as "don't completely copy characters" which I don't really do. Me and Josh at least try and find a bit of deviation, and to be honest we find it easier to have fun with actual characters than OCs anyway.

In the end, though, it's your RPG. Do what you will. I just find it a rather close-minded approach.

TotallyNotSatan

The Multiverse!

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I don't have a problem with your character; just the copying part. But sure, keep your character if you want. (No sarcasm or bitterness meant here. Seriously.)

Just one clarification, though. Can your Amazon stone do stuff like turn the water in your blood to ice or shit like that? Cause if so, that seems just a tad bit overpowered.
Last edited by TotallyNotSatan on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That Kode Guy

The Multiverse!

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 am

...no, she can only control water and ice that are... present? I don't know how to describe it properly (thanks a lot Marti :P) but controlling water in someone's body is impossible.

MadBull

The Multiverse!

Post by MadBull » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am

here's a question...

How far does the "tech doesnt work on Earth 4"-thing go? By which I mean that a paperclip for all intents and purposes is technology. Where's the line? Will a crossbow work? An old blunderbuss? A modern-day gun?

NWOWWE

The Multiverse!

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 am

An interesting question. My best guess from what he writes as description for Earth-4 is that he's referring to electronic technology. I would imagine a weapon that works via blackpowder/gunpowder could work. I would also postulate that crossbows could be a thing. I mean crossbows are present in the Wizarding world of Harry Potter where the vast majority of the magical population don't know the first thing about electronic technology.

TotallyNotSatan

The Multiverse!

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:30 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 23 2016, 09:12 AM</dd></dl><div>An interesting question. My best guess from what he writes as description for Earth-4 is that he's referring to electronic technology. I would imagine a weapon that works via blackpowder/gunpowder could work. I would also postulate that crossbows could be a thing. I mean crossbows are present in the Wizarding world of Harry Potter where the vast majority of the magical population don't know the first thing about electronic technology.[/quote]This is correct. Basically anything that was invented before my grandparents were born just fails to work(but it works again once you leave.)

NWOWWE

The Multiverse!

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TotallyNotSatan</dt><dd>Mar 23 2016, 11:30 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 23 2016, 09:12 AM</dd></dl><div>An interesting question. My best guess from what he writes as description for Earth-4 is that he's referring to electronic technology. I would imagine a weapon that works via blackpowder/gunpowder could work. I would also postulate that crossbows could be a thing. I mean crossbows are present in the Wizarding world of Harry Potter where the vast majority of the magical population don't know the first thing about electronic technology.[/quote]This is correct. Basically anything that was invented before my grandparents were born just fails to work(but it works again once you leave.)[/quote]I'm hoping you meant AFTER, because you're saying is the exact opposite of what you want Earth-4 to be.

MadBull

The Multiverse!

Post by MadBull » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:43 am

... when were your grandparents born?

That Kode Guy

The Multiverse!

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:48 am

PallaPalla doesn't understand and her head hurts&#33;

The Mangle

The Multiverse!

Post by The Mangle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:51 am

Sounds like you guys have a problem. The easiest solution to me appears to be to let the host make the rules a bit easier to understand, or alternatively have a set of guidelines put in place for things like this.

Since this post is unlikely to reach (damn internet connection), what exactly are the technology and species rules for this game? It appears to heavily feature characters for the Dark Ages with crossbows and arrows and bows, plus motherfucking swords.

NWOWWE

The Multiverse!

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:15 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The Mangle</dt><dd>Mar 23 2016, 11:51 AM</dd></dl><div>Since this post is unlikely to reach (damn internet connection), what exactly are the technology and species rules for this game? It appears to heavily feature characters for the Dark Ages with crossbows and arrows and bows, plus motherfucking swords.[/quote]Well the species rule for entrants at least was made clear in that they have to be human.