Robot Bastards 2: The New Era - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Shaba117</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 11:46 PM</dd></dl><div>Alright, first off, congrats to Playzooki, Adam, and Charles&#33;

Yeah, the armor bonus thing-doesn't affect any of my bots, so I'm not touching that subject-that's up to BEES to deal with that issue.

Concerning my H/W match: <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> Eventually the hazards take their toll on Death Metal and put it down for the count.
Hellhound wins by KO in 1:58[/quote]

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> The Robot Bastards Arena features: Edit
-Killsaws: 7 damage

-Pulverizers in each corner: 7 damage

-Arena Drums in each corner: 7 damage[/quote]

Death Metal has 7 armor and HH sure didn't cause enough damage with 1 weapon point (and internal damage isn't an issue with DM, either). How would DM get K.O.'d?

[/quote]Probably the good 'ol writer's too lazy to write any more of the match KO :V
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 am

Kek, this ^

I've been there before myself. Doesn't change the outcome of the match, IMO, but you're right to point it out. Also, if points matter in playoff qualification and subsequent matchups, it should probably be looked at, TBF.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

Blarg. This one thing I hate about the damage scale. :P

What's the point of even having hazards that don't have enough weapon points to cause any damage at all to most bots? :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Feb 17 2017, 10:51 AM</dd></dl><div>Blarg. This one thing I hate about the damage scale. :P

What's the point of even having hazards that don't have enough weapon points to cause any damage at all to most bots? :v:[/quote]I think we shouldn't bother with giving hazards specific weapon values, you either have them too high and fuck over spinners, or too low and barely anyone takes any damage. There is no middle ground.

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 am

I kind of agree with zooks on this one.

I can see why having 7 point hazards is pointless, but then again, how much damage do they usually do anyways irl? They've always been 75% for show.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

The hazards are pool noodles. Robots that have <5 armor will get hurt by them. For everyone else it's just a JD feature. This is important because in tournaments where the hazards are 12 or something retarded, only high armored bots are really viable unless the writers take huge liberties to help out spinners/flippers/hammers.

I believe we're missing Pterodactyl vs Whipcoil but otherwise we're finished now, and only a week late&#33; Truly off to a rolling start. :v: Week 2 will be pushed back obviously.

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Do you need me to sub in and write it?
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 pm

OK, hopefully that should give me some time to redefine my approach accordingly. The 500-character limit might've turned my usual RPing style completely on its head, but now that I've had some time to ponder it- I'm just going to say that it'll be a dark day when I'm kept down by something like that. :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:19 pm

So out of curiosity, what is the design flaw in DUDES design? This is literally the first time I have heard of it so I'd love some clarification.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm not completely sure, given I wasn't here when D.U.D.E. was first built, but I think it might be that the flipper is a box instead of a wedge. Certain wedge designs might be able to get under the flipper itself. Being a dustpan design, that doesn't hurt it much. But I can see how some writers might be a bit skeptical on it. That's about it though. I can see it making the playoffs this time around
Alpha Robotics - Embrace the carnage!]

tune in next time on ARC when I one-up Boto by posting my vast collection of Thomas The Tank Engine hentai on the Discord :V -HFL

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:24 pm

I think they're saying that in the picture, the flipper literally cuts into the chassis so that the chassis is interfering with its ability to flip. Personally, I think that's really pedantic and it's obviously just a rendering error.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

BEES

Post by BEES » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The Monsterworks</dt><dd>Feb 21 2017, 09:24 PM</dd></dl><div>I think they're saying that in the picture, the flipper literally cuts into the chassis so that the chassis is interfering with its ability to flip. Personally, I think that's really pedantic and it's obviously just a rendering error.[/quote]Some bots have had their weapons written as not working from time to time. Best way to guarantee it works is to draw a version of it that could work. :v:

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Post by Mystic2000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

So, after seeing way too late, Spatula's roll call video, i'm just gonna add a precision to how Hell's Grasp weapon works to make sure there isn't any confusion, basically, the block thing with the spatula, is actually a lifter, this clamp has both parts mobile, the block lifts, and the claw thing comes down, just a little precision since we aren't too far in the tournament and i don't wanna have writers confused at how this works, hopefully Spatula is fine with that

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:31 am

So, looks like I have all three robots fighting this week, up against Bunx, Outrage, and Methane (Poo Gas?). Let's hope it goes a bit better than my first week&#33;
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>BEES</dt><dd>Feb 21 2017, 10:44 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The Monsterworks</dt><dd>Feb 21 2017, 09:24 PM</dd></dl><div>I think they're saying that in the picture, the flipper literally cuts into the chassis so that the chassis is interfering with its ability to flip. Personally, I think that's really pedantic and it's obviously just a rendering error.[/quote]Some bots have had their weapons written as not working from time to time. Best way to guarantee it works is to draw a version of it that could work. :v: [/quote]See, for me, the crux of the issue is whether the robot doesn't work because it's poorly designed and just demonstrates a basic lack of understanding of how its vital systems work or whether someone just didn't quite know how to make a a component line up, scale, or differentiate from a neighbouring component 100% on their rendering app. Instances of the former should absolutely be punished and often have been. However, in my opinion, punishing people for the latter (as long as their design intent is reasonably clear) is kind of elitist and against the spirit of what we're trying to do here. It presents a barrier to entry for players who may not be as skilled at rendering or who may not have as much time to dedicate to it.

Ultimately, that's just my opinion and only holds whatever weight you're willing to give it. It's your tournament. Do what you do. Thanks.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)