Robot Bastards 2: The New Era - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:29 am

Wait... If you didn't think you'd be ffed for going over the limit, what did you think the purpose of it was, exactly? Bit useless to have it unenforced :V
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:54 am

I slightly disagree with the HW result in terms of how often Undertow got access to the sides, but then the fight would have been boring :P Good fights Attackfrog!
Alpha Robotics - Embrace the carnage!]

tune in next time on ARC when I one-up Boto by posting my vast collection of Thomas The Tank Engine hentai on the Discord :V -HFL

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am

The rule wasn't meant to target you Alex. You're just a casualty of war.

Everyone's RPs were getting really long in recent tournaments--to the point that it became a huge burden for writers to read them and factor them into their fights. The problem is that if a few people do super-long RPs, then everyone else feels compelled to do the same, otherwise what if the other guy said something doesn't work and I didn't counter it and I lose because I had a shorter RP? It becomes an arms race with no end.

Most robots don't need long RPs. A few sentences will do.

V'Ger is one of the more complicated robots in the tournament and look at its RP. 460 characters. Is it really missing anything? Trim out the pretty english and connecting phrases and stick to a list of tactics, and you can say a lot in 500 characters.

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

I wanted to minimize the strain on writers as much as possible.

We have 23 teams. That's 69 robots and 34 fights per week... that's a lot of fights and we have two less weight classes than CBC, so you can imagine why writers were burning out in that tournament!

Now imagine writing 34 fights, and having to read a 1500 word RP for every single robot.

Too much!

winternimbus
Team: Team Foxtrot Uniform

Post by winternimbus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

>get all losses in week 1

yeah i'm lookin good
winter! she/they/it pronouns, trans rights babey!

ROBOT FIGHT NIGHT: MINI
Break Dash - 1-1
Neophyte Redglare - 1-1

Neophyte Redglare - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals, Cherry Bomb Classic 3 Quarter-Finals
America Offline - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals

"I'm curious what tactical advantage you're hoping to gain by sacrificing a portion of your bots size/weight for a deployable banana"
-NWOWWE, 2017

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Had some bad luck but I think your MW will bring it back.

patrickrowberry

Post by patrickrowberry » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:43 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>BEES</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 02:51 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>patrickrowberry</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 02:29 AM</dd></dl><div>why is true hero wedge to big for armour

when raven and hellhound both get armour and are bigger then true hero's wedge[/quote]Hmm... I agree that it should get the armor bonus. Although I don't think it would affect the direction of the fight.

[/quote]i think this would have changed the result of the match

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Huh. Good point from Pat. I think it's ok for now, but i think that might need changing soon. I don't want to sound blunt, but I don't think we should be excusing wedges and plows that are well over the 1/3 limit in future tournaments. A majority of the people here have been here long enough to know that the said plow or wedge must be 1/3 of the surface area (or at least be close enough where it seems realistic). Again, I apologize for spitting on some of the rammers, but this could be a problem in future tournaments
Maybe we can find a way to define this rule better?
Alpha Robotics - Embrace the carnage!]

tune in next time on ARC when I one-up Boto by posting my vast collection of Thomas The Tank Engine hentai on the Discord :V -HFL

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:05 pm

since this is apparently becoming somewhat of an issue, I shall come in and make an Official Match-Writer Statement :V

first of all, BEES, you seem to have earlier agreed with me that True Hero's wedge was too large for an armor bonus

Part-time-Unicorn - 01/27/2017
as a side note, while going through robots so far it appears as though Pat's HW has an armor bonus over most of the robot
BEES - 01/27/2017
then it has no armor bonus at all
the 1/3rd rule will be STRICTLY ENFORCED

so I was going off of that interaction. I do stand by this decision either way though; your wedge encompasses over half of the full length of your robot. if that's not more than 1/3, I have some issues with that rule.
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:20 pm

There is no issue.

Whether it has 10 armor or 7 armor on that wedge, it loses to Ridley because it's made of corners all over, and that's still enough of a point difference. It's also one of the few fights where I think that tail could actually be pretty useful. As for the quote... totally wasn't paying attention at all to the convo. But I suppose you've got me. I'll concede. :v:

Actually it occurred to me that Dead probably breaks the 1/3rd rule as soon as I read its fight. A couple other bots have problems as well. Pat's bot is borderline. I could see it going either way.
Last edited by BEES on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>BEES</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 06:20 PM</dd></dl><div>Actually it occurred to me that Dead probably breaks the 1/3rd rule as soon as I read its fight. A couple other bots have problems as well. Pat's bot is borderline. I could see it going either way.

[/quote]doesn't Dead get an exception, being a spinner?
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 06:56 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>BEES</dt><dd>Feb 16 2017, 06:20 PM</dd></dl><div>Actually it occurred to me that Dead probably breaks the 1/3rd rule as soon as I read its fight. A couple other bots have problems as well. Pat's bot is borderline. I could see it going either way.

[/quote]doesn't Dead get an exception, being a spinner?[/quote]Yes.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:18 pm

1-2 is not a terrible start I guess. I lost a fight I was expecting to win and won a fight I was expecting to lose. I have some objections to the way a couple things played out though:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> That long range on the front flipper gives Frogbot an issue that when someone gets close, it actually has no way to defend itself.[/quote]
I had a strategy for this, actually: "If he's at my side, turn in to get the tongue under his side and flip fast." The tongue has pointy sides for a reason: so that I can spin around and get underneath someone when they're right next to me. Or is the point that I wouldn't be able to turn with another robot next to me?
And against Sucker Punch,
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>the wedge does manage to slip under Water Strider's weapon with little harm done, causing the back of Water Strider's big disc to hit the floor, slowing it.[/quote]
Water Strider is an undercutter, so the disk is quite close to the ground. That wedge looks at least a couple inches high. Even if it did slip underneath, it would have gotten hit by one of the teeth doing so and taken some damage.

Ah whatever, I'm just griping. I don't know if these things would have made any difference in the outcomes. I just don't want my robots to be misrepresented.

Good fights, Wolf/Drew&#33; I seriously thought I was screwed against Coup de Grace.

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Good to see Hoarfrost and Hellhound doing what they're built to do. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those seasons for Meanstreak. People just don't have any confidence in a high-speed, low-armour control spinner. I should've learned from the old HWR's example.

As far as Hellhound's bonus goes, it's close for sure, but I was informed that it was alright and I wouldn't have entered it otherwise.

Any idea when the week two bracket is gonna be up?
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

Post by Shaba117 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Alright, first off, congrats to Playzooki, Adam, and Charles&#33;

Yeah, the armor bonus thing-doesn't affect any of my bots, so I'm not touching that subject-that's up to BEES to deal with that issue.

Concerning my H/W match: <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> Eventually the hazards take their toll on Death Metal and put it down for the count.
Hellhound wins by KO in 1:58[/quote]

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> The Robot Bastards Arena features: Edit
-Killsaws: 7 damage

-Pulverizers in each corner: 7 damage

-Arena Drums in each corner: 7 damage[/quote]

Death Metal has 7 armor and HH sure didn't cause enough damage with 1 weapon point (and internal damage isn't an issue with DM, either). How would DM get K.O.'d?