Bot-O-Rama 2016 - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:03 am

Hey guys, I thought I might try my hand at writing for an ARC tournament, so I thought I'd throw an idea out there for review by other members. I'll wait for feedback and another writer or two before opening signups. Ideally I'd like to squeeze it in before Hammerfall 2, though.

Here's my first draft of the tournament info and ruleset. Please let me know if there are any problems you'd like to correct. Ideally, I'd like to have 2-4 riders including me, so each writer does 3-6 results per week.

Bot-O-Rama 2016

Finally, an ARC Tournament for the sub-light classes! All the fun of big bots, but without the expense, back injuries trying to lift your robot off a dolly, or original tournament names!

Arena: The arena will be a 24ft by 24ft square, with a flat steel floor, and has an 8ft high ceiling. No active hazards are present. However, two "dead zones" exist on either side of the arena at 90 degrees from the starting squares: these are 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and separated from the main arena by a 2 foot high gate (these double as the arena doors when a match is not in progress). Some robots may also become stranded on the arena kickplates.

ENTRANTS AND FORMAT:

First of all, the general RP rules, e.g. don't counter other peoples' strategy, don't start drama, don't post novels in the RP section, apply.

Each participant will enter a robot in each of three weight classes: Hobbyweights (12 lb), Featherweights (30 lb), and Sportsman (30 lb). The first two are normal combat classes, but Sportsman robots have a couple additional rules (see below).

RPs will be due Saturdays (NOT Sundays) at 11:59:59 PM PST. Results and fight cards will be posted by 11:59:59 AM on Mondays, but if possible will be posted Sunday evenings.

A total of sixteen participants will be allowed. First-come first-serve, with "come" meaning actually entering three robots AFTER registration is opened, not just saying "I'd like to enter." Writers can enter, but are forbidden from writing their own matches, and ideally should avoid writing matches where they will face the winner in the next round if they win their match.

The tournament will consist of two phases. First will be a Divisions Phase during which the robots in each class will be randomly assigned to groups of four, and each group will function as Round Robin. After three rounds, the top two robots from each group will be assigned to a single-elimination playoffs phase with a third-place tiebreaker. The 1st-place and second-place finishers from each group will always be placed on opposite sides of the bracket, so two robots from the same group will not fight each other again until the final round.

The twelve robots eliminated in the group stage and first playoff round in each class will also be randomly assigned to one of two six-robot rumbles. For each class, one rumble will occur during the second playoff round and one will occur during the final round.

Most likely each round of the Groups phase will be split over two weeks. However, I'll try to change the group order around to avoid people having weeks when they don't have any fights.

Here's what the tournament will look like:

Week 1-6: Groups (4 matches per class, 12 total)
Week 7: Playoffs 1 (4 matches per class, 12 total)
Week 8: Playoffs 2 (2 matches per class plus one rumble, 9 total)
Week 9: Finals (1 Grand Final, one Third-Place Playoff, and one rumble per class, 9 total).

RULES:

Rules are based off of this ruleset, with the following addenda:

6Ac: The attacking power of a "smart thwack" robot will be determined by its weapon score, and its translational speed will be determined by its speed score.

6Ia: Two weapons powered by the same motor on the same axle will only have no stat reduction if the weapons are rigidly coupled, i.e. they rotate in the same speed and direction. Weapons spinning in opposite directions will have their stats reduced as if they were on different axles. Also, any flywheel-powered weapon where the flywheel can be used to strike an opponent (e.g. Warrior Clan) will be treated as two weapons powered by the same actuator. This does NOT apply to weapons where they flywheel cannot strike an opponent (e.g. Magneato).

6B: "Spinners" are restricted to weapons which use the kinetic energy of a spinning mass to deal impact damage. Rotary cutting weapons are covered in section 6G.

6Cb: The maximum height a vertical spinner can throw an opponent is equal to half the weapon power in feet. Vertical spinners do not deal additional impact damage when the opposing robot lands. Robots which are part of a multibot may be thrown higher at the writer's discretion.

6E: A crusher that exceeds the armor of the area it is piercing by 3 or more has the potential to embed the claw in the opponent and subsequently lift it off the ground a la razer. When doing this, it acts as a lifter with a power of 1.

6G: Cutting weapons, including saws, drills, and chainsaws, are governed by the following rules:
i: a single-degree of freedom "arm" holding a cutting weapon only requires 1 weapon power to function.
ii: cutting weapons do NOT receive any weapon armor bonus regardless of their power. high-hardness sawblades are fragile: treat with with care.
iii: damage is dealt according to the following rules:
Flat Surface Damage -

0 - No damage:

The saw or drill skitters over the armor or is stopped by it.

1 - Minor Damage:

The saw or drill scrapes over the armor and stops without penetrating fully. No chance of a knockout.

2 - Average Damage:

The saw or drill creates a small hole or shallow cut after extended contact with the same spot.

3 - Significant Damage:

A significant cut is formed. Wheels may have their treads shredded or ripped off, compromising their function, and exposed belts or chains may be severed.

4 - Major Damage:

Deep cuts are formed, with repeated attacks compromising the integrity of armor and allowing internal components to be damaged.

5+ - Catastrophic Damage:

Every attack threatens a knockout due to internal damage. Armor will be severely cut, and structural members may be cut through.

Finally, robots in the Sportsman class are restricted by additional rules:

7A: All entrants must have an active weapon. Thwackbots and melties don't count.

7B: The power of spinners is limited to 5. This applies to any flywheel-powered weapon where the flywheel can be used to attack an opponent, but does NOT apply to rotary cutting weapons e.g. saws.

7C: Any device capable of removing an opponent's wheels from the arena floor must be integral to an active weapon. In other words, a wedge-shaped robot where the wedge is a lifter is okay, as is a dustpan on a sawbot which has the purpose of holding the victim in place while the saw causes damage. On the other hand, you can't have a back wedge which has the sole function of pushing an opponent around.

MATCH JUDGING CRITERIA:
All matches will be judged on a 15-point scale, with 5 points each for damage, aggression, and strategy.
Damage and aggression will be scored as detailed in section 15.2 of the Robogames Combat Ruleset. However, note that damage scores will be a slightly different:

A 3-2 score will be awarded when both robots have suffered nearly the same level of damage but one is slightly more damaged than the other, with the judges deciding which robot has sustained slightly more damage.

A 4-1 score will be awarded when one robot suffers at least minor damage and the other suffers major or worse damage, or when one robot has suffered cosmetic damage and the other has suffered at least significant damage.

A 5-0 score when one robot suffers nothing more than trivial damage, and the other is at least significantly damaged, or when one robot has suffered major or massive damage and the other is no more than cosmetically damaged.
Last edited by Hooray For Lexan on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:02 am

Looks like you've put some serious thought into this. I like the idea of a sportsman class and would love to enter.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:10 am

Now I gotta think of some weird shit to enter in the sportsman class... it's the only way to do it :P
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:20 am

I like this! Sportsman will be fun to design for.
poopity scoop

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:33 am

By the way, Sportsman is a real-world weight class, most common at Motorama, which this event is <del>loosely based on</del> a total ripoff of.

However, I changed the rules a bit: IRL Sportsman bots are basically banned from having actual wedges apart from small forks. But this basically restricts flippers to an Inertia-Labs-Style "Spatula" design or a 4-bar design, and makes building an effective crusher extremely difficult. Personally, I think this defeats the class's purpose of encouraging creative weapons that wouldn't hold up to spinners: you end up with a little more diversity of weapon types, but those weapons end up restricted to fairly similar form factors. OTOH, because the arena OOTA zones are fairly small and have high walls, the class hopefully won't end up dominated by flippers like UK heavyweights.

British-Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:23 am

Well now, I reckon I can have a good go at this :). I'll certainly enter this tournament

Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Post by Noisy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 am

Definitely going to enter this. Already got an idea for Sportsman class.

britespark

Post by britespark » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:29 am

Sounds interesting... I'll give it a go.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:42 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Dec 29 2015, 01:03 AM</dd></dl><div>
[/quote]that is one awesome houserobot

I'm in

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:28 am

I've always been interested in the idea of sub-Lightweight classes on ARC. So you know what, I think I'll give this a go.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

NFX

Post by NFX » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 am

This looks like it could be pretty fun. =) I might give this a shot.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Sounds very interesting.

patrickrowberry

Post by patrickrowberry » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:01 pm

keeps a eye on it

Hiicantpk

Post by Hiicantpk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:58 am

Hmm. I need some practice designing bots for the lighter weight classes, lets see what I can whip up.
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:01 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Dec 29 2015, 01:03 AM</dd></dl><div>6Ac: The attacking power of a "smart thwack" robot will be determined by its weapon score, and its translational speed will be determined by its speed score.

[/quote]I see a problem with this in a single highly unlikely situation. I made a blade runner clone that is capable of driving normally and smart thwacking (a la Herr Gepounden). this rule would significantly lessen its ability to perform.

now granted, I could always avoid that sort of situation by not entering that sort of robot (and I'm not planning to), just wanted to point out that it could potentially be an issue
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122