FRR: Backlash - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

British-Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

The other line ups I'm seeing are already frightening, I best come up with some solid designs. It's nice to have a really good challenge.

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Post by Mystic2000 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 pm

team posted

Hiicantpk

Post by Hiicantpk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 am

Guts out, Slider Break in.

Guts was pretty boring anyways
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57

DrummerBrian95

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Made another lineup change. Locust is out, methed up Veto is now in.
Last edited by DrummerBrian95 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Excellent.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

DrummerBrian95

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 pm

You're welcome.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Posted pics of Dat Dog 2 and Landkreuzer P1000 on my signups finally.

Pretty happy with the results...lets see what happens.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:33 am

Hey there, attackfrog! Good to see you signing up for Backlash! :)

You have some nice bots. Of what flaws or interesting bits I see, I'll comment on the most obvious things right now.

Pelican... the flipper is very very thin. Coupled with the wheels right at the back and I imagine it would be very easily for fellow robots to dodge the front entirely.

Royale... you won't need a weapon point for a srimech, provided it's only used for self-righting... but how far back does the srimech go? How much force is behind it?

Undertow II... the back end seems quite big, does it have enough power to throw itself back over if flipped?

D'Artagnan... is the front shock absorber hinged? It doesn't look like it would be that useful for wedging. Also I'm not sure but the absorber might cover more than 33% of the available surface area on the robot, so that piece of armour may not be able to get an armour bonus.

That's all I have to say for now, but they're all really good renders. Any other thoughts, guys?

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:53 am

defintely decent designs overall, I'd agree that the LW is far too long, and will be dodge-able in the front. You should be able to make Undertow's flipper longer and wider without any issue (making it take up more of the chassis), which would make self-righting easier. and you might want to make your SHW's front hinged, and plow-ier.

Glad to see even more new people. it's nice to not be as much of a rookie as some of the other guys :P
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 am

How many rookies do we have now... 4? 5?! :suicide:

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:43 am

KodeBreaker:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Hey there, HotDealsInTexas, good to see you&#33; Thanks for signing up to FRR: Backlash, always glad to have new(ish) people. :cool:

I was kind of hoping to see Aphelion again since it was actually one of my favourite bots, but it's cool, your newer bots seem pretty interesting as well. ;) [/quote]

Hey there&#33; Didn't see this thread when I entered...

Glad you like Aphelion&#33; It will probably be back for Hammerfall 2 with a little more armor, but an arena with no OOTAs is a bad fit for a high-powered flipper.

The_Angry_Goat:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I am a big fan of Danger Noodle's name. it is now one of my favorites simply because of that.

Generally solidly built machines you have there, should be fun to face&#33;[/quote]

Glad you like it. Unfortunately, Danger Noodle is probably the weakest bot in my lineup given the other entries in the bracket, since the SHW class has a bunch of horizontal spinners and heavily-armored bricks.

British-Robotics:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Nice to see another newcomer enter the ARC group, and good looking robots too, the SHW reminds me too much on Barberous[/quote]

Yep, the concept is basically: "Hey, Barber-ous is a pretty cool design, wouldn't it be awesome if somebody made a robot like that which actually worked?" Danger Noodle is actually pretty much an upscale of an IRL design of a similar robot that I'll hopefully actually build when I have money and my own shop.

NFX:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Welcome to the boards, HDIT. =) I'm liking the look of your team so far, hopefully you stick around. [/quote]

Thanks. I probably won't post that often until Backlash starts (it sounds like signups will close right around when my semester ends anyway), but I'll be around. It seems like the time commitment isn't too bad, so I might also sign up to write results for Hammerfall 2 (something tells me a lot of writers will be needed, especially if there are multiple weight classes), and whatever events happen here after Backlash ends.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Nov 13 2015, 04:43 AM</dd></dl><div>
Glad you like it. Unfortunately, Danger Noodle is probably the weakest bot in my lineup given the other entries in the bracket, since the SHW class has a bunch of horizontal spinners and heavily-armored bricks.

[/quote]Dont forget the hammers&#33; :P
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys&#33; I'll definitely be making some adjustments. I should post a picture of the back of Royale, I guess, to give a better idea of how it's hinged. I think it should work, though. Increasing Undertow II's flipper size definitely makes sense, as does making D'Artagnan's plow thing hinged and a bit smaller. And I guess I'll just squish Pelican a bit.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:16 pm

unrelated to all that, I like the idea of in-line wheels on Undertow. it's something I've used in besiege, and I'm interested to see how it works in a semi-real life environment
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:49 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Nov 13 2015, 01:15 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Nov 13 2015, 04:43 AM</dd></dl><div>

[/quote]Dont forget the hammers&#33; :P[/quote]I ain't afraid of no hammers&#33;