Robot Bastards - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 am

rofl...

3-1, nice. Poor Luna though, she's becoming a chump :(
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:31 am

2-0 thus far, but I'm waiting on the most difficult match I had for the week. Apparently O'Malley and Mr Not Very Nice imploded the LW universe. :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Post by NFX » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 am

1-2 again. Pretty pleased with how Barrier held up against Luna, Viluy was just lol. I did think Scarab's tracks would nerf its turning, but blah. Maybe No Exit is going to turn into another one of those robots of mine that looks great but ultimately is terrible :v:

Also, GF93, I can understand the point of view of the writers when they said the forks were a poor move compared to the scoop. Granted, Watcher is far from the best designed robot in the tournament, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's ineffective, or incapable of winning matches. I remember when Braveheart fought Hammer & Nails in Ruination 1, I might have had a chance at winning, but my strategy wasn't particularly good, and it ended up going the other way. Same story when it fought Green Hornet in the playoffs during whichever tournament it was. Sometimes your strategy doesn't work, and you can either complain about it and keep telling yourself everyone else is wrong, or you can take the result on board and follow Monty Python's lingerie shop/bank robber, adeptly played by John Cleese - adopt, adapt and improve.

There might be robots that aren't paragons of refinement and efficiency, but the simple fact is this: They can still work if you let them.
Last edited by NFX on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

That moment when you realize Nick could have replaced everyone except Barrier with Scatterbrain and been just as well off. :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Post by NFX » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Oct 29 2014, 08:55 AM</dd></dl><div>That moment when you realize Nick could have replaced everyone except Barrier with Scatterbrain and been just as well off. :v:[/quote]Don't be daft, Scatterbrain isn't a flipper :v:
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 29 2014, 08:53 AM</dd></dl><div>Maybe No Exit is going to turn into another one of those robots of mine that looks great but ultimately is terrible :v:[/quote]That was a tough one and I don't think the result really reflects how much I like both designs.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 am

[Just answering the questions about the Scoop, don't eat me this time, mods.]

To elaborate, I would've used the Armoured Scoop, but the reason I didn't was due to how apparently, someone said some time ago that it wouldn't be able to lift up due to those sticking-out corners on it. I wasn't sure if it still applied, and to be honest from an actual design standpoint Watcher would be useless anyway, I decided to stick with what I had, so that I could still lift him up to control and potentially KO him by stacking him on the wall. I had wanted to have an Armoured Scoop that could lift and still maintain the degree of protection, but I guess in this case, it was one or the other.

The other reason was due to how the Skirts would have and should have deflected him up and prevented the impacts, particularly since he had no wedge resistance whatsoever. Plus, no proper blades or hammers or anything, not counting those tiny spikes on the back at least. It doesn't matter how fast you spin, you're not going to do any real damage just by hitting a slope with a plain 6-armoured chassis.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Playzooki</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>i cant believe he thinks FLIP THIS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; is better than the watcher. :v: [/quote]
And yes Zooks, I do stand by that statement- with regards to Flip This, even if it was a flop, it was worth a laugh at least. But with regards to the Watcher, I still stand by thinking it's the worst SHW in this competition. In all honesty, if you asked the Chuckle Brothers to build a robot, even their attempts would still probably be better.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Post by GF93 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 am

UPDATE: On the plus side though, Waterloo and Marauder taking some wins along the way was nice to see. I mean, at least it's not completely negative.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Post by GF93 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Anyway, let's see who we have this week.

LW- Mr Not Very Nice. Alright, a Vengeance battle is always welcome to see&#33; Mr Bean's other thwacker doesn't seem to have any of the Meltybrain gizmos the other one had, so considering what I learned from last time, I think I'll know what to do to get my revenge.

MW- Toothache. This is the other fight I'm quite interested in winning, this week. I've never actually beaten Lian in the MW Division, so hopefully this one could be my chance to change that a bit. Your MW win streak is coming to an end, son. :v:

HW- Tellu. I'd Tellu about the magic, it'll free your soul, but it's like trying to tell a stranger about Rock N' Roll. Quite a nice-looking Axe/Lifter design this one, and it's got Kody driving it as well no less, so it'll probably be quite tough. Not as tough as my Armour of course, but close.

SHW- Jack Frost. And another one that spins, whoop-de-doo. At least with what's gone on recently, that'll be a bit of a wake-up call for me to use my last attachment. I've beaten him previously with LI, so let's see if I can do it again.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:40 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Oct 29 2014, 10:34 AM</dd></dl><div>[Just answering the questions about the Scoop, don't eat me this time, mods.]

To elaborate, I would've used the Armoured Scoop, but the reason I didn't was due to how apparently, someone said some time ago that it wouldn't be able to lift up due to those sticking-out corners on it. I wasn't sure if it still applied, and to be honest from an actual design standpoint Watcher would be useless anyway, I decided to stick with what I had, so that I could still lift him up to control and potentially KO him by stacking him on the wall. I had wanted to have an Armoured Scoop that could lift and still maintain the degree of protection, but I guess in this case, it was one or the other.

The other reason was due to how the Skirts would have and should have deflected him up and prevented the impacts, particularly since he had no wedge resistance whatsoever. Plus, no proper blades or hammers or anything, not counting those tiny spikes on the back at least. It doesn't matter how fast you spin, you're not going to do any real damage just by hitting a slope with a plain 6-armoured chassis.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Playzooki</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>i cant believe he thinks FLIP THIS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; is better than the watcher. :v: [/quote]
And yes Zooks, I do stand by that statement- with regards to Flip This, even if it was a flop, it was worth a laugh at least. But with regards to the Watcher, I still stand by thinking it's the worst SHW in this competition. In all honesty, if you asked the Chuckle Brothers to build a robot, even their attempts would still probably be better.[/quote]IMO lifting The Watcher is not as important as defending yourself from damage.

I think you're exaggerating when you call the spikes on The Watcher tiny... they go the entire height of the robot and are fairly thick. They aren't something that you can ignore. I do think that they aren't optimal - but they can DEFINITELY cause damage.

The wedges did deflect him, temporarily. But, like I said, your back wedge is not flush with your side wedges. There are openings that allow The Watcher to hit and cause corner damage.

Also it technically does matter how fast you spin... the force can still do damage even if it's grazing something at a suboptimal angle.

Lastly, The Watcher is not worse than Flip This. And please shut the fuck up with the unnecessary arrogance and trashing of other people's designs. You can call something bad without being an asshole.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 pm

since when was i mr bean :v:

i also have 1 year of real life robot combat experience thats gotta mean shit, rite??????

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:49 pm

You are Mr Bean&#33;

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:58 am

At least it's good to know GF's beef is not with Playzooki... I mean Mr Bean... specifically.

GF93

Post by GF93 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 am

Alright. I've thought about everything that's happened, and whilst I'm not happy with the decision itself, it was wrong of me to make such a big deal of it- especially with regards to continuing to fight people even after I'd effectively pissed off the entire forum. It was wrong of me, and I'd like to apologise to everyone for what I've said and done.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:02 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Oct 30 2014, 08:32 AM</dd></dl><div>Alright. I've thought about everything that's happened, and whilst I'm not happy with the decision itself, it was wrong of me to make such a big deal of it- especially with regards to continuing to fight people even after I'd effectively pissed off the entire forum. It was wrong of me, and I'd like to apologise to everyone for what I've said and done.[/quote]Look, it's not wrong to make a big deal of a decision if you aren't happy with it. I don't mind too much when someone asks me what the fuck I was thinking when I wrote a result. I'm more than happy to tell them that I am not insane, and that I thought of this, this, and that. My problem was more the relentless arrogance towards The Watcher, which was unwarranted. Statements like:

"I spy with my little eye, something beginning with "A", ending in "ss-kicking", and gift-wrapped with pretty red ribbons on it for the Watcher."

"As for the design itself...pfffffft."

"I lost...to the Watcher. I lost...to the Watcher of all robots. The loss to Something Vibrant was understandable and I have no problems with that, but I literally cannot understand how I, let alone ANYONE, could lose to what is without a doubt, the worst-designed SHW here. We all know that it's an absolute joke of a machine that shouldn't work by ANY logic whatsoever"

"And yes Zooks, I do stand by that statement- with regards to Flip This, even if it was a flop, it was worth a laugh at least. But with regards to the Watcher, I still stand by thinking it's the worst SHW in this competition. In all honesty, if you asked the Chuckle Brothers to build a robot, even their attempts would still probably be better."

Are all way over the top.