The new CFL Rules & Regulations

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 02:37 PM</dd></dl><div>Id say 15 has a very small chance of breaking, and 20 is self destruct tiem.[/quote]Yeah that sounds about right. 19 was the absolute limit for having 'reasonable' stats under the 28 point system, and even then you'd be running around with like 1 armor and 3 speed and 2 traction. 15-16 is where you have a slim chance and it increases exponentially from there.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:21 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:03 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 02:37 PM</dd></dl><div>Id say 15 has a very small chance of breaking, and 20 is self destruct tiem.[/quote]Yeah that sounds about right. 19 was the absolute limit for having 'reasonable' stats under the 28 point system, and even then you'd be running around with like 1 armor and 3 speed and 2 traction. 15-16 is where you have a slim chance and it increases exponentially from there.[/quote]yeah 19 is ridiculous. like it'd have to be something like this:
speed:3
Traction:2
Weapon:19
armor:3
Torque:1

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:36 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:21 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:03 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 02:37 PM</dd></dl><div>Id say 15 has a very small chance of breaking, and 20 is self destruct tiem.[/quote]Yeah that sounds about right. 19 was the absolute limit for having 'reasonable' stats under the 28 point system, and even then you'd be running around with like 1 armor and 3 speed and 2 traction. 15-16 is where you have a slim chance and it increases exponentially from there.[/quote]yeah 19 is ridiculous. like it'd have to be something like this:
Torque:1[/quote]with 1 torque it would barely be able to move under it's own power. like we're saying, it's ridiculous.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:04 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:36 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:21 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 03:03 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Dec 13 2013, 02:37 PM</dd></dl><div>Id say 15 has a very small chance of breaking, and 20 is self destruct tiem.[/quote]Yeah that sounds about right. 19 was the absolute limit for having 'reasonable' stats under the 28 point system, and even then you'd be running around with like 1 armor and 3 speed and 2 traction. 15-16 is where you have a slim chance and it increases exponentially from there.[/quote]yeah 19 is ridiculous. like it'd have to be something like this:
Torque:1[/quote]with 1 torque it would barely be able to move under it's own power. like we're saying, it's ridiculous. [/quote]uhhhh... most spinners use 1 torque. but yeah.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Well I was just reiterating Spatula's opinion, but 15-16 I can agree on.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 pm

i think its worth watching though, because were not sure what stats are gonna look like for rammers because of the wedge stat boost, which will effect what the max weapon power would be. right now the high end hits 16, but i expect that to become more normal as the armor stat increases. ultimately i think things are moving in the right direction for non rammer / non spinner robots.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 pm

CUSTOM FANTASY LEAGUE - RULES AND REGULATIONS

Are you a fan of Battlebots? Maybe Robot Wars? Did you ever want to know what it's like? Well, here's your chance in our exclusive robot style RPGs&#33; All you need to do is follow three simple steps to join up.

1. Create your own bots in some sort of computer-aided-design (CAD) program. It can be anything from Rhinoceros3D to Google SketchUp to MSPaint. Basically, you just need a picture of what your bot looks like. If you don't know how to draw or do CAD, you can always ask someone to do it for you on the CAD Request thread in our forums.

2. Enter stats for your bots (see below for stat system).

3. Role play with your bot on a weekly basis. All this means is you have to see who your opponent is for that week, and write up a strategy against them in the Role Playing Board section of the forum. Don't worry, your role play doesn't have to be very detailed. Short and simple works, too. However, detail doesn't hurt, so if you want to really go all out in your strategy, you go for it.

SIGN-UP INFORMATION

Everyone enters 4 bots, one from each weight class (LW, MW, HW, SHW) and assigns them stats using the point system.

- The battles will take place in a Round Robin style (as opposed to the traditional tournament style) in which each bot will face every other bot once with playoffs afterward to determine the champion of each weight class.

- No double entering the competition (that means no smurf accounts or anything like that).

STAFF RULES

- The founder(s) of the tournament and the writing staff for a tournament are obligated to check ALL entries in the competition before the season begins, to avoid stat and design discrepancies mid-way through the season.

ROLE PLAY RULES

In these leagues, we have always made it a priority to focus on both aspects of robotic combat: the design and the driver. It has been said before that a good driver with a poor robot can beat a bad driver with a great robot the majority of the time and I, personally agree with that notion. This is why it is important to know the proper way to strategize and win a battle against a formidable opponent. First let
Last edited by Siphai on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Changes in bold. I did also do a little rewrite to the RP rules because the wording on them was pretty bad. I tried to make certain things more specific and defined.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:01 pm

*2 thumbs up* EXCELLENT.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:34 pm

It's funny how I'm never around when these changes come up. :P
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:34 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Dec 18 2013, 07:34 PM</dd></dl><div>It's funny how I'm never around when these changes come up. :P[/quote]Hey if you have any suggestions (other than the wedge stat lol) yeah throw em down. This is the thread for reading the new ruleset and balancing it any if anyone has any suggestions then go in and add em. Like I did for Kody's original set.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 am

Cool, but you need to put something in about translational thwacks.

NFX

Post by NFX » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:26 am

Weapon stat is the translational speed across the arena floor, I think. Same as ever.

Also, if I wanted to use a purely translational thwack, i.e. Scatterbrain, would I be able to get away with claiming that the entire robot is a weapon, and therefore the entire robot gets a +2 Armour Bonus? :D
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:26 am

good call. i'll throw in the thing about speed being weapon power and weapon power being the speed in which they move across the arena.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Dec 19 2013, 02:34 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Dec 18 2013, 07:34 PM</dd></dl><div>It's funny how I'm never around when these changes come up. :P[/quote]Hey if you have any suggestions (other than the wedge stat lol) yeah throw em down. This is the thread for reading the new ruleset and balancing it any if anyone has any suggestions then go in and add em. Like I did for Kody's original set. [/quote]Well perhaps more just observations really. Take them for what you will.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>A general rule of thumb is that a robot requires a weapon stat that is higher than the armor stat of the robot it is trying to damage. Otherwise, no damage will be done.[/quote]I'm thinking this is (at least in some small way) in response to bots like Striker who were able to very gradually cause some (mostly superficial) damage.

I stand by my viewpoint that I'm not really on board with just having higher armor stat than the weapon power giving you complete immunity. It's very likely that this would completely obsolete weapons like Speed Hammers (and treads too lol) since they typically have lower end weapon power. Granted those weapon were never really intended to be high damage dealers but in ARC at least they are basically built on the foundation of causing some superficial damage over the duration of the fight. With this new rule phrasing they'll have difficulty doing even that much even to Spinners. So now a bot using those kind of weapons is basically throwing away points for nothing.

As far as the weapon damage scale goes, if we were still under the previous rule set I would actually agree with it pretty closely. However I think we will now be seeing rammers having slightly higher armor than before and weapon power slightly decreasing (in general, of course there will always be outliers). Before I think the 3-4 range would have been the minimum we would have seen (with 1-2 being fairly rare) and the higher ranges being reasonably common. Now however, I think that the 3-4 range will be much more common and the higher ranges will be given over to mostly spinner on spinner (or other major active weapon fights). The "low chance of KO" is wearisomely vague. A 12 powered spinner would have a low chance of KOing an 8 armored bot? The absolute best you could say is that it would be at the very outside of a "medium chance", not even there but just outside that window... yikes&#33; In such a case the spinner would have to almost completely dominate the fight to have any prayer of that KO.

As a fun note I think this almost completely destroys the chance for a lot of hammer bots to KO pretty much any dedicated rammer.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>a
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.