A Unique Idea Concerning Wedge Stats

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
What does a circular wedge count as? [/quote]
Junk
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 09:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
a cone

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:58 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
Junk [/quote]
Jinx III would like to disagree... mofo :P
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:58 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
Junk [/quote]
Jinx III would like to disagree... mofo :P [/quote]
So let her. Babaganoush is my counter-argument. :v:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:59 PM</dd></dl><div> So let her. Babaganoush is my counter-argument. :v: [/quote]
who cares about baba :v:

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 03:58 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
Junk [/quote]
Bowler Hats with axes&#33; :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 10:14 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 03:58 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 04:52 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Jul 18 2013&#44; 06:58 PM</dd></dl><div> My other idea is that if a bot has multiple wedges, then much like the active weapon rule, the wedge stat is divided by the amount of wedges it has (This could include skirts) So a bot with two wedges (Seeming as every bot these days has 2 wedges or more) with an 8 wedge stat will have it divided between the two. [/quote]
Junk [/quote]
Bowler Hats with axes&#33; :v: [/quote]

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 pm

I spent a lot of time thinking about this. I think a very logical and simple nerf to
the wedge stat would be to make it that it cannot exceed your traction stat.

This accounts for the fact that your wheels have to be able to push that wedge
around while it's scraping the floor, and if they don't have as much traction as the
wedge does, then they'll just spin in place.

(That's assuming you want to keep the stat).

Though I'm also up for ditching the wedge stat.

Wedges that scrape the floor beat wedges that don't.
Forks beat wedges.
Active weapons that press the floor beat everything.

No stat is needed to convey that.

And the same could be said for traction. The more tire surface you have touching
the floor, the more traction you have. Adding a stat to that just removes all the
strategy that comes from maneuvering that the shape of the robot allows for.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I spent a lot of time thinking about this. I think a very logical and simple nerf to the wedge stat would be to make it that it cannot exceed your traction stat.[/quote]
This isn't too bad actually, and seems pretty logical.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Though I'm also up for ditching the wedge stat.

Wedges that scrape the floor beat wedges that don't.
Forks beat wedges.
Active weapons that press the floor beat everything.

No stat is needed to convey that.[/quote]
So what happens when two floor scraping wedges battle? Or two floor pressing active weapons? Is a flipper arm a floor pressing active weapon?

I know what you're driving at, but this is much like the system we had in place before the wedge stat.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>And the same could be said for traction. The more tire surface you have touching the floor, the more traction you have. Adding a stat to that just removes all the strategy that comes from maneuvering that the shape of the robot allows for.[/quote]
I'm not really too fond of this. This is practically archaic CFRC-era logic. "lol I have 18 wheels so I have leet-uber control and your two wheeled bot is practically on ice skates".

I get it, you don't like traction and think the world would be a better place if we just said my bot is X fast because of the way it's designed, my weapon is Y powerful because of the way it's designed, and my armor is Z tough because of the way it's designed.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am

Remember, we don't want to go overboard with realism here. This is supposed to be a robot combat fanfic community for people who range from knowing everything about bots, to people who don't know anything about technical aspects of bots, but want to participate anyway. We have to cater to even the most entry-level people, so we can't make it too complicated. We also can't overfavour people who pretty much know everything about bots. Everyone should be given a decent chance. Except arrogant arses (you know who you are, if you're even reading this). :P

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 19 2013&#44; 01:13 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>And the same could be said for traction. The more tire surface you have touching the floor, the more traction you have. Adding a stat to that just removes all the strategy that comes from maneuvering that the shape of the robot allows for.[/quote]
I'm not really too fond of this. This is practically archaic CFRC-era logic. "lol I have 18 wheels so I have leet-uber control and your two wheeled bot is practically on ice skates".
[/quote]
I actually ACTUALLY rather like Nick's suggestion regarding traction. Right now people can go "geez I know I only have 2 flimsy wheels and he is driven by 8 tracks the size of Uranus, but my traction stat will mean I can push him all over the shop&#33;"

Your example Josh makes it seem like like Nick's suggestion will always mean "the more wheels the merrier", and that everyone will enter 100WD bots, which would indeed be a poor idea.

To make Nick's idea work, we have to factor in that a machine with 18 wheels will turn like shit, whereas a 2WD machine will corner flawlessly. That way, "traction", while not a proper stat anymore, will become something people will have to actively consider when designing their robot.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Jul 19 2013&#44; 12:41 PM</dd></dl><div> To make Nick's idea work, we have to factor in that a machine with 18 wheels will turn like shit, whereas a 2WD machine will corner flawlessly. That way, "traction", while not a proper stat anymore, will become something people will have to actively consider when designing their robot. [/quote]
But hasn't it always been this way?

The more wheels you have, the more control you have but the harder it is to turn. There's pros and cons to both.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:51 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 19 2013&#44; 05:42 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Jul 19 2013&#44; 12:41 PM</dd></dl><div> To make Nick's idea work, we have to factor in that a machine with 18 wheels will turn like shit, whereas a 2WD machine will corner flawlessly. That way, "traction", while not a proper stat anymore, will become something people will have to actively consider when designing their robot. [/quote]
But hasn't it always been this way?

The more wheels you have, the more control you have but the harder it is to turn. There's pros and cons to both. [/quote]
Well, yes, I think it has always been that way and should stay that way, which is why I dont share Josh's issues.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

Yeah, but Traction was also designed to do away with the "10 Speed with 2 Torque" nonsense that you used to see and was considered perfectly acceptible. The number of wheels factor was practicaly meaningless because they were so much faster than most of the spinners to the point they could literally run circles around them, plus most rammers were Two or Four wheeled anyway so the control gap wasn't really that big.

Traction was, at least in part, a balancing stat for Speed. I mean by all means go ahead and give yourself 10 Speed now (and some people even do), but unless you're willing to invest a comperable number of points into Traction, you'd have to live with a lot more control issues. Gone would be being able to say "well I have like double his speed so I can avoid his weapon/wedge/whatever easily".

Handing it over exclusively to wheels is really not a good idea. With all the ways people draw robots, there's no real standard for judging wheels. You don't want things to be "Well you didn't draw your wheels X size so you're screwed".

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Remember, we don't want to go overboard with realism here. This is supposed to be a robot combat fanfic community for people who range from knowing everything about bots, to people who don't know anything about technical aspects of bots, but want to participate anyway. We have to cater to even the most entry-level people, so we can't make it too complicated. We also can't overfavour people who pretty much know everything about bots. Everyone should be given a decent chance. Except arrogant arses (you know who you are, if you're even reading this). :P[/quote]
I find the tendency to drift away from realism very un-fun actually. In fact, the less real it becomes the less fun it becomes. That's the tradeoff you have to consider.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>So what happens when two floor scraping wedges battle?