FRR: No Mercy - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am

All right, this was a good week! Got the wins I hoped I would- beat Kody twice, took down the reigning champion, and was able to get a KO for War Bastard as well.

Getting completely thrashed in the SHW match was not so good, but I guess you win some and lose some.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 16 2014, 10:20 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Uhh, idk where that's coming from. I'm not accusing you of fixing the playoffs? I'm just saying don't use Heph vs. T Rex as a comparable match[/quote]
You also brought up the whole FRR Dead Zone business. You also said "It doesn't matter what I did". Well I've got some bad news for you, it DOES matter what you did. If there was malicious intent involved (not saying that is the case, just for the sake of argument) then I absolutely feel no guilt about letting Kody redo his RP for that week because that's a well established dick move to try and bait an easy win.
[/quote]

Ahaha are you fucking kidding me? Yes, I left FRR5, for like 8 weeks straight, forfeiting every match for 8 weeks, JUST so I could get an easy win off of Kody in week 9. That gets me a net positive of -7 wins&#33; Truly one of my shining moments.

It's not an 'established dick move'. An established dick move is actually saying that you're leaving and THEN actually COMING BACK and RPing&#33; Dan did that in Armageddon or whatever tournament that was, and his opponents were rightfully allowed to edit their RPs because of his announcement. Otherwise, everyone that hasn't announced anything is fair game. If rob came today and RP'd, no one should be allowed to edit their RPs. It's their own fault. You run that risk when you look at an auto FF team.

Whether or not Dylan allowed people to edit RPs, or my reasons for leaving, or whatever doesn't actually matter. Those are just excuses. The in this scenario the rules are very clear. Editing your RP is illegal.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Now on Skype you called it the worst result you've ever seen. Well I think I can reconstruct my thought process mostly. Going by the RP's Heph was taking damage in a landslide, no brainer. But since your RP was so bare of anything else besides "hit him with my weapon" and you take his charging plan into account, Wrex in turn dominates Aggression. At this point Strategy becomes a very annoying category. At the surface you both succeed brilliantly at your tactics, but since you declined to attempt anything else that might help you out or really swing the fight completely in your favor, I wasn't going to blindly award you the category. At the time it basically seemed like a failure of strategy because you basically declined to do anything beyond perfunctory attacking. So if that's the worst result ever, well, at least you know where it came from.[/quote]

Now this is really a leap in logic. My strategy is to spin up and hit him. I'm a spinner. Doing damage and hitting him is good strategy points. Kody's strategy was to 'ram me'. Basically just running into my spinner. He doesn't even have the torque to push me, we'd just be stuck in the middle until he had to back away (and that's when the ram stops my spinner). Like, I can't believe I have to explain this. T Rex can't do anything to Heph. In fact, I would call him a failure of strategy because HE declined to attempt anything else that might help him out. The big factor there is that he's throwing himself into the blade, causing himself damage, which is BAD STRATEGY. That's result writing 101.

What more do you want me to put in my RPs for those fights? Especially against a robot like T Rex? Most of my RPs, (especially for spinners) even now, are just me saying how the other guy's design is bad, and how my design is better, and then a short clip of actual strategy. I mean, I don't even like putting that in there to be honest, that's something the writer should see immediately. But if you want the paragraphs of fluff, which I guess you do, I guess I'm more than happy to accommodate. My Hephaestus RP there said as much about strategy as some of my other Heph, or Snijmachine, or Windmill RPs. Except it lost because it was short.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:38 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Ahaha are you fucking kidding me? Yes, I left FRR5, for like 8 weeks straight, forfeiting every match for 8 weeks, JUST so I could get an easy win off of Kody in week 9. That gets me a net positive of -7 wins&#33; Truly one of my shining moments. [/quote]
I didn't say that WAS your endgame. All I said was at the time it was a possible thought process. Yes hindsight is 20/20, so I know now that obviously wasn't the case at all.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It's not an 'established dick move'. An established dick move is actually saying that you're leaving and THEN actually COMING BACK and RPing&#33; Dan did that in Armageddon or whatever tournament that was, and his opponents were rightfully allowed to edit their RPs because of his announcement. Otherwise, everyone that hasn't announced anything is fair game. If rob came today and RP'd, no one should be allowed to edit their RPs. It's their own fault. You run that risk when you look at an auto FF team. [/quote]
I've established on few different occasions that I should probably be the last person sympathetic to someone throwing away their RP on an expected FF win only to have it come back to bite them. But I am a very sympathetic person. I care more about a fair/fun competition than "lol sucks to be you cause da rulez says so". As I said I pretty much went ahead with it because it wasn't going to effect anything. It was a nothing match so there was literally no harm in letting it play out. If it had had playoff implications then I would have had to leave it as it was and just say "Sorry Kody, them's the breaks".

So if you still want to be all bent out of shape about a completely meaningless fight from years ago then go ahead and keep ranting because obviously nothing is going to change your mind about it anyway.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Now this is really a leap in logic. My strategy is to spin up and hit him. I'm a spinner. Doing damage and hitting him is good strategy points. Kody's strategy was to 'ram me'. Basically just running into my spinner. He doesn't even have the torque to push me, we'd just be stuck in the middle until he had to back away (and that's when the ram stops my spinner). Like, I can't believe I have to explain this. T Rex can't do anything to Heph. In fact, I would call him a failure of strategy because HE declined to attempt anything else that might help him out. The big factor there is that he's throwing himself into the blade, causing himself damage, which is BAD STRATEGY. That's result writing 101.[/quote]
Gee, it must be great to have never written a questionable/terrible result. I didn't say I still agreed with the result, and I'm not here to argue it's merits, I was just reconstructing my thought process from the time of the fight so it didn't look like I just pulled it out thin air to say "haha all over you asshole&#33;" or anything like that. >__>

Hey, remember that time I bitched you out on the main boards for the Zombie Killer vs. Night Train result or even the Revolver Ocelot vs. Long Shot playoff match (which you incidentally admitted/stated was a bullshit result)? Wait, that never actually happened? Oh yeah, that's because I contacted you directly though PM about the ZK result and I didn't really raise any kind of real stink about the Ocelot fight other than the usual disappointed post.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>What more do you want me to put in my RPs for those fights? Especially against a robot like T Rex? Most of my RPs, (especially for spinners) even now, are just me saying how the other guy's design is bad, and how my design is better, and then a short clip of actual strategy. I mean, I don't even like putting that in there to be honest, that's something the writer should see immediately. But if you want the paragraphs of fluff, which I guess you do, I guess I'm more than happy to accommodate. My Hephaestus RP there said as much about strategy as some of my other Heph, or Snijmachine, or Windmill RPs. Except it lost because it was short.[/quote]
I'm not saying it needs to be some epic RP, but just something with some actual effort or at least an RP that looked like you gave a shit and not just "Well I guess I'm required to actually put down a complete sentence or two just so I can say I technically RPed".

Also I'm fairly certain your other Heph (and other bots) RP's were a bit more intricate than "spin up and attack him", and if they really weren't, well then they probably should have lost more fights because that's just lazy RP logic and I know your capable of better than that.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Steve, your post was not in vain. It is supposed to be for fun. It just isn't much fun when you feel like you're not getting a fair shake, which is my contention with two (well, one-and-a-half) of my results this week, or just being treated as a joke when you're actually trying (which Josh has apologized for). Fwiw, I was worried I would lose to you as well. I would have been shocked if our HW bout had been a blowout either way, but it was a very close match, which win or lose, I would have called fair.

I think that's why we see so many split decisions or near split decisions, so the writers don't ever have anyone question their integrity or neutrality.

Two RPs up. Two long-winded RPs. I should be able to get my SHW up tonight, as that one should be much more straightforward. The HW one I'm saving until such time as I can see the video that my worthy adversary has recommended so I can get a better handle on how it's supposed to function.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm

basically steven is right

this is for fun

arguing isnt fun

reading arguments isnt fun.

sure, BS results may not be fun, but just take it to pm's.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

My piece is said and I'm done with it.

On another note, Lian's descriptions were very vague, and I would have asked him personally about Merry Hampton and Stabstract were he around. As it stands, I had to do some detailed guesswork in my MW and SHW RPs, which revolved around having to go into his CAD thread of all things, and get further details... which still didn't give me the full picture. I hate having to work with vague descriptions.

But I'm trying to have fun so... :v:
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Apr 16 2014, 04:04 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 16 2014, 08:57 AM</dd></dl><div>:P

I'm currently contemplating different strategies for dealing with Kody. Right now Spinach, Gamma Rays, or a Cerebral Enhance-O-Tron seem the most viable. :v: [/quote]Just make sure that you get your RP done in time if you use the third option :P[/quote]Badnik: How's it going?

Josh: Great&#33; I just remembered who my opponents are&#33;
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Okay, looking at Green War.... so its shape is that of the bottom half of a pyramid, right? So each of the four sides... those are hinged wedges, or are they flipper panels... because "two forward flipping panels at each side of the bot" sounds like it's like that bot... some "kicking mule" of sorts? It had kicker-flippers on each of its four sides that kicked outward.... so each of those trapezoid shaped wedge panels are flippers, or are they hinged wedges? If they're hinged wedges, where are the panels? Are they on the top, flat part? Did he say "each side of the bot" when he meant "either side of the green bar on top?" Trying to figure out what I'm up against here.

Badnik96
Team: Team Ignition

Post by Badnik96 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the two green panels on top are the two flippers.

Knowing Mystic and his lack of hope he probably won't RP anyway... >.>
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 pm

[4:01:06 PM] Kody Kunz: GOD DAMN IT
[4:01:18 PM] Kody Kunz: why Lian, why do you show up when I've reposted the fixtures
[4:01:30 PM] Nick Fisher: Because he is infuriating like that
[4:01:39 PM] Josh Noel: lmao
[4:01:45 PM] Kody Kunz: I'm quoting this :P

<______>

prince palatine

Post by prince palatine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Apr 17 2014, 01:24 PM</dd></dl><div>My piece is said and I'm done with it.

On another note, Lian's descriptions were very vague, and I would have asked him personally about Merry Hampton and Stabstract were he around. As it stands, I had to do some detailed guesswork in my MW and SHW RPs, which revolved around having to go into his CAD thread of all things, and get further details... which still didn't give me the full picture. I hate having to work with vague descriptions.

But I'm trying to have fun so... :v:[/quote]What seems to be the problem that you're trying to pinpoint?

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm

The main thing is that you didn't state if Merry Hampton's front plow was hinged or not, not even in the CAD thread where I had to look at the first post you put the drawing in, so I had to assume a lot of things. Also, how does Stabstract's wedge set-up work inverted? If it's flipped, the top of the plow will clearly hit the ground and suspend the wedge up.

I'm sorry but you really should have made your sign-up descriptions clearer. But you wouldn't be the first to do that.

prince palatine

Post by prince palatine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Merry's plow has always been hinged, and Stabstract's is also hinged and works inverted, but it's not as effective.

Sorry for any confusion.

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>Apr 17 2014, 01:23 PM</dd></dl><div>basically steven is right

this is for fun

arguing isnt fun

reading arguments isnt fun.

sure, BS results may not be fun, but just take it to pm's.[/quote]yeah well you're mom was fun in bed last night ooo damn get #dunked #anallyannilated son