"How Can I Improve..."

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:55 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>May 6 2014, 06:31 PM</dd></dl><div>how do i make the playoffs[/quote]Scrub all the floors in Hyrule, then we can talk about Playoffs.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

playzooki

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by playzooki » Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 am

i scrubbed them already can i be in the playoffs now?

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>May 7 2014, 02:06 AM</dd></dl><div>i scrubbed them already can i be in the playoffs now?[/quote]Sorry Zooks, but-
<iframe type='text/html' width="480" height="270" src='https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hwz7YN1AQmQ' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe>
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

playzooki

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by playzooki » Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>May 7 2014, 04:04 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>May 7 2014, 02:06 AM</dd></dl><div>i scrubbed them already can i be in the playoffs now?[/quote]Sorry Zooks, but-
<iframe type='text/html' width="480" height="270" src='https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hwz7YN1AQmQ' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe>[/quote]considering im tied first in another arc tourney... :v:

Hooray For Lexan

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:17 am

So, I'd like a quick clarification on the walker rules.

According to the wiki, a walker is:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>any robot that moves by contact with the floor other than that outlined under section A. Also, no individual component of the walking system can rotate 360 degrees around an axle. The 360 degree motion of the

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 am

Ive always taken the walker rule to mean "if it isnt a walker, dont call it that" - in other words, if youre trying to skirt the rules or build something that is technically a walker, its not a walker. If it looks like a walker and would have the limitations of a walker, it's probably a walker. I cant speak to the specifics, though :v:
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by MadBull » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 am

Texas does raise a fair point though. You want your walker to be powered by a rotational engine. That is not "cheating" by any sense of the imagination, as long as the final contact with the floor is a true walking motion. TRUE walkers in Battlebots and Robot Wars still use electric engines. The whole intention of the "no 360 degrees walking motion" was BASICALLY meant to ban shufflers, robots that basically use, well, square wheels, so that they suddenly seem to be hopping around rather than driving so that it vaguely resembles walking. THAT is cheating your way towards a walking mechanism, and THAT is what should be exempt from the mass bonus.

But yeah, with poor wording the rule has now, walkers are technically not allowed to use a normal engine, that really can't be right.

TotallyNotSatan

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Rob Collins</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013, 04:08 PM</dd></dl><div>How the hell do I make a 3D creation of my robot&#33;?[/quote]tinkercad.com is really easy to use. Drag a square, select color and size, then drag another shape.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:29 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TotallyNotSatan</dt><dd>Nov 24 2015, 12:25 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Rob Collins</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013, 04:08 PM</dd></dl><div>How the hell do I make a 3D creation of my robot&#33;?[/quote]tinkercad.com is really easy to use. Drag a square, select color and size, then drag another shape.[/quote]Rob hasn't been around the boards for a couple years, but this is still useful as general advice.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Venice Queen

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Nov 24 2015, 12:29 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TotallyNotSatan</dt><dd>Nov 24 2015, 12:25 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Rob Collins</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013, 04:08 PM</dd></dl><div>How the hell do I make a 3D creation of my robot&#33;?[/quote]tinkercad.com is really easy to use. Drag a square, select color and size, then drag another shape.[/quote]Rob hasn't been around the boards for a couple years, but this is still useful as general advice.[/quote]well, then time for me to shamelessly plug sketch-up&#33;
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Siphai

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Siphai » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Nov 24 2015, 11:35 AM</dd></dl><div>Texas does raise a fair point though. You want your walker to be powered by a rotational engine. That is not "cheating" by any sense of the imagination, as long as the final contact with the floor is a true walking motion. TRUE walkers in Battlebots and Robot Wars still use electric engines. The whole intention of the "no 360 degrees walking motion" was BASICALLY meant to ban shufflers, robots that basically use, well, square wheels, so that they suddenly seem to be hopping around rather than driving so that it vaguely resembles walking. THAT is cheating your way towards a walking mechanism, and THAT is what should be exempt from the mass bonus.

But yeah, with poor wording the rule has now, walkers are technically not allowed to use a normal engine, that really can't be right.[/quote]Yup although I dont think it'll matter anymore since the walker bonus points has kinda overstayed its welcome.

Hooray For Lexan

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 pm

So I'm thinking of changing the stats for Compound Fracture from:

Speed 7, Torque 5, Traction 4, Weapon 3, Armor 11 (+1 wedge, -2 everywhere else).

To:

Speed 7, Torque 3, Traction 5, Weapon 5, Armor 10

Am I correct that with a weapon power of 5, the lifter would have a weapon armor of 12? Also, is it better to have the high traction and lower torque than something like 4 torque, 4 traction?

Venice Queen

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:01 am

traction is, imo far more important than torque. if you have more than 2 more speed than you have traction, you begin to face issues with turning and general control (see: Brute Force in R:TC right now). which is fine if you want to be like Vladiator and are prepared to RP that way, but not necessarily as good for a brick made to control the match.

and yeah, 5 weapon would give your lifter the armor bonus
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

patrickrowberry

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by patrickrowberry » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:06 am

i have 6 loses to my name and only 1 win and i only won because the other person was dsq

how do i improve my rp skills?

MadBull

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by MadBull » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:53 am

well, there are 2 aspects to this game, the robot designs, and the RP's, do well in both, and you'll be victorious&#33;

As to how to improve your RP's, for starters, by RP'ing regularly. Practice makes perfect. You'll better learn what works and what doesn't work that way. I can't help you much with that aspect, that's entirely up to you.

Make sure you know the rules relevant to the tournament you are in, I often have them opened and easily accessible when I am RP'ing. Then, apply those rules to the battle at hand. Can you outspeed? Can you outpush? Can you damage him here? Can you damage him there? You'll find that there aspects where you are superior, and that there are aspects where your opponent is superior. In a fairly balanced system where everyone gets the same amount of stat points, there's ALWAYS something you do better than your opponent. Use that. There is also ALWAYS something your opponent does better. Look for ways to defend against that.

Errr

Yeah