"How Can I Improve..."

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Basically, I'm bringing the concept of this thread
http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/threads ... -i-improve
over here.

I've noticed that we've been getting an influx of newcomers lately. So, if you're new and want to know how stat systems, RPs, designs, pics, or whatnot else work here, or if you've had a brainfart on the tournaments or something, drop a post in this thread. We'll be happy to answer any questions and give advice. :) Well, at least I will. :P

Don't be shy now. :)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Siphai

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Siphai » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:54 pm

How do I post results by sunday

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:07 pm

One thing I would like to ask...I have a plan for a design with a Sewer Snake-esque weapon configuration, as in with the one lifter on the front and the one on top.

If they're both basically part of the same weapon, would it technically count as multiple weapons or one?
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Probably Rob

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Probably Rob » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:08 pm

How the hell do I make a 3D creation of my robot!?

NFX

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by NFX » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:18 pm

You need a 3D modelling program to do that, such as Rhinoceros or Sketchup. If you're so inclined, you could use Paint, like Josh or Dylan do, or you could even draw them on paper like Alex. =)
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm

GF93 - If they function as separate weapons, then the multiple weapon rule gets applied to them. If it's one weapon that can function differently, no points are deducted.

Rob - Well your Robot Arena 2 creations aren't really bad at all, but if you want to try your hand at 3D modeling, then like Nick said, you can use a program such as Google SketchUp. You may also try a trial version of Rhino3D (you can get around the 25-save limit by print screening pictures of your robots). Of course, Paint isn't all that bad either. Josh and Dylan get by doing that and those are some of the best CAD jobs I've seen. :)

GF93

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:33 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013&#44; 04:21 PM</dd></dl><div> GF93 - If they function as separate weapons, then the multiple weapon rule gets applied to them. If it's one weapon that can function differently, no points are deducted. [/quote]
Right. Something like this is what I have in mind-
-as shown on Luzifer, a German robot made using parts from Black Hole.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

That Kode Guy

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Here's what it boils down to, I think.

- if there's at least two major mechanisms guiding that weapon (like, two separate rams) then the multi-weapon rule applies

- if it's all comprised of a single mechanism, no deduction. Gravity and such are factored into this

GF93

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:55 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013&#44; 04:51 PM</dd></dl><div> Here's what it boils down to, I think.

- if there's at least two major mechanisms guiding that weapon (like, two separate rams) then the multi-weapon rule applies

- if it's all comprised of a single mechanism, no deduction. Gravity and such are factored into this [/quote]
OK. So from what I can see, both appear to be based on the same mechanism (Look at the Crankset on the side of the lifter), so I guess it'd count as a single weapon, right?
ICE³ ROBOTICS

NFX

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by NFX » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:55 pm

If they're connected by a cable, such as Razer's wings, then I'm pretty sure that would be alright, since there's only one mechanism. I had an idea for a clamp/lifter robot that would clamp the robot first, then when the clamp reached a certain point, the tension in the cable would raise the arm as well. I'm pretty sure this would be okay, if I can CAD it out properly.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013&#44; 05:55 PM</dd></dl><div> OK. So from what I can see, both appear to be based on the same mechanism (Look at the Crankset on the side of the lifter), so I guess it'd count as a single weapon, right? [/quote]
Yes, I'm pretty sure that counts as a single mechanism.

GF93

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:01 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013&#44; 04:56 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Jul 7 2013&#44; 05:55 PM</dd></dl><div> OK. So from what I can see, both appear to be based on the same mechanism (Look at the Crankset on the side of the lifter), so I guess it'd count as a single weapon, right? [/quote]
Yes, I'm pretty sure that counts as a single mechanism. [/quote]
Great&#33; I can utilise that as an effective design, then. I'll rustle up some drawings, upload them, and see what you think. :cool:
ICE³ ROBOTICS

BEES

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by BEES » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:23 am

how to improve?

get luckier at winning

duh :rolleyes:

That Kode Guy

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Jul 8 2013&#44; 01:23 AM</dd></dl><div> how to improve?

get luckier at winning

duh :rolleyes: [/quote]
git oot

GF93

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 am

"Anyone who wants to pretend that a rammer or flipper can do anything but hope for the best against a high-powered spinner is a fucking tool." :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS