"How Can I Improve..."

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:26 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>scorpion1m</dt><dd>Jun 23 2016, 01:14 PM</dd></dl><div>i'm working on vacuum powered robot (think a mini hover-boat with a drum)

would it be classed as a hover bot despite the fact it will be touching the floor
but will have no wheels

[/quote]yes

ok sirocco's movement was weapon/traction, which seems like a fair way to stat a gyroscopic procession bot as well
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

patrickrowberry

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by patrickrowberry » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:07 pm

how do i make my tournament better and do my rules need fixing or better explanation

and are drone/ micro bot rules fair

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:47 pm

my issues with your tournament are twofold:

1) you are an untested writer, and - if I'm being honest - your poor grammar and sentence structure in your RPs make me really doubt your ability in that area

2) there's already 5 other tournaments lined up (my short one, then R4 or CBC, then the other one, and the snake thing, and then Bot-o-Rama), so I dont see a reason to join yours - I'd be doing to much and probably get overwhelmed, which is the opposite of what I want to do on a website I participate on for fun.

your drone/microbot stuff is decent, not something I'm really interested in though (personal opinion there). it'd need to be tested for it to be figured out for sure though
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

patrickrowberry

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by patrickrowberry » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:58 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Jul 29 2016, 07:47 PM</dd></dl><div>my issues with your tournament are twofold:

1) you are an untested writer, and - if I'm being honest - your poor grammar and sentence structure in your RPs make me really doubt your ability in that area

2) there's already 5 other tournaments lined up (my short one, then R4 or CBC, then the other one, and the snake thing, and then Bot-o-Rama), so I dont see a reason to join yours - I'd be doing to much and probably get overwhelmed, which is the opposite of what I want to do on a website I participate on for fun.

your drone/microbot stuff is decent, not something I'm really interested in though (personal opinion there). it'd need to be tested for it to be figured out for sure though[/quote]if needs to i want be a writer for the tournament

and it won't happen to after cbc it should start in October ish
that the plan

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:41 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>scorpion1m</dt><dd>Jul 30 2016, 07:58 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Jul 29 2016, 07:47 PM</dd></dl><div>my issues with your tournament are twofold:

your drone/microbot stuff is decent, not something I'm really interested in though (personal opinion there). it'd need to be tested for it to be figured out for sure though[/quote]if needs to i want be a writer for the tournament

that the plan

[/quote]Okay, scorpion, I'm going to be brutally honest, and there's no insult intended, so please don't be offended.

1) Let's examine this sentence that your wrote in your reply: "if needs to i want be a writer for the tournament". You used the word 'want' instead of 'won't', which completely changes the meaning of the sentence. It seems that you do realize that spelling and grammar are simply things that you aren't good with and are willing to step aside and act as director only. This is a wise choice.

2) FRR will run until about the beginning of October and both Showbots and CBC will be starting very soon after (first the former, and then the latter), so an October start would interfere with both. It just isn't feasible.

3) Your understanding of how stats work seems to differ greatly from that of the rest of the ARC community. You continue to seriously RP with a couple of bots that everybody else considers (by their interpretation of the rules) to have virtually no control. This could prove problematic.

4) I actually like some of the ideas that you have. They're not bad at all and your drone and minibot ones are very similar to what I've been thinking for a while now. The idea of having a whole team in one weight class also has potential. However, you have to realize that most people's teams aren't that deep in one weight class. Personally, if I was running your tournament, I'd go for something more like a pokemon battle, where you have a team of 3-4 bots and a matchup against someone else's 3-4 bots each week with a limited number of substitutions available. That's actually something that I want to do in the future and you're welcome to help me organize it.

5) Hopefully this helped to clear some things up. Cheers, mate.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

patrickrowberry

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by patrickrowberry » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

can you please evaluate my writing skills i did for this match and if a am good enough to be a writer or not or should let someone else do it?

this the match i am writing for

http://scorpion1m.deviantart.com/art/pa ... -574602917

pro stats
speed 7
traction 5
torque 2
weapon 5
armour 11

Pegasus device

speed 5
traction 3
torque 2
weapon 17 (12 for crusher

here we have are two robots both who won there heats and got to final of this semi final but only 1 can get into the final four.
we have the powerful flipper of pro that has been ko robots out of the arena and out playing others and has been a favourite for this championships but his opponent is the Biteforce rip-of that no one would of guess to get this far but hist lifting and crushing skills have matched up to the very best and is looking for victory.

the two competitors shake hands as the robots get in position, pro in the left square tests his flipper and it looks amazing as Pegasus device in the right red square movies its crusher and lifter in unison after the show boating the robot face each other as the lights flash red..red...red..green...

the two robots charge each other but pro under estimates the lifter and goes straight up it and gets grabbed before it can get free Pegasus device goes of the lift but it crusher deals no damage to pro well armed flipper as it tires to flip it self free the first 2 times fail but the third succeeds before Pegasus device can take him to the side letting pro get free but lands upside down and self rights and drives away.

Pegasus device can't take advantage due to pro's speed but both are facing each other and pro is less aggressive but Pegasus device reacts by get his lifter under him and pushing him to the wall as pro tries and fail to flip out of it but as soon as the reach the wall pro drives backwards and gets 1 amazing side flip on Pegasus device sending the robot flying and do a full 360 close to the wall but land inside the arena and pro charges and get another flip in this time more under Pegasus device and is so close to being chucked out but bonces luckily in and facing pro side and get a good grab and lift and pro can't escape no matter how many times he tries to flip but before he can take pro to the wall the time goes and the match ends the Pegasus device lets go of pro inside the arena in a sporting gesture as it goes to the judges..

and what is this the judges are inspecting the robots for damage as it is that close both robots luck basically intact i wonder if it will come down to scars of brushes and its tight

aggression 8-7 pro
damage 8-7 Pegasus device
strategy 8-7 Pegasus device

23-22 to Pegasus device
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

patrickrowberry

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by patrickrowberry » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The Monsterworks</dt><dd>Jul 31 2016, 06:41 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>scorpion1m</dt><dd>Jul 30 2016, 07:58 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Jul 29 2016, 07:47 PM</dd></dl><div>my issues with your tournament are twofold:

that the plan

[/quote]Okay, scorpion, I'm going to be brutally honest, and there's no insult intended, so please don't be offended.

1) Let's examine this sentence that your wrote in your reply: "if needs to i want be a writer for the tournament". You used the word 'want' instead of 'won't', which completely changes the meaning of the sentence. It seems that you do realize that spelling and grammar are simply things that you aren't good with and are willing to step aside and act as director only. This is a wise choice.

2) FRR will run until about the beginning of October and both Showbots and CBC will be starting very soon after (first the former, and then the latter), so an October start would interfere with both. It just isn't feasible.

3) Your understanding of how stats work seems to differ greatly from that of the rest of the ARC community. You continue to seriously RP with a couple of bots that everybody else considers (by their interpretation of the rules) to have virtually no control. This could prove problematic.

4) I actually like some of the ideas that you have. They're not bad at all and your drone and minibot ones are very similar to what I've been thinking for a while now. The idea of having a whole team in one weight class also has potential. However, you have to realize that most people's teams aren't that deep in one weight class. Personally, if I was running your tournament, I'd go for something more like a pokemon battle, where you have a team of 3-4 bots and a matchup against someone else's 3-4 bots each week with a limited number of substitutions available. That's actually something that I want to do in the future and you're welcome to help me organize it.

5) Hopefully this helped to clear some things up. Cheers, mate.[/quote]you know what i will i will allow people to use my drone rules and make sure i save them

and the tournament will be drone fore the start of next year i will dealt the thread and re-create it with a shinny new name or let someone else hold a thread into i gain enough knowledge and respect to hold one

Deleted User

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Deleted User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:12 pm

I am having a hard time getting into Ruination . I do not know what is wrong.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by GF93 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:29 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Asbestosstar</dt><dd>Sep 6 2016, 12:12 PM</dd></dl><div>I am having a hard time getting into Ruination . I do not know what is wrong.[/quote]Image
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Hooray For Lexan

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Goddamnit GF93, that image makes me laugh every time I see it.

Anyway, Asbestosstar:

Step 1: Make sure to post in the correct thread, and use signups instead of double posting.

Step 2: I'd say the really big thing is to get some more practice on whatever CAD program you're using. There ought to be some tutorials out there. You can also ask more experienced users to help with your designs if you have an initial sketch that's intelligible. Right now your SHW and MW are acceptable, if a bit unpolished, but your LW's spinning boxes clip through its chassis and your HW appears to depict two different robots.

Step 3: On your signup post, make sure you explain the basics of how your robot works - at the very least what weapon you have.

Step 4: Improving stats. MOST robots don't need more than 2 torque. 1 is fine for spinners. Only use 3 torque if your design is something very torque-dependent, like a lifter. You can also generally get away with having speed up to 2 points higher than traction. For example, on "spinny," I might use: Speed 5, Traction 4, Torque 1. Also, balance your weaponry and armor. On a spinner, a weapon power of 12-14 is generally a good idea. Keep your weapon armor (base armor + 2 for overhead, shell, and ring spinners, base armor + 4 for every other kind of spinner) 5 points lower than your weapon power at a bare minimum, and preferably 4 points lower. For non-spinners, try to have at least 9 armor on the front of your robot: with good design this will keep most spinners from one-shotting you.

Step 5: Design Improvements. There are several important things here. First, make sure anything you build can self-right. Second, try to design your chassis in a way that prevents spinners from getting corner damage on you. Third, make sure your wedges touch the ground, either by resting on the ground for a 2WD machine or with hinges. If they do not touch the ground, they are not useful.

Deleted User

"How Can I Improve..."

Post by Deleted User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:07 pm

How can I?