The Crash & Burn Tournament 5

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Crash & Burn 4 is a few battles away from its end ( http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=255 ). In the meantime, I'd like to gather interest for the next tournament. [/shameless plug]

As you may know, my tournament requires basic knowledge of the technical aspects of fighting robots, such as drivetrain (motors, batteries and voltages), armour grades, dimensions, weapon power, etc. It also implies some emphasis on heavyweight robots (100kg/212lb), as the program Robot Wars (from Series 5 onwards) used heavyweights extensively. I know a lot of you aren't...with it with FRA-ish stats, but I know Alex, John, Dylan, both Nicks, Paul (Minion), and a few others are knowledgeable in this field (John however is unavailable, and I dunno about Dylan or Paul). Those that aren't (or so Josh has told me) I'd be most willing to help out with stats, and a few others who've taken part in the tournament can help as well, such as Martijn.

Now, I'm not going to leave otherweights out of the fun, because there will be some light, middle, and superheavyweight entries (plus antweights and featherweights, two lesser known classes). I am looking at 16 people entering 4 heavyweights, and depending on interest, 1 or 2 otherweights each. To be honest, really, you can enter real robots if you don't have enough heavyweights. ;) Like...I dunno, Alex could enter Malaria and Biohazard as a realie. :P A different format however has grabbed me, though, looking back at NFX's Gauntlet render, so it could be 6 heavyweight robots instead of 4. I'd like to discuss such a thing and see what we can come up with. I'd also really like renders of bots done because (as you've seen in C&B4) I do screenshots for most of my results.

The main big thing about my tournament, however, is tactics; they are rarely needed. :P I know I've gone off a bit on people not giving tactics in the past, but when it comes right down to it, a basic strategy is all that is required. The battles, however, can be either quite short, or quite long, and they are generally closer to being longer. They are pretty much always detailed, though. ;) That's the fun part, really. I've written results in Aftermath and Armageddon (and Robot Attack) and tried to make them either short or long depending on the match-up, and I'm rather proud of my longer results. :)

Another big thing about my tournament is that there will be multiple arenas. Yep, multiple. And I'm going to render all of them. Whether or not I'm going to go ahead with my gauntlet and trial ideas remains to be seen, but right now I must say I have some fantastic ideas. Already told Josh and Martijn about one particular arena that's definitely going in. ;)

And I know Alex has complained about the sheer length of time it takes to complete a tournament on FRA. :P Well speaking for myself, that was due to work, and my own laziness, and unfortunately that happens with only one writer. But (and this is not at all a dig at ARC, this is my own preference) I prefer to have only myself writing because if I mess up (and let's be honest, I do mess up quite a bit; remember Scorpion Bite vs. Wedge Devolution in C&B2, Alex?) then I can quickly sort it out. Anyway this particular tournament is going to fly by due to my amounts of free time, and I'm that determined to get it done so that interest doesn't dwindle.

With that said, I'm not sure how many people on ARC are interested in such a thing, but no harm in trying, eh? If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. :)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NFX

Post by NFX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Ah, Is this what you were wanting me to do the CAD for? =D

It sounds like a pretty good idea. I've not got a great deal of understanding about the internal workings of compat robots, though, but I might be able to give it a shot. If I can get enough time out of college work to get some stuff done, that is.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Pretty much along those lines, yep. ;)

There will be house robots, just not in every arena. ;) Edit: And you'll see Count Bleck again. :P

Badnik96
Team: Team Ignition

Post by Badnik96 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm game.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I would be interested... But there's the whole issue of me not being able to log on on the FRA site, so...

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Mark, I'm sure things could be worked out.

I'm going to get started on the new arenas soon.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Eh, bump.

Well FRA's been relatively dead for a while and there's been hardly any interest from both sides, so this may not go ahead as planned...in fact, probably won't. Haven't really wanted to write much lately in-between work, play, and FRR results.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 pm

False alarm. :P It's going ahead. I've decided.

I'm starting on the arenas right now. Said arenas may be a part of my ARC series to come soon, too. :P

C&B4 is now over. Here's a link to the final fights:
http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/index.p ... &start=270

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 am

Still interested, despite the, erm... difficulties in me being in the tournament.

Badnik96
Team: Team Ignition

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Totally in. I already have ideas.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

lewis

Post by lewis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:59 pm

You know I'd be in :D

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:42 pm

And the FRA thread's up! Currently accepting sign-ups! Do have a read:

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/fraforu ... 201&t=5022

the TF2 arena is going forward after all, thanks to some last-minute thinking :)

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Great. So Joey still thinks that Falling Down's ARC Final match was fixed against him. <_<

Anyway this does look pretty cool. It's a shame I have no fucking clue how to do FRA style stats. :lol:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I don't think there's anything anybody can do about that. Joey says it is, you guys say it wasn't, and no matter what anybody thinks, it'll likely stay unresolved, so let's leave the matter at rest. At least, for now.

Don't worry Josh, we can walk you through it, and if nothing else, we'll get some realistic stats set up for you. And not like Mark's ARC vs. FRA mess either. :P

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:46 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Apr 6 2012&#44; 05:32 PM</dd></dl><div>Don't worry Josh, we can walk you through it, and if nothing else, we'll get some realistic stats set up for you. And not like Mark's ARC vs. FRA mess either. :P[/quote]
But I won that... :(

I imagine doing realistic stats for something like Final Boss should be easy enough since it's a straightforward Biohazard knockoff. :cool:
Some of my other stuff though...lolz

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I don't think there's anything anybody can do about that. Joey says it is, you guys say it wasn't, and no matter what anybody thinks, it'll likely stay unresolved, so let's leave the matter at rest. At least, for now.[/quote]
As far as the Joey thing goes, don't worry I have no interest in reopening old wounds. I just don't want the presense of an "ARC Staffer" to cause any kind of friction and it just looked like there is still some level of resentment there.

Ordinarily I wouldn't really think on it too much, but I'm still kind of off-put by being completely villianized by someone I considered myself on good terms with, moreso than than the rest of the ARC staff anyway (Alex and yourself excluded of course).
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.