New stats idea

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Badnik96
Team: Team Ignition

New stats idea

Post by Badnik96 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Hai thar

I have an idea for a new stat system:

Speed
Reliability: Breakdown factor. More points means it's more reliable.
Weapon Power: How damaging the weapon is/how high it flips (for spinners, etc)(divide this by weapon speed to get spinup)
Weapon Speed: How fast the robot's weapon's max speed is. (in flippers and hammers, how fast the weapon moves at max velocity)
Traction: how well the bot controls on the arena floor.
Armor
Torque: Pushing Power
Turning: Turn speed of the bot

There would be 44 points applied ( -6 points if there is no spinner so points are even in terms of spinup ).

There could be also a restriction on Spinners, Flippers and Hammers (a bot's spinner has to be blank speed to be blank power, and then depending on power spinup could be restricted on spinners). Crushers and lifters could avoid this however. (when did you last see a fast crusher?)

Also armor plates could be added on certain parts of bots if it does not cover more than 1/3 of the bot and it had no more than a +1 armor stat (like added Lexan on Slam Job in certain fights for example)

Bonus points for weaponry equals the weapon power stat divided by 2. (2 weapon power equals 1 bonus point, 4 equals 2, etc) If the weapon power is an odd number, then you MUST round down. (say the weapon has a power of 11, the weapon only gets 5 bonus points). You must put the original weapon power as the original stat, and then the bonus points in brackets.

-8 for no active weapon with a power of more than 8 (to counteract brick rammers dominating in ARC)

Drive-powered thwack bots use their drive speed divided by half of traction as weapon power, and their traction stat as weapon speed. However, these are not deducted from usable points.

Omni wheels can use a "lockable" function to add torque if they so desire. However, you must remove 1 speed point for each wheel if you decide to use this. (so a 6WD omni bot must have at least a speed of 7 to use a lockable function)

Wheel armor is armor stat multiplied by 1/2 of the speed stat.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

succotash_54

New stats idea

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Replace "Wedge" stat with "Torque" and you might have something. Being "wedgy" involves a lot of strategy at times.

MadBull

New stats idea

Post by MadBull » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:38 pm

What I find odd is that there is both Weapon Power AND Weapon Force. Personally, if I enter a spinner, I want it to be first and foremost damaging and within these stats I could have a totally unrealistic 20 Weapon Power and 0 Weapon Force and be damaging as hell, not caring Im technically not producing much "force"

Weapon Power and Weapon Force seem to be roughly describing the same thing to me, and within that context Weapon Power seems to be the only one that matters

Badnik96

New stats idea

Post by Badnik96 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

fixed some stuff. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Also added something on how weapon stats could affect each other

Also added an example stat card
Team Ignition

StevenMcG

New stats idea

Post by StevenMcG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Ooh, interesting.

Personally, I think Weapon Speed and Spinup would perhaps be better combined into one category. It could not only cover how fast spinners reach their top speed, but also how fast lifters and flippers reach their max height, how quickly crushing and clamping arms can operate, and how many blows an axe can dish out in as many seconds. A whole category just for spinners seems a bit like splitting hairs.

On the subject of new statty things, I've been toying around with my own wee stat system recently:

WEAPONRY: How damaging the weaponry is. Bots with multiple, independent weapons split their points between them.
SPEED: How fast the bot moves from A to B.
ARMOUR: How strong the armour is.
TRACTION: How good the bot's pushing power and grip are.
MANOUEVERABILITY: How quickly the bot turns.

25 points over five categories. Clusterbots receive a 5 point bonus and must spread the points over all their segments.

Gave it a test run over on the FRA forum and it seemed to go down pretty well. Was planning to try out a bigger tourny including some of you delightful ARC chaps if you wanted. :)
"Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow, you may catch some disgusting skin disease!"
~ Edmund Blackadder

Fish Of Doom

New stats idea

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 pm

I agree. Weapon speed and damage are sort of the same thing.

NFX

New stats idea

Post by NFX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 am

I like Steven's idea, but I'm wondering if combining Traction and Manouverability into a single stat (Grip, for instance) might work slightly better. A high grip could give increased traction, but hinder turning ability, whereas a low grip could increase turning speed at the cost of less pushing power.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

StevenMcG

New stats idea

Post by StevenMcG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 am

Good point, NFX. The main reason for adding Manoueverability as a category is to act as a kind of all-purpose driving category. Mainly, it's meant to determine who could outdrive and outmanouevre who in close quarters and thus get the more attacks in, making it easier for me to pick an overall winner. Plus, it's quite possible for a bot to have high pushing power and still be pretty nimble on its wheels (eg Storm 2) and vice versa (just about any joke entrant).

That, and combining Traction and Manoueverability together would just give me the standard ARC system again (Weapon, Armour, Speed, Traction) and I wanted to try and do something at least slightly different with the points concept. 5 categories with a 5-point average each just sounds so nice and round to me. :)
"Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow, you may catch some disgusting skin disease!"
~ Edmund Blackadder

NFX

New stats idea

Post by NFX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 am

It does sound nice and round, but as with the current ARC stat system, I'm slightly worried about Brick Rammers with 0 Weapon and high everything else dominating the scene. More stats would probably work well, although I think forcing them to choose between agility and pushing power might work better than simply how many wheels they have.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle

StevenMcG

New stats idea

Post by StevenMcG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 am

The brick rammer thing bugs me too, which is why I added a little clause in the rules of the trial tourny stating that a minimum of one point be spent on each category. That could be a good weakness for the rammers actually - having high Traction means they can push bots around all day, but having low-to-bottom Weapon means they won't be able to inflict any damage when they do, no matter how hard they slam them into the wall. Even if it just means adding a couple of spikes or a weedy lifting arm to your passive wedge, it's a little better than having every fight between a bunch of boring blank boxes. ;)

The system would also ahere to the ARC rule of overpowered spinners, i.e. the higher the Weapon power and the lower the Armour, the more chance of self-destruction. It'd certainly stop folk sinking all their points into one huge flywheel and assigning 1 point to everything else. The thing would barely move and it would die if it actually hit anything :P
~ Edmund Blackadder

NFX

New stats idea

Post by NFX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 am

I suppose that would work.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

Badnik96

New stats idea

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

How about -8 for no active weapon? That leaves the bricks with 30 pts, and thus would be harder to make effective. (and no, hinged wedges do not count as active weapons)
Team Ignition

Fish Of Doom

New stats idea

Post by Fish Of Doom » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

People will just throw a power 1 lifter on their bot to get 8 extra points. I think it was brought up in another thread, but a good idea is to award bonus point for weapon power, like a power 4 weapon gets 2 extra points, power 10 gets 5, power 12 gets etc

Siphai

New stats idea

Post by Siphai » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:57 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Fish Of Doom</dt><dd>Mar 8 2011&#44; 05:49 PM</dd></dl><div> People will just throw a power 1 lifter on their bot to get 8 extra points. I think it was brought up in another thread, but a good idea is to award bonus point for weapon power, like a power 4 weapon gets 2 extra points, power 10 gets 5, power 12 gets etc [/quote]
I also like the idea of giving a bonus that would be less than the investment. So if you had a 5 weapon you would get a 4 point bonus, which for a dedicated rammer wouldn't be worth as much as just using the 5 weapon points for the rest of his armor/drive

Badnik96

New stats idea

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

how about the weapon needs a power of 4 to get the bonus or something?

Also I like Dylan's idea (not mine XD)
Team Ignition