ARC: Armageddon Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:04 pm

there was a difference between 'old' and 'modern' Eteks?

BEES

Post by BEES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes! There are three official Etek models, and a few unofficial ones.

Etek - 12 hp max
Etek-R - 15 hp max
Etek-RT - 19 hp max

If I find the specs for the original, I'll post them. The other two are on Robot Marketplace.

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Don't forget that the Mag motor version of Nightmare was the one that infamously turned Slam Job (a fairly well built bot) into scrap with a single hit.

BEES

Post by BEES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 pm

And before the magmotor, it had a pretty cool series wound motor in season 2 that left a big mark on Biohazard. Which brings me to Etek alternatives! Mars and D&D make comparable motors to Briggs&Stratton.

Parasite has a D&D ES-80A Series Wound, for instance.

20 hp peak. It's a tradeoff though. Heavier motor - 38 lbs. More batteries required. But it's more durable and robust than a permanent magnet motor. Series wound motors shut off their torque if their spinning is interrupted. No clutch necessary!

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Do those go in both directions? They also use up quite a lot of power if I remember correctly - car starter motors come to mind (motorbike starters tend to be permanent magnet, which is why Falling Down has two)

Incidentally the Agni model looks identical in appearance and specs to a LEM200 ;P

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 12:49 PM</dd></dl><div>
A) It's the most obvious form of plagiarism. You never even credited the bots with their proper owners and even renamed some of them. If I was an English professor and you were a student who did this on an outside source for an essay, you'd be kicked out of the class and maybe from the school as well. The point is, it was not explicitly stated in the rules because it should be obvious. I know Spatula basically ripped off Minion, but at least he made a CAD of it. There's enough clones that have an uncanny resemblance to a real life bot that we won't bother with that one.[/quote]

Not to mention the most obvious form of douche-itude. You say you're trying to make a point of effectiveness over originality. But you fail for three major reasons: one, the point's already been made with a lot of really original designs over the years, such as Chaosphere, Twin Suns, Colonel Kickass, You're Gonna Get It Dirty Shirley, etc. while bots like Japanese School Girl, AMP, Underall, etc. rack up the championships; two, you forgot that with Minion, we learned that great bots in real life don't translate well to our version, something getting lost in the translation; three, and most hilariously, as overarchingly important as your point is to you, you don't have a single champion in your paddock (yet).

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>B) Like DRD pointed out, it's called "Custom Fantasy league" which means we only accept "custom bots". And yes, you customized the stats, I suppose, but it's anything but a custom bot. If we allowed this, then anyone can enter these, and anyone can enter battlebots, the same Battlebots in every class, etc. and then the title CFL would become meaningless. [/quote]
Exactly. This is ARC, which grew out of the original CFRC, and *not* FBB.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:31 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>That's gotta be the most poor reasoning ever since no staff member gave you an OK on it to begin with. [/quote]

Siphai could have, he knew what I was doing.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It's the most obvious form of plagiarism.[/quote]

No it's not. Where did I say these designs were mine? Control F my post and tell me where it says that. In fact, if you bothered to read my sign ups post, you'll specifically see that I blatantly mention that the designs AREN'T mine. Pretty lame sell for plagarization if you outright admit the work isn't yours, yanno?

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>You never even credited the bots with their [/quote]

Chris, if you don't know who's responsible for Nightmare and Warrior SKF, and don't expect a majority of the members on this forum to know who's responsible for them, I contest your ability to run this league. I'm not even shitting you.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>because it should be obvious.[/quote]

Nobody said anything when Nick entered Minion, so why should it? I don't recall Nick crediting Christian Carlberg for Minion. Every single user here I hope knows that Christian Carlberg built Minion. Just like we all know Jim Swentowski built Nightmare.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I know Spatula basically ripped off Minion, but at least he made a CAD of it.[/quote]

Oh, and that makes it all right? The CAD is literally identical to Minion outside of the skin. If all it takes is a re-skinning, gimme a couple minutes and I'll photoshop them into different colors.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>There's enough clones that have an uncanny resemblance to a real life bot that we won't bother with that one.[/quote]

And why not? It might as well be the same thing.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>But you fail for three major reasons: one, the point's already been made with a lot of really original designs over the years[/quote]

Again, tell me where I said being original automatically means bad. Tell me where it says that. I didn't. What I DID say is that effectiveness and originality are two completely different things. Look at all the successful rammer-bots to prove my point that you can make a boring design out of almost any rammer base and it's going to do well. Conversely, if you're an FBS, you're almost always going to break even.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>two, you forgot that with Minion, we learned that great bots in real life don't translate well to our version,[/quote]

All this proves is that Minion is a bad adaptation to CFL, not that every single BB bot in the world is. Again, look at all the successful knock-offs to prove a point. Minon is a bad design in CFL rules for three large reasons:

A: Well-rounders simply do not do well in leagues. You need to be fast or hit hard, it's one or the other.
B: It wastes points on the srimech. At least, Nick's version did. The disc did next to nothing as a result of being bogged down, and he only had so many points in his drivetrain.
C: Small-ass disc, big-ass target.

Robots like Biohazard, Vlad 2 (Basically HW Vladiator with a better lifter), and BattleRat don't suffer from these fundamental problems; these are all designs that could translate perfectly well into CFL. Didn't Inflammitory Slammer 2 make the playoffs? That thing's basically Biohazard, no offense to Lewis, so that's a point already proven.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>you don't have a single champion in your paddock (yet).[/quote]

Philip, it's because I don't have a championship that I'm taking this new approach. In previous seasons I entered gimmicky designs like I4NI over actually effective ones like Tornado Mer. Look at where the hell that got me. I'm done with gimmicks, it's time to use shit that actually works.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm not trying to backpedal or whatever, but me not saying anything does not mean I said yes to it&#33;

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:33 PM</dd></dl><div> I'm not trying to backpedal or whatever, but me not saying anything does not mean I said yes to it&#33; [/quote]
Well, me having some semblance of respect for you, I figured at least you of all people would go "hey don't do that" when I pretty much told you what I was going to do.

DRD

Post by DRD » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Bro look at me. DCR is basically a Huggy Bear knock off but I gave it my own twist. The least you could do is attempt to make it somewhat unique to you. I mean come on John's robot last season Deadstar essentially was based off of Nightmare but yet he still had a unique twist on it.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:41 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>panicattacky2k</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:38 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:33 PM</dd></dl><div> I'm not trying to backpedal or whatever, but me not saying anything does not mean I said yes to it&#33; [/quote]
Well, me having some semblance of respect for you, I figured at least you of all people would go "hey don't do that" when I pretty much told you what I was going to do. [/quote]
i really wasnt sure how i felt about it, or how the rest of the moderator team felt about it&#33; sorry

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I think you might now, Alex. <_<
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

I didn't actually think Tony was going to do it ;P my usual overanalyzing of everything led me to the conclusion that he was making a sarcastic point about Lian entering Minion, I didn't know he actually had entered three realies until Dan pointed it out to me this morning.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:41 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>panicattacky2k</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:38 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:33 PM</dd></dl><div> I'm not trying to backpedal or whatever, but me not saying anything does not mean I said yes to it&#33; [/quote]
Well, me having some semblance of respect for you, I figured at least you of all people would go "hey don't do that" when I pretty much told you what I was going to do. [/quote]
i really wasnt sure how i felt about it, or how the rest of the moderator team felt about it&#33; sorry [/quote]
its fine i guess. but next time say something first. this could have been over before it started

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>panicattacky2k</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 03:31 PM</dd></dl><div>
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>You never even credited the bots with their [/quote]

Chris, if you don't know who's responsible for Nightmare and Warrior SKF, and don't expect a majority of the members on this forum to know who's responsible for them, I contest your ability to run this league. I'm not even shitting you. [/quote]

Doesn't matter if everyone knows it's not original. If you don't cite the source specifically, it's plagiarism. Ask any professor. And Chris is a hell of a lot more competent to run this league than you are. I'm not even shitting you.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>
Nobody said anything when Nick entered Minion, so why should it? I don't recall Nick crediting Christian Carlberg for Minion. Every single user here I hope knows that Christian Carlberg built Minion. Just like we all know Jim Swentowski built Nightmare.[/quote]

1. Nick at least made a CAD for it, rather than just blatantly borrow the picture (which could be considered theft of intellectual property, to link to their pics without their permission, just to get super-technical with you).

2. That was the ONLY design Nick borrowed, and was at least 3/4ths original, whereas you've got those numbers back-asswards.

3. Nick didn't borrow Minion as an overtly desperate attempt to win a championship. And yes, motivation is a factor.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Again, tell me where I said being original automatically means bad. Tell me where it says that. I didn't. What I DID say is that effectiveness and originality are two completely different things. Look at all the successful rammer-bots to prove my point that you can make a boring design out of almost any rammer base and it's going to do well. Conversely, if you're an FBS, you're almost always going to break even.[/quote]

And you missed what I said. I said you didn't need to prove it because it's already BEEN proven.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Philip, it's because I don't have a championship that I'm taking this new approach. In previous seasons I entered gimmicky designs like I4NI over actually effective ones like Tornado Mer. Look at where the hell that got me. I'm done with gimmicks, it's time to use shit that actually works.[/quote]

Let me use smaller words to make sure you understand: not one of the three real life bots you chose for your team have won the Nut in real life BattleBot tournaments. That's what makes your using them for the reason you state so funny.