ARC: Armageddon Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:50 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 09:12 AM</dd></dl><div> OK, Now I'm just pissed at PanicAttack.

(I know he's gonna argue with me that it's legal, but come on)

I didn't have a problem with the four Shovearounds, but now you're just exploiting the rules.

Back on GTM, we had someone who entered BBEANS (the biggest RA2 tourney of the year) with a bot that had invincible armor. It bugged all of us, but he stated that it wasnt against the rules. After this, the type of invincible armor he used is no longer allowed in tourneys. Get my drift? [/quote]
The difference between what Tony's doing and what that dick did is the fact that Tony isn't exploiting the rules to give himself an unfair advantage. It's perfectly fine for him to use real robots, as they all have their share of flaws that can be exploited.

The guy you're talking about did something that caused himself to have an overly unfair advantage, which in the way you're describing to me, is really stupid for you guys to have allowed in a BBEANS tourney and a simple common sense could have nixed it despite there being nothing in the rules against it.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 09:37 AM</dd></dl><div> Nope, I don't do any real robotic combat. Though I would certainly like to. The sum total of my experience are an R/C Shunt and Matilda, and something called Cybot which could do a bunch of wierd stuff. I just have not much money at the moment.

And Badnik, I think PanicAttack's doing this partly to prove a point. Or something along those lines, something like "I can do this, so I will". [/quote]
Most likely Tony is doing this to give his team a little variety and to Have Fun with the game. If there's a point to prove here then I have entirely missed it.

DRD

Post by DRD » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 am

I guess we can leave the decision up to Gemini. I still say it's kinda stupid since the C in CFL stands for Custom. Ripping pictures of other bots in real life is far from custom. If you are really that desperate for robot ideas I'm sure someone has some leftover bots they aren't using.

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 am

Tony, you should've at least used the current Nightmare that has an E-Tek instead of a MagMotor.

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:48 am

Mark, I think you might be missing the point of ARC ever so slightly.

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 am

E-Tek(15hp) vs Magmotor(3-4hp). And to be honest, it doesn't really matter. We're here to have fun, not to bitch.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Back on GTM, we had someone who entered BBEANS (the biggest RA2 tourney of the year) with a bot that had invincible armor. It bugged all of us, but he stated that it wasnt against the rules. After this, the type of invincible armor he used is no longer allowed in tourneys. [/quote]

i laughed

for like, an hour

Like srsly, I don't know what's funnier, your analogy failing so hard or the fact that you guys didn't have the common sense to tell the guy to go fuck himself. Hilarious, honest.

Hey, what are the current rules on GTM about motors? Does it say anywhere that I can't have a spinner with a super-motor that kills everything in one hit? I might enter if I can&#33;

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>E-Tek(15hp) vs Magmotor(3-4hp). And to be honest, it doesn't really matter. We're here to have fun, not to bitch. [/quote]

as far as ARC's concerned, that should be purely cosmetic

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 am

Still, an E-Tek will make your 12 weapon power seem more realistic. But why do I care? Nightmare's a pretty good robot.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Meganew</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 11:16 AM</dd></dl><div>Still, an E-Tek will make your 12 weapon power seem more realistic. But why do I care? Nightmare's a pretty good robot.[/quote]
Mark, it's a motor. In a league like ARC, A motor is a motor is a motor.

I could take 2 otherwise identical LWs and give an internal shot where one is using eteks for drive and the other is using astroflights for drive, and give both a speed/traction of 6/6 even. They'd run exactly the same. Obviously in real life the LW powered by eteks would be overweight and the one powered by astroflights wouldn't even move. Obviously, this shit would matter for nightmare in real life, here in ARC, your motors and whatnot are pretty much a cosmetic factor.

As to why im entering rl bots? Only point I'm trying to prove is that effectiveness>originality, and I think that all of the designs I selected are effective ones that can win.

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:31 am

Yeah... But anyways, some of the other guys need to hurry it up. There's only 1 day until the deadline&#33;

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:56 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>panicattacky2k</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 05:29 PM</dd></dl><div> Obviously in real life the one powered by astroflights wouldn't even move. [/quote]
Being slightly pedantic it would - a few real life lightweights and at least one middleweight and even superheavyweight (Deb Bot and Son Of Whyachi of late) have been using Astroflight 90s for drive for a while, Deb Bot only used two and was very quick and fast (they do put out well over a horsepower peak - just get hot doing so)

Personally speaking I gave Falling Down complex stats because a) there are a few things in there (springs, magnets, drive belts rather than chains, very little magnetic material) that give it a slight advantage and B) because I'm used to doing them on FRA and like to do my research. They do add a lot to the writer's understanding of it but on this board I would expect the ones in the picture to be the main ones.

BEES

Post by BEES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Meganew</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 11:16 AM</dd></dl><div> Still, an E-Tek will make your 12 weapon power seem more realistic. But why do I care? Nightmare's a pretty good robot. [/quote]
Nightmare has an etek. Even though it's not pictured, we all know it had one in season 5. Whether or not he uses the up-to-date picture doesn't matter.

Meganew

Post by Meganew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 pm

True. I even said so earlier.

Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>panicattacky2k</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 06:42 AM</dd></dl><div> i might regret this but im gonna take the fact that i wasnt shut down from the start as "yeah, you can do that". [/quote]
That's gotta be the most poor reasoning ever since no staff member gave you an OK on it to begin with.

I was reminded of a thread about a year ago where everyone fucking shat all over Sparkey for stealing Drive and putting a new name over top of him. The funny thing now is most people seem to be OK with Anthony doing the same thing thing with a real Battlebot.

It was never explicitly stated in the rules, BUT we can definitely turn you down for a couple of reasons:

A) It's the most obvious form of plagiarism. You never even credited the bots with their proper owners and even renamed some of them. If I was an English professor and you were a student who did this on an outside source for an essay, you'd be kicked out of the class and maybe from the school as well. The point is, it was not explicitly stated in the rules because it should be obvious. I know Spatula basically ripped off Minion, but at least he made a CAD of it. There's enough clones that have an uncanny resemblance to a real life bot that we won't bother with that one.

B) Like DRD pointed out, it's called "Custom Fantasy league" which means we only accept "custom bots". And yes, you customized the stats, I suppose, but it's anything but a custom bot. If we allowed this, then anyone can enter these, and anyone can enter battlebots, the same Battlebots in every class, etc. and then the title CFL would become meaningless.

Because of point B, I feel the staff has a right to implement this rule change before the season begins. I don't want to hear the "you should have thought of this before the season started&#33;". We're not a professional organization who has all the time in the world to look over every single absurdity that could possibly be exploited.

I'll talk it over with the rest of the staff later.

BEES

Post by BEES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Meganew</dt><dd>Jan 8 2011&#44; 10:58 AM</dd></dl><div> E-Tek(15hp) vs Magmotor(3-4hp). And to be honest, it doesn't really matter. We're here to have fun, not to bitch. [/quote]
Also, an Etek back then was 12hp. I know modern Eteks are 15, but Nightmare was retired before it could benefit from that.

The C40-500 Magmotor could be safely overvolted to 36v, if it was only going to run in 1 direction. I believe Nightmare did this, which brought it around 6-8hp.