Omegaforce Component Packs

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Wed May 12, 2010 11:41 am

I did this a while back and I would like to see if there is any interest in it now. Basicly the packs would be downloadable Rhino files of various components for use in designing CFL bots. This could help some of the less experienced guys start making their own CADs. A basic chassis is the easy part, but the more detailed components can take some serious skill to make. This could be hosted on the site if Chris is OK with it.

The packs could include:
Various Tires
Omni-wheels
Motors
Linear Actuators
Chains and Sprockets
Pneumatic Components
Weapon Heads

I could even be pursuaded to release some of my own parts (such as JAKT's rescue saw).

prince palatine

Post by prince palatine » Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 am

Do you want me to link this to the guys at FRA/GTM etc :)

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm

If I do make these they'd be fully public release files, so sure.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 pm

This would be pretty cool. I haven't toyed around with Rhino in a long time (probably since I got this laptop). As such I'm pretty rusty (though not as if my CADs were overly detailed to begin with. This would make it a lot easier for me to join FF.

Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Great idea. I love it. I usually redo my own wheels quickly whenever I make a new bot but recently I've been lazy and often just copy/paste. I definitely like it, though, and yeah, I'll host it.

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Thu May 13, 2010 10:06 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>May 12 2010&#44; 11:49 PM</dd></dl><div> Great idea. I love it. I usually redo my own wheels quickly whenever I make a new bot but recently I've been lazy and often just copy/paste. I definitely like it, though, and yeah, I'll host it. [/quote]
Tell me about it... The wheels from the first JAKT have showed up on like 70% of my designs.

i think i got my cat preg

Post by i think i got my cat preg » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 am

ick i always liked that everyone had thier own style when it came to these things

whatever though

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Fri May 14, 2010 9:45 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>i think i got my cat pregnant</dt><dd>May 14 2010&#44; 08:12 AM</dd></dl><div> ick i always liked that everyone had thier own style when it came to these things

whatever though [/quote]
It's mostly to help people who are new to Rhino get started.

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Fri May 14, 2010 10:06 am

Download

Here's release number one: Omegaforce Wheels pack&#33;

Included in this release:

Diamond Tread Wheel - This is the original JAKT wheel that has also been used on DarkStar, DeadStar, Sovereign and Diamondback. Good all around tire that's tough enough to leave exposed on smaller bots.

Copperhead Wheel - This "dualie" wheel is actually two wheels that can be used separately as left and right directional wheels.

Colson Style Wheel - A very light plastic rimmed wheel for smaller bots. This one comes with an aluminum hub installed.

Wide Directional Tire - This very large tire has been used on Sovereign and Zero. Huge traction and very tough; great for thwack bots.

Carefree Style Tire - This is a solid rubber tire similar to those on Sewer Snake and The Matador. It has weight reduction holes already drilled.

Small Omni-Wheel - This is a small 6 roller omni-wheel from DeadStar and Diamondback. Aranging these in a Triangular or X shape will allow movement in any direction without turning, but will cost you your traction.

Large Omni-Wheel - This is the mother of all omni-wheels with 24 rollers. This wheel is great for larger omni bots that need invertibility.

NOTES: All of these wheels are grouped components, so to change the color or or remove unwanted parts, just ungroup them.

Most of the wheels can be scaled for size, width, and diameter. The omni-wheels however should ONLY be scaled in 3D. Trying to alter the width or diameter only will make the rollers oblong.

All wheels are one side only. For most of them you can simply copy and rotate to get the other side, but I recommend using the mirror tool. For the Copperhead and Wide Directional tires, you must use the mirror tool or the other side will be backwards.

Enjoy, and look for more packs in the furture&#33;

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:55 pm

How do I put more than one into one cad?

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>May 14 2010&#44; 06:55 PM</dd></dl><div> How do I put more than one into one cad? [/quote]
Copy the part using the "Copyclip" command. This is not the command that copies a part on the current CAD.

Step 1: Open the part you want to add in a second Rhino window.
Step 2: Select the part to be copied.
Step 3: Click the "Edit" tab and select the first "Copy".
Step 4: Go back to your original window and click "Edit" > "Paste".

Doing this actually copies the part onto the clipboard for pasting into another file. Then all you have to do is size it how you want and place it.

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Hey, thanks man. you rock. :lol:
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

BEES

Post by BEES » Sat May 15, 2010 10:37 pm

which version of Rhino will these be compatible with?

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>May 16 2010&#44; 03:37 AM</dd></dl><div> which version of Rhino will these be compatible with? [/quote]

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 am

Download

Component pack #2 is now out&#33;

This pack is batteries. If you're like me and like building the internals or if you want to use lexan armor, these batteries will help you.

12V NiCd - This 10 C-cell pack is perfect for smaller bots or can be series wired to more packs in high voltage applications that don't have enough room for a 24V pack.

24V NiCd - This is the 20 C-cell pack. Good power in a lightweight package.

12V SLA (Small) - This battery is what you expect to find in a powerwheels toy. Higher amperage and smaller size than the 12V NiCd but a bit heavier. Great for LW or MW bots that require high amps (Rammers and Spinners).

12V SLA (Large) - This is my rip-off of the Hawker Oddysey. Highest current in this pack, but also large and heavy. 2-4 of these bad boys wired in series can support even the nastiest SHW Spinner.

24V NiMH - This is the custom 20 D-cell pack found in Sidewinder. Huge burst current for HW or SHW Rammers or HW Spinners. These packs are built on two heat-sink trays, outfitted with twin 12V cooling fans, and wrapped in clear shrink wrap.

Notes on this pack:
All of the battlepacks have leads with a quick connector installed. This can easily be removed to use your own wiring (if you even want to show it).

I don't pay much attention to scale when making separate models, so be aware that if you put two different batteries in the same model they aren't properly scaled to one another. The order from small to large is 12VSLAS, 12VNiCd, 24VNiCd, 24VNiMH, 12VSLAL.

These are meant to be a specific shape, so you should only scale them in 3D, especially the NiCd and NiMH packs which will make the cells oblong.

There is a bit of an easter egg on one of the batteries if you care to find it.

Also: If there's a specific part you'd like to have included in the packs, post the request here. I'm talking mainly about parts anyone can use. If you want a one-off part (a disc with a custom patern for example) I MIGHT do it on a case by case basis if I have time.

Lastly, if anyone would like to post pics of the parts or applications you have used them on, feel free. I couldn't be bothered to make pictures of each one.