REDDIT Tournament Format: Part One

Section for tournament polls. Other stuff, such as CFL All-Stars, are located here.
Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 am

With Battlebots returning to TV and set to air this May, we'll be hosting a tournament on the subreddit for the first time in close to a year. This is not only a chance to just have a simple, fun event with a large draw, but it's a golden opportunity, like the 2015 and 2016 tournaments, to get some new people interested in ARC. Ideally, we'd like to strike a balance between accessibility to newcomers and enjoyment for us (not to say that those are mutually exclusive). With that in mind, I'm putting the potential weight class down to a vote.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

Post by Shaba117 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 am

Assuming that the new BB season will remain solely a HW class, I think the Reddit tournament should also remain a HW-only event. Also, for simplicity's sake. For instance, if HammerFall was a multi-weightclass event, I'd felt overwhelmed; assume your average Redditor isn't AlexMW ;)

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 am

i think we should hold a heavyweight "main" event, and a non-mandatory featherweight "side" event that might just be some random grudge matches or whatever. i think if we do end up attracting new blood we're going to have to get them accustomed to multiple weight classes sooner than later, and i think this is a good way to do it.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:54 am

if we have a featherweight grudge match thing I'm entering Oh Geeze I'm terribly sorry I didn't mean to flip your robot over :V
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:54 pm

I second the idea of a heavyweight main event and a featherweight exhibition/side event.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 pm

I voted Arbitraryweight because it's not like you can't just scale a robot to be about the same size as its competitor, and it's not like we weigh or give dimensions for our robots anyway. But it might be good to give heavyweight as a guideline just to give people a frame of reference. And it ought to be heavyweight, in that case, because BB is heavyweight. As for a side event, I think it ought to be run separately but on the same subreddit if we do do one. Maybe that was implied, but putting the two together might make it feel mandatory and more intimidating to enter for newbies for whom CADing a robot is a challenge.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 pm

My comments on the matter:

Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:36 pm

I just want a Heavyweight only competition. Knowing how Reddit is, I can guarantee you that a lot of people will not want to do multiple weight classes, even if it is a "heavyweight with featherweight grudge matches"

For Hammerfall I got probably 50+ messages from people when I initially started planning it, and most of them wanted it to follow ABCs Battlebots format as Heavyweight only. I think that adding a smaller class will hurt sign ups, HOWEVER, if the featherweight entry was optional, I think they would be down for it.

Further, the mods on /r/Battlebots are awesome guys for the most part(granted I'm talking about experiences from what...3 years ago[sidenote:shit I can't believe it's been 3 years] so it may be different now) but they really pushed me to do a heavyweights only tournament. So, to get their blessing and support some compromise may be needed.

/u/qwerty3000 and /u/sindrooome24(or whatever his name is) are the guys you need to talk to, they are really into this fantasy thing.