An end to RoboGames

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
G-Force

An end to RoboGames

Post by G-Force » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Hey guys, I'm not sure if y'all remember me. I was a pretty frequent member here about 5-6 years ago. But if you don't, I'm Paul (one of three at the time, I believe).

Dave Calkins, who has run the RoboGames / Combots competitions since around 2004, has announced that Robogames 10 (that occurred this previous weekend) would be the last one. It is truly the end of an era, and we are all sad to see it go, but Dave and Simone have poured their heart and souls (and money) into running the event and it's time they step down.

Obviously this leaves a big question mark up in the air, because RoboGames was the last standing competition that 60's, 120's and 220's could compete at. We're hoping someone steps up to take the reins but it may be a few years till something pops up again.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens next. I've already heard buzz about another potential event being organized in Miami.

I built and competed a 120 at this weekend's event, and it was absolutely incredible. I live up in Philadelphia, so until things get going again I'm going to be building some 30's, so you might see me at some NERC/Motorama events.

Anyway, take care guys.

Paul

Sparkey989

An end to RoboGames

Post by Sparkey989 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:11 am

Yeah, it's a real shame to see the name go away, but you have to admit Dave ran that shit for a looong time. Nine years or so, and that's gotta be a ton of work to commit to. I am sure a new event will pop up in the next few years or so, I mean with all the builders in the country such as yourself, no one is going to just call it quits because one event went away. The community has been watching the death and birth of events for roughly 20 years or so you know? So something new is always going to come up in today's roboticized age.

Also, what bot did you compete with G-Force?

Badnik96

An end to RoboGames

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 am

Hi dude!! What was the name of your 120?

I agree that it's a real shame to see it go, but nothing ever lasts forever...

Sparkey, G-Force drove Shockwave and Don't Flick the Bean, among others.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

An end to RoboGames

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 am

Well that's a darn pity. :(

But hey, you're in Philly? You should hunt down Chris. He goes to Temple and lives in Philly during the school year.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

G-Force

An end to RoboGames

Post by G-Force » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 am

The name of my bot was Hurricane Cindy. Boxy with a 40-lb spinning steel disc.
It was our first robot and had some pretty obvious flaws (spoiler alert, don't attach your tool steel teeth with hex bolts... Even grade 8's will shear off after a hit or two..).

We went 2-2 with two knockouts. Which I thought was fairly decent for a bunch of rookies..

And HAH, no, Don't Flick The Bean will probably never see a real fight. If it does, it will certainly be renamed :P

Badnik96

An end to RoboGames

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

So are you sticking around? Maybe competing again?
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

G-Force

An end to RoboGames

Post by G-Force » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Oh, absolutely. I'm gonna rebuild my 120 (got hardcore fucked up in our last match, But most of our motors, batteries, and ESCs are still fine). Then start to work on a 30lb, most likely.

Sorry- if you were referring to fantasy competitions, then no. Haha.

Here's a picture of my robot (I'm on the right).

Siphai

An end to RoboGames

Post by Siphai » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 am

So if Dave and Simmons are stepping down is there anyone else willing to step up and take the reigns? It's expensive and a lot of work but... idk... what kind of draw has robotgames had in the last couple of years.

Sparkey989

An end to RoboGames

Post by Sparkey989 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:35 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Apr 26 2013&#44; 12:49 AM</dd></dl><div> So if Dave and Simmons are stepping down is there anyone else willing to step up and take the reigns? It's expensive and a lot of work but... idk... what kind of draw has robotgames had in the last couple of years. [/quote]
There's already talk on the US robotics community facebook page about starting up another event.

G-Force

An end to RoboGames

Post by G-Force » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 26 2013&#44; 05:35 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Apr 26 2013&#44; 12:49 AM</dd></dl><div> So if Dave and Simmons are stepping down is there anyone else willing to step up and take the reigns? It's expensive and a lot of work but... idk... what kind of draw has robotgames had in the last couple of years. [/quote]
There's already talk on the US robotics community facebook page about starting up another event. [/quote]
It's less "talk" and more "panicked spitballing." There are plenty of people willing to help, but nobody willing to fork over the (several) thousands of dollars it takes to run the event. Robogames drew a decent-sized crowd, but it was mostly comprised of builders and their families/friends. The return on investment is so poor because its not the type of event that attracts many outsiders, so you can't put too much faith in gaining profit from ticket sales. I'm gonna give it a while- probably several months- before any REAL progress is made. Until then, look for me at NERC/Motorama.