Aquatic Robotics Garage

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Aquatic Robotics Garage

Post by Noisy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm

i really like Splashdown and I'm interested to see how it does in ROBOT2. I used a similar hinge system in LowRider but that is a rammer. Also +1 for Sketchfab, more people should use it.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: Aquatic Robotics Garage

Post by attackfrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Looks like I haven't made a robot since July... sounds about right. Here's a new one!

The Gnasher

The Gnasher by attackfrog on Sketchfab

An eggbeater-style vertical spinner, as you can see, and the latest in my "The XXX" series. The beater is mounted in a hinged bracket, similar to Lockjaw's vertical spinner. This lets it be perfectly invertible.
What weight class is it? Something heavy, but I'm not entirely sure yet. The stats are going to focus on aggression: this is a hungry robot.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 am

<3

Lovin' that tire design.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Since I've submitted my whole team to CBC3, I'll record it here too for posterity.

I think I've got some interesting robots this time (maybe not so much with Cruelty :V ). They're unlikely to be champions (unless Cruelty can do what Speed Bison could not) but they should be fun to RP for if nothing else.

The Gnasher is my attempt at a Yeti-style VS. Dunno if such a thing is possible in ARC but we'll find out! I should have done some anti-undercutter stuff for it, probably, but I doubt that's what's going to kill it with so many other more powerful VS robots in the field.

Psychosis took a stupidly long time to invent, model, and render and I have no doubt that all my hard efforts are not going to pay off at all. This thing is a bit exploitative with the weapon armor bonus but overall it's still a jack of all trades, master of none and that's not really a winning strategy, as much as I'd like it to be. But as long as I get to karate chop someone with a giant plow spinning at 3K RPM or whatever it's all good.

Cruelty is a bit of a try-hard bot, I'll admit. I wanted to reuse the drive pods from Obsession on a bot that wasn't so wacky and to give the Whoops! ram plate a shot in ARC, and I wasn't done with the lifting plow idea from Speed Bison either. Take all that, spice it up with a couple more plow designs, put it in a robot, and you've got this thing. It'll probably do all right.

LW: The Gnasher
[Sketchfab Render] [TinkerCAD Model]
-
gnasher-main.jpg
gnasher-main.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
3D Preview
The Gnasher is a wiiide 4WD eggbeater robot. Its weapon is mounted on two hinged fork-arms on either side of it. It is the latest of my "demonic robots with teeth" series, which I have yet to figure out how to really decorate properly. Oh well. At least it's got some cool rims: check out the Sketchfab render to see them.

Stats: 6 Speed / 5 Traction / 1 Torque / 11 Weapon / 8 Armor (+1 to the green wheel shields)

MW: Psychosis
-
psychosis-main.jpg
psychosis-main.jpg (111.36 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
3D Preview
Psychosis is a robot so insane it's said that to just look upon it is to go mad! Upon its 4WD chassis is mounted a lifting arm with a spinning weapon on the end. It can be used either as a plow or, when raised high enough to clear the ground, as an overhead spinner. On either side is a small hinged wedge.

Stats: 6 Speed / 5 Traction / 1 Torque / 14 Weapon (12 spinner / 2 lifter) / 5 Armor 4 Armor

SHW: Cruelty
-
cruelty-main.jpg
cruelty-main.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
cruelty-configs.jpg
cruelty-configs.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
3D Preview
Cruelty is kind of a spiritual successor of my last heavyweight, Speed Bison. It too is a somewhat unconventional lifting plow: the front drive pods are hinged and move up and down when linear actuators in the rear drive pods extend and retract. Some high-resistance springs help cushion the system. Like The Gnasher, it's also very wiiiide.
Cruelty has three configurations (though I only rendered one in Sketchfab): A Duck-style ram, a rack of forks, and a big & tall plow.

Stats: 8 Speed / 7 Traction / 4 Torque / 1 Weapon / 10 Armor (+2 ram/forks/plow)
Last edited by attackfrog on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Turns out Psychosis had 31 stat points. I told you it was crazy!

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I just remembered I never posted this outside of Discord! I'd been feeling The Angry Urchin needed a proper remake, so here it is: The Angrier Urchin.

The Angrier Urchin by attackfrog on Sketchfab

I abandoned the inchworm walking system for a "much more sensible" offset 6WD, and added a lot of spikes to live up to the urchin theme. Dunno what I'm going to enter it in but I'll guarantee you it'll have more than 1 speed this time. Whether or not it'll get a silly propeller hat is TBD :V

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:24 pm

I came up with another bad idea.

Hellmouth

Hellmouth by attackfrog on Sketchfab

I'm gonna put the idea of "flamethrowers don't do any damage" to the test. I've put a giant burner in the front of the robot with some fins on the inside to make the high-pressure gas come out in a semi-controlled vortex. Who knows what it would actually do IRL but the basic idea is to put out the maximum amount of flaming allowed by the rules for the duration of the match and hope that melts whatever's in front of it.

The wedge spikes are removable, and the hoops of shame hammer blocker rings on top should let Hellmouth self-right either through torque or by bumping into the wall.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Another fun/weird/probably mediocre robot for y'all!

Sideswipe

https://skfb.ly/6KHuO
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/a3kYIQAMNcv
main-sketchfab.png
main-sketchfab.png (541.09 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

Sideswipe by attackfrog on Sketchfab

It's a hydraulic turret lifter with a hinged plow on the front. It'll have stats at some point probably.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 pm

I don't think I put my ROBOT3 team in here, so here they are, for the record:

FW: The Terrible Toad Twins

Sketchfab Render
A pair of 2WD vertical spinners. The design is based on the fire bellied toad, which is a really cool looking frog. They've got some rollers behind the spinners to keep them mobile if they're upside down.

5 Speed / 4 Traction / 1 Torque / 7 Weapon / 9 Armor (Each)

LW: Admiral

Sketchfab Render
A 2WD rear-hinged flipper. That's about it.

7 Speed / 6 Traction / 1 Torque / 6 Weapon / 10 Armor

MW: Whirlpool

Sketchfab Render
A 3WD horizontal spinner with wedgelets on the side. Yeah, it's sideways too.

In addition, the rear of the robot is taller than the front.

As a result, it's tilted when inverted.

4 Speed / 3 Traction / 1 Torque / 15 Weapon / 7 Armor

HW: Sideswipe

Sketchfab Render
A turret lifter. The turret spins 360 degrees and the lifter goes as high as it can with the hydraulic pistons fully extended (you'll have to use your imagination for that one.)

The spikes on the plow can be removed, as an optional configuration.

5 Speed / 4 Traction / 3 Torque / 5 Weapon (3 turret, 3 lifter) / 13 Armor (+1 plow/forks)

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:53 pm

I also just finished working on my first robot in a few months: Disposal Unit. I'm pretty proud of how it came out in the end. As you should be able to tell from the render, it's fully invertible and has some little hinged wedgelets. As usual, I'm going to put off thinking about stats for a bit, but suggestions would be welcome.

Disposal Unit by attackfrog on Sketchfab

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:38 pm

sick detail with the top wedgelets

for stats, maybe some modification of Shadow MKII? I'm still convinced that could have won way more fights if Code spent more time with the rps

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Okay fine, #yolo.

LARGE
Sketchfab Render

It's a HUGE clone.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Finally finished this grabber thing I've been working on for weeks. Similar to Psychosis, it seemed like a great idea at first and then never came together smoothly. Hopefully this one will do better than Psychosis did.

Mania
Sketchfab 3D Render

The red forks rotate up and down, the black arm rotates up and down, the white forks extend and retract, the wedgelets are hinged. The aim is a Complete Control suplex move kind of thing.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 am

This archive has become horribly out of date! Let's rectify that.

Here's my final entry into Thunder Underground: the lightweight Mini Urchin. It's an idea with some potential, I think, but due to that tournament collapsing I never really had the chance to find out. It also still has most of the weaknesses of a shell spinner. But I enjoy my Urchin series of robots very much.

Mini Urchin

Back when it was just a young urchin, before it had grown up to be the big, scary creature it is today, Angry Urchin was a little lightweight. It hadn't grown its full set of wheels yet, so it made do with just two, and used the big curlicue on its head to get itself back upright if it fell over.
(Yes, it's a 2WD shell spinner with a wedge. The self-righting spiral doesn't move with the shell and is made of flexible plastic.)

Stats: 3 Speed / 1 Traction / 1 Torque / 16 Weapon / 9 Armor
Sketchfab Render

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 am

After Thunder Underground, the next tournament I entered was The Cherry Bomb Classic IV. It didn't go well for me (or for Alex, in the end, to my dismay) but it was still a pretty cool tournament in the CBC style. And hey, we got Lil' Yeetums out of it! She went 3-3 but was pretty fun.

I refer to most of my robots as "it" because they're robots, but I make an exception for Lil' Yeetums because she's got so much personality. Someday soon I'll give her the re-render and update she deserves. In the meantime, I've reentered her into ROBOT4 in the featherweight sportsman category with slightly different stats (7 Speed / 6 Traction / 1 Torque / 8 Weapon / 8 Armor).

Lil' Yeetums (Featherweight)

6 Speed / 4 Traction / 1 Torque / 10 Weapon / 9 Armor
Sketchfab Render
Hint: try looking underneath!

Lil' Yeetums by attackfrog on Sketchfab
Config 1: ForksConfig 2: Plow
Image Image

A chonky rear-hinged flipper. She's got a weird and unlikely to work IRL unique flipper mechanism: it's magnetic, not pneumatic or spring-powered. A bank of capacitors builds up a large amount of electrical charge, which is then sent through a large electromagnet that repels another magnet attached to the flipper arm with a lot of force. The arm is then spring-loaded to return to its resting state, and in its resting state it's held in place (in a ground-scraping position) by magnetic attraction. If I fire the flipper while the capacitor bank isn't fully charged, it results in a lower-power flip.

Lil' Yeetums has two configurations, but both have the same stats.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:58 am

My second entry into CBC4 was Bluetooth. I wanted to do an undercutter with some fun extra features, but I didn't really end up using them. I should probably have been more courageous about using the alternate bars, but the fact that the robot was completely non-invertible in either of those configurations kept me from doing it. Bluetooth went 2-4 and won't be making a return appearance.

Bluetooth (Lightweight)

3 Speed / 2 Traction / 1 Torque / 16 Weapon / 8 Armor
Sketchfab Render
Main Config: Short Bar
Alt Config 1: Long BarAlt Config 2: Flails
Image Image

A horizontal spinner (not Alex's wacky side-hammer thing.) It's 4WD and invertible, unless it's using one of its alternate bars (pictured above.) It's here to wirelessly transmit kinetic energy to your robot's chassis.