Team Targeted

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Thu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm

As I finish up some more designs I guess I should just post them on here to keep em some place. My main concerns when making these designs was:

1. Everything must have a weapon. The days of Tank and Eurypterus are over. No boring rammers here (even though some get kinda close)
2. A variety of designs. I want vert and horz spinners, flippers, crushers, lifters, thwacks, etc. It's probably better to cover your bases rather than entering the same type of designs every tournament.

Current Team:

LW:

The Windmill

I'm bringing him back because, despite his championship, he's actually a fairly underperforming robot. Missing the playoffs in Aftermath with a poor sub .500 record, and going 1 and done in the playoffs in Armageddon with a near .500 record are not the hallmarks of a good robot. All he has to rest his hat on is one perfect season in Carnage, and though it was definitely a really good season, Windmill needs to be more than a one hit wonder.

A tri-bar structurally makes more sense than the quad bar, and still kinda fits the windmill theme (though more for the turbines than a classic windmill). Four wheels give him much more stability. Chamfered rear means that Philip might stop trying to use Rascal's forks to balance him on his flat back, lol. Dutch theme is out in full force.

Dr. P

This is my most worked on robot and that's why it's so painful to see it do so poorly. Yeah it made the playoffs twice in the last two seasons, but both times finished the season with a .500 record, and the thing has the most losses of any robot, ever. Even without the FF season, it's still one of the poorest performing robots.

Gone is the rotating turret. Ultimately, I feel as though turrets do not give a robot enough of an advantage to facilitate the loss of one weapon point. The chassis has become less defensive and reactive, and more offensive and proactive. Better wedge capabilities, and the ability to thwack definitely help. A future design will probably see a return to the four wheel drive, still with a short chassis. Same wedge shape, but hinged on the front of the chassis. Most likely with cambered wheels to help turning. Stats will have to change to make the thing a bit faster, most likely needs at least 7 speed to be competitive.

Missing the playoffs necessitated another upgrade. Gone are the plow and thwack mode. Dr. P was trying to do too much at once, without doing any little thing really well. It's a dedicated power hammer now. Big ol hinged wedge out front, four wheel drive again, a real power hammer now. Basically I want it to tank hits and wreck stuff with the hammer.

Anti-Body

While Dr. P didn't fair well in FRR, I still really liked the overall shape and design. It's flaw was probably trying to do too many separate things at once, instead of just doing one thing well. So now I'm separating the old form of Dr. P into two forms. Wedge and teeth are fine, so is the hammer head, and chassis width. Dr. P's new chassis is essentially the old one extended to accomodate another set of wheels, while the wedges are essentially the same between the forms. This one is a dedicated thwack, with the axehead tilted down to rest on the floor so I can thwack underneath stuff, and also thwack wedges more effectively. Teeth are removable. Axe tail is hinged so that it doesn't weigh down the front of the chassis.

MW:

Square Wave

Breaker Box is really cool and strong. There's not much to say about this design. It was super simple to make, and I was really happy when it came out. I always feel like the best designs are the ones where I never get hung up on any details, where it's just one smooth process from start to finish. The plow is more than sufficient to deal with just about anything, as the real life Breaker Box kinda shows.

Toe Chipper

More combot look-a-likes. Electric Boogaloo was the obvious inspiration here, and done because it's probably the most stable and efficient vertical spinner you can make. The shape of the chassis helps keep it balanced when turning or during a hit, and the sloped sides help absorb impacts from horizontal spinners way better than any other kind of vertical spinner (you can see this irl when EB fights Last Rites doesn't get absolutely destroyed on the first hit, though he still loses the match lol)

Automaton

This is my other robot with a shitty record, along with Dr. P, and I'm going to keep entering both of them until they're at least .500 lol. Automaton's sloped sides help it better deflect spinners, and I think his wedge is more efficient now, overall. Wheels at the rear help it to keep contact with the ground and drive off other wedges. Same front hinged flipper. Inspired by one of my favorite battlebots, Voltronic.

HW:

Snijmachine

Really surprised with how successful this redesign became. The color scheme definitely helps lol. This design was inspired by SHUTout, more than the LIGHTSout LW that started the OUT craze. SHUTout in Annihilation did an interesting thing by moving the disc forward in the chassis, to give it more reach and make the whole thing a little more maneuverable. Snijmachine means uhh cutting machine, I guess. Or slicer. It's one of those things butchers use to give you slices of meat, near as I can tell. I don't think I can really change this design at all to improve it, since it is really simple. And it's done well, so why change.

Punch Buggy

HW is my "steal designs from Steve" division. Punch Buggy was obviously stolen from Aggressive Blood Cell, mostly because ABC was probably over 10 years old at that point, and hadn't competed since Vengeance, so I wanted to see if it still works. Cambered wheels are obviously very cool. This is the only robot that breaks rule #1, since it doesn't have an active weapon, though thwacking makes it more interesting than a cut and dry rammer. Allows me to do some utility work with it. It's hard to change this design, but I'll probably work on some kind of wedge/plow attachment, maybe.

Adjudicator

Surprise drumbot! After trying more and more to get those hammers to work right + trying some diesector/klarinette setups, I just gave up on the hammers. They would be too ineffectual: they have a weird range and wouldn't get a big investment in weapon from me anyway. Instead I'm working in this drum/rammer design that will look at combining a a quick drive system with a moderately powered drum to flip stuff while chewing up wheels and wedges.

SHW:

Hephaestus

New Hephaestus. Changed to an hammer bot because, well, Hephaestus is a smith, and he uses a hammer. Actually at some point I'm going to scale this down to become Dr. P, because I like this a lot better than Dr. P's current design. Did away with the invertibility because I felt like it made the robot too vulnerable to spinners - the gap that the plow necessitated in order to achieve invertibility was an obvious target. With a full smooth surface plow, the risk is alleviated. While it's no longer invertible, it can still self-right. The trade off here is that the situations in which Dr. P was flipped, and the resulting advantage that the invertibility gave, was not comparable to the weakness to spinning weapons.

Rise Over Run

This guy went through so many redesigns before he's even fought a single match, though I'm really happy with the finished result. Went from SHW, to LW, back to SHW somehow. The design is a grabby lifty, which has been something I've wanted to do forever but was always the most annoying thing possible to CAD. The wedges are heavily inspired from the Diesector wedges, though the claws are a little more inspired by No Joy. He can actually use his wedge while up side down, since he can just lower the claws and raise the wedge, and they interlock such that R/R can still operate effectively when upside down. Also has little 'feet' underneath the lifter to help stabilize the robot so it doesn't tip over like Complete Control would sometimes do.

Parabolic Trajectory

I gave up on the full body flipper type deal, inspired by Diablo666's 40" and the previous version that I forgot the name of. Full on Toro style is probably just more efficient, anyway, if not as cool. Doing way better than I expected it to do in FRR.
Last edited by Siphai on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Thu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Reserve for old versions of designs.

Automaton through the ages

Dr. P through the ages

The Windmill through the ages

Rise Over Run rejected designs

Parabolic Trajectory rejected design

Old Hephaestus

Last edited by Siphai on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Team Targeted

Post by GF93 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Definitely a great selection of designs there, I must say. Interested to see how Windmill will do now that he's back, I've heard good things about it.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

MassimoV

Team Targeted

Post by MassimoV » Thu May 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Windmill and Automaton look ill.

Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Tue May 06, 2014 9:25 pm

New Dr. P

Fat wheels as usual. Wedge is on a big ol' hinge. No more plow or thwack or any of that crap because none of it worked in FRR lmao. I'll probably still use the old Dr. P chassis for something, probably new LW thwack type thing, or maybe a power flipper.

MassimoV

Team Targeted

Post by MassimoV » Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 pm

kickass

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Team Targeted

Post by GF93 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:01 pm

I like that! The shape reminds me a lot of Medusa 2000 from Robot Wars Series 4.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Badnik96

Team Targeted

Post by Badnik96 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm

thats badass
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Wed May 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Kody asked if the hammer might be too short

Of course, Windmill can hold his own with some shitty spark effects

playzooki

Team Targeted

Post by playzooki » Wed May 07, 2014 2:29 pm

WOAH! SPARKS! ACTION! :v:
nice cads

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Team Targeted

Post by NWOWWE » Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm

That's not shitty effects! That's just all Windmill can manage these days. :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Badnik96

Team Targeted

Post by Badnik96 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 pm

those sparks are still better than sparkey

...sorry, I'll show my self out. :v:
Last edited by Badnik96 on Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Ignition

Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Thu May 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Who said I'm not a lazy bastard that will reuse his own designs for something different. No one? Exactly.

Anti-Body.

Badnik96

Team Targeted

Post by Badnik96 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm curious to see how the wedge works inverted. How would the teeth retract?
Team Ignition

Siphai

Team Targeted

Post by Siphai » Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>May 8 2014, 07:50 PM</dd></dl><div>I'm curious to see how the wedge works inverted. How would the teeth retract?[/quote]Teeth are removable. It's gonna be something that depends on the opponent. Hammerhead is also adjustable so that it runs perpendicular to the ground. Thwack tail is hinged so that it doesn't weigh the wedge down.