SPARKEYS 2D CAD BOT SHOWCASE

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 pm

If you want to turn alphanumeric text sideways, you can always outline it with the Outline function (do you know which one that is?) Then, go to View... I think Flip/Rotate then.... then choose Rotate by 90 or 270 degrees.

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm

yes, i know what outline is lol :P

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I've been asked to review this machine, so...review it I shall :)

I'll skip over the picture quality, there's been enough said about that, although the side view makes the robot look like a long black bar which isn't something I see reflected in the top view.

The basic idea seems sound; there's two wheels, clearly large enough to let it run inverted, and some arms attached to them that seem large enough to contain motors to drive them, batteries to power the motors, and lots of electronic wizardry to control it all. I can't see any of it but naturally it'd be covered by armour, which is not stated but can be assumed to be some kind of metal and therefore opaque, so that's all good.
You may want to specify the motors and batteries though, it does make comparing robots a lot easier as you can't really tell relative goodness and badness completely just from a single picture. Specifying the armour would be good too :)

Now onto your weapon. Growing up in Great Britain, where firearms have been outlawed for most of my life so if I get shot by a gangster I can rest securely in the knowledge that the person firing the shot is breaking the law, I don't know too much about guns. I assume, using my somewhat patchy knowledge and the general appearance of the thing (from the top as the side, as I have said, looks like a long black bar), that your weapon is some sort of rifle or musket or some other gun. The label doesn't specify this, although 'Remington 870 Wingmaster' is probably referring to a type of firearm more than it refers to a caravan or a small aircraft, as I vaguely recall Remington is a manufacturer of killing devices.

Evidently from its use on a robot it must be a good gun; I'm sure when taking potshots at rabbits and Mexicans from rocking chairs on your porch it's a nice, solid metal-slug-propelling-device to arm yourself with and combined with enough moonshine can bring you hours of unsafe fun if used properly. However, every Robot Wars event there has ever been - a copy of the original American rules at http://members.toast.net/joerger/rules/RW94_rules.html backs me up on this - has specifically banned 'untethered projectiles' and 'explosives' which are both principles used in modern particle weaponry such as your Remington sharpshooter thing.
Ergo, I do not believe any tournament that has happened or is likely to happen would allow such a device to be used as a weapon, unless you were going to use it as an interestingly shaped club, and given its probable 'antique' value (being over 50 years old) it would likely be a very bad economic move to use it as a weapon and I personally would substitute some sort of actual thwacking arm, made from some kind of actual metal, or - if you're feeling adventurous - an actual active weapon in place of the antique Jerry-killing thing.

If you do use a weapon other than that then please be sure to describe it and specify it as with the armour and wheels :)

I shall finish this review on a surreal note by linking you to an image of one of my antweight robots with a rat's head stuck in it.

And now I shall go and get some aspirin.

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm

nobody said it was'nt a small thwack bot with a fiberglass gun shell LD

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Feb 11 2010&#44; 07:22 PM</dd></dl><div> nobody said it was'nt a small thwack bot with a fiberglass gun shell LD [/quote]
...fibreglass.

:huh:
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 pm

well, the gun body does not mater

actually, it's a modified gun that shoots a tetherd harpoon.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

It's too close to an X-shape to being an effective thwack. And the only reason being an X shape is bad in this case, is because two of those lengths are unarmed wheels w/axle. No go.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

I was unaware that Remington made pump-action harpoon guns, tethered or not.

Nevermind that ARC's insurance rates would skyrocket due to the possiblilty of a fan getting impaled by a stray shot.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:35 pm

It's ok only if it harpoons a Minion (the bot) fan.

*ducks*

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 pm

what's so bad about minion?

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

lol just not a fan of it.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Minion IS kind of a dated design.

...Even by earlier BB season standards.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>joeychevron</dt><dd>Feb 11 2010&#44; 07:19 PM</dd></dl><div> I've been asked to review this machine, so...review it I shall :)

I'll skip over the picture quality, there's been enough said about that, although the side view makes the robot look like a long black bar which isn't something I see reflected in the top view.

The basic idea seems sound; there's two wheels, clearly large enough to let it run inverted, and some arms attached to them that seem large enough to contain motors to drive them, batteries to power the motors, and lots of electronic wizardry to control it all. I can't see any of it but naturally it'd be covered by armour, which is not stated but can be assumed to be some kind of metal and therefore opaque, so that's all good.
You may want to specify the motors and batteries though, it does make comparing robots a lot easier as you can't really tell relative goodness and badness completely just from a single picture. Specifying the armour would be good too :)

Now onto your weapon. Growing up in Great Britain, where firearms have been outlawed for most of my life so if I get shot by a gangster I can rest securely in the knowledge that the person firing the shot is breaking the law, I don't know too much about guns. I assume, using my somewhat patchy knowledge and the general appearance of the thing (from the top as the side, as I have said, looks like a long black bar), that your weapon is some sort of rifle or musket or some other gun. The label doesn't specify this, although 'Remington 870 Wingmaster' is probably referring to a type of firearm more than it refers to a caravan or a small aircraft, as I vaguely recall Remington is a manufacturer of killing devices.

Evidently from its use on a robot it must be a good gun; I'm sure when taking potshots at rabbits and Mexicans from rocking chairs on your porch it's a nice, solid metal-slug-propelling-device to arm yourself with and combined with enough moonshine can bring you hours of unsafe fun if used properly. However, every Robot Wars event there has ever been - a copy of the original American rules at http://members.toast.net/joerger/rules/RW94_rules.html backs me up on this - has specifically banned 'untethered projectiles' and 'explosives' which are both principles used in modern particle weaponry such as your Remington sharpshooter thing.
Ergo, I do not believe any tournament that has happened or is likely to happen would allow such a device to be used as a weapon, unless you were going to use it as an interestingly shaped club, and given its probable 'antique' value (being over 50 years old) it would likely be a very bad economic move to use it as a weapon and I personally would substitute some sort of actual thwacking arm, made from some kind of actual metal, or - if you're feeling adventurous - an actual active weapon in place of the antique Jerry-killing thing.

If you do use a weapon other than that then please be sure to describe it and specify it as with the armour and wheels :)

I shall finish this review on a surreal note by linking you to an image of one of my antweight robots with a rat's head stuck in it.

And now I shall go and get some aspirin. [/quote]
yeah this owns

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 am

Just out of my own curiosity and a desire to explain what the fuck is going on here... How old are you Sparkey?

Sparkey989

Post by Sparkey989 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

okay, lets just say well, I'm.......11, there I said it. And I have ADHD witch I guess that explains why I D(id'nt)o'nt listen and am anoying, but at least I'm nice, I could be Dastompa, ya know? (you guys remember him, right?).