NFL Playoffs

Talk about anything relating to the "boob tube" or the "silver screen".
Shadywhtboy22

NFL Playoffs

Post by Shadywhtboy22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:43 am

Go Bears.

Grossman's half-and-half performance throughout the season was a trick, even Globetrotteresque-type playing. He's all gold for the playoffs. Speaking of gold, Robbie Gould is there to make extra breathing room.

Chicago is on a roll. White Sox won the 2005 World Series, we've got a superbowl trophy on it's way, and the Wolves are probably gonna win the AHL again. 2016 Olympics is a possibility for our future.

This Sunday, Bears over Saints. Consult your local booky.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

NFL Playoffs

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:54 am

I wouldn't be so sure. The Bears had to edge past a Seahawks team that is mediocre at best. If it hadn't been a home game for the Bears, they might have lost. But even if the Bears would get to the Superbowl, they would not beat the Pats or the Colts (though if it would be them vs. Pats, I would be cheering heavily for the Bears).
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Shadywhtboy22

NFL Playoffs

Post by Shadywhtboy22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Well, I think a bigger problem is just the press. You see, Chicago doesn't have any major public figures, like a TO or some such. Brian Urlacher has some notoriety, but isn't really nationally recognized (unless you guys think otherwise). Robbie Gould is likely getting there, because he's had some major plays. He's made NFL history already, being a rookie special teams player who has six TDs underneath him. But even with major talent like that, they're still not media darlings. And because of this, the Bears are suddenly the underdogs in this situation. Not only underdogs, but also seemingly the bad guys. What's this team of nobodys doing, having one of the best records in the NFL this season, after two decades of very little positivity, suddenly they're contenders for the Super Bowl championship? Yeah, the Bears are a thorn in a lot of sides in the media.

But, look at the facts.
-The Bears won three more games than the Saints
-The Bears scored more points than the Saints did
-The Bears have home field advantage, and the gametime weather forecast is looking snowy and cold, which has traditionally been detrimental to a dome team, such as the Saints

I'm sorry to be sounding like such a fanboy, but, it's just that Chicago didn't have much to talk about before the Sox. Not to mention I think I'm the only one on this board in the central time zone. I gots no friends.

NWOWWE

NFL Playoffs

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Hey, I'm a big White Sox fan, and was so before they won the World Series.

Their season record doesn't hold as much weight as other since they did have a pretty easy schedual. Yes this point has been beat to death by the media but it is true whether you want to believe it or not. The Chargers won several games more than the Pats and the Pats still beat them, so the season record is of little value other than seeding determination.

Now I'm not saying that the Bears have no chance at winning, but just that I think that the Saints are an overall better team and are playing better. Rex Grossman is not a great QB, probably only average at best, and the team is carried primarily on the defence, which isn't a bad thing. The 2000 Ravens rode their defence to a Super Bowl win with mediocre offence. The difference here is that the current Bears defence is not as good as that Ravens defence was.

The homefield advantage may have some weight behind it since the weather will be in the Bears favor, but you can't really count on that as being a "fact". "General trend" would be more accurate, and as such doesn't suddenly help make them the favorites or anything like that. Also we can look at what homefield advantage and a superior win total did for the Bears last season. What ever happened to that Kyle Orton guy anyway?

I think the Saints/Bears game will be fairly close, but I just don't think that they have what it takes to pull out the win here.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

NFL Playoffs

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Anyone but the Bears to win the Superbowl, and I'll be happy.

Toxic

NFL Playoffs

Post by Toxic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:52 pm

I have a feeling that the Saints are gunna beat the Bears on this one,due to the fact that the past couple of years, the underdog has always won it all and I just think their going to win it for that fact. That and as said above, Grossman is horribly over-rated/does not perform well under pressure.

As for the Colts and Pats,I think the Patriots have this mostly to the fact that the colts have been known to choke in big games.Their defense has gotten better,but I just think Manning is going to lose this for them.If it hadn't been for Vinateri(Crap,I know I slaughtered that name) last week at Baltimore,they would not be here right now.Also,Tom Brady and basically the whole patriot franchise knows how to win games in January.It should be close though.

As for the super bowl, I think the Saints have it for the reason I stated above about them.

Shadywhtboy22

NFL Playoffs

Post by Shadywhtboy22 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:02 pm

i won't say i told you so, man.

but i told you so, man.

edit: colts just gave the ol' reacharound to the patriots.

so, in two weeks, it'll be the Chicago Bears v.s. the Indianpolis Colts.

bears, by 80.

so i guess no one will pick a team then. i guess now that the evil bears beat the saints, heretofore referred to as "america's team," everyone stopped caring about football. you just became a statistic. it's those kinds of fans that keeps michael vick and terrell owens in the NFL. for shame.

succotash_54

NFL Playoffs

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Excuse moi? I became a statistic? I don't hail the Saints as America's team. I just fucking hate the Bears. GO COLTS!

Toxic

NFL Playoffs

Post by Toxic » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Well,there goes my theory right out the window....

As for the Super Bowl, I predict Houston by 7.

In all reality,I'm going with the Bears by 10.

succotash_54

NFL Playoffs

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:01 pm

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indianapolis Colts--29
Chicago Bears--17
Rating of Prince's performance of the halftime show--9 (and I'm no Prince fan, either)
Commercials that DIDN'T suck--3

There. The stats that cover every reason to watch the Superbowl.

Area51Escapee

NFL Playoffs

Post by Area51Escapee » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:28 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Feb 5 2007&#44; 03:01 AM</dd></dl><div> YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Indianapolis Colts--29
Chicago Bears--17
Rating of Prince's performance of the halftime show--9 (and I'm no Prince fan, either)
Commercials that DIDN'T suck--3

There. The stats that cover every reason to watch the Superbowl. [/quote]
I didn't see the halftime show. Not like I cared since I hate Prince.

Why does every have an orgasm over the Super Bowl commercials? In my opinion, there are only a couple each year that are actually funny.

Once again, I can't stand those people who will say "my football team will win this game blah blah blah". I hear so much shit over those two weeks that make me sick of the whole damn thing. I say shut up and enjoy the game. Overall, though, congrats to the Colts. They had a great season.

NWOWWE

NFL Playoffs

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 pm

I agree with Chris on the commericial thing. This year the commercials were dumb, and that was without being as flashy as they usually are.

Prince's performance... LAME&#33; God these Halftime shows have been declining. I thought the Stones last year was poor, but this was even less entertaining.

As far as the game itself... Cool, the Colts won. The game itself wasn't the most interesting, but it was a lot better than last years.

succotash_54

NFL Playoffs

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Prince actually showed that he had talent...and to perform songs that weren't his....class, man....that's class.

NWOWWE

NFL Playoffs

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Uhh... no. Just no.

I felt like changing the channel while he was butchering "Proud Mary" and the rest of the "performance" wasn't any better.

succotash_54

NFL Playoffs

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm

His performance of Proud Mary was in line with Ike And Tina's version, not CCR's, so it's not gonna be as good. But he did a good job with All Along The Watchtower. And as much Prince stuff as I've had to play on the weekends, I can safely say he's better live than he is in the studio. Although, I *DID* change the channel when I heard Purple Rain starting.

Of course, U2's performance back in '02 is still the best one I've ever seen. Even better than Paul McCartney's.