Christmas music watchtower

Get with the beats, the riffs, the harmony, or if you wanna go to hell, Phil Collins.
Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

I love Last Christmas (especially the Jimmy eat World version) but the thought of the Glee cast doing it makes me vomit internally.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:01 pm

The thought of Glee in general makes me vomit, but I digress.

As for Christmas music, I've been fairly happy with my stations line-up. Although going from a song like "Christmas Shoes" to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (Jackson 5 version), is too much of a mood swing for my liking.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 pm

"Gloria" by Michael W. Smith: A take on "Angels We Have Heard On High" with an emphasis on the GLOOOORRRRRIIIAAA chorus. And of course it's bad.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" by Susan Boyle featuring Amber Stassi: Britain's got talent, eh? Well, this is a good version. It almost seems token that Susan Boyle would do a version, but it's still good to listen to, so enjoy it.

"Santa Claus And His Old Lady" by Cheech And Chong: I originally listed this one as a song you don't know but should, but we're playing it now. It's great, funny, sophisticated. Good stuff.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:45 pm

"The Twelve Days Of Christmas" by John Denver And The Muppets: One of the best versions of this song because it combines some of the most beloved characters in TV history with a simple, little-frills rendition of a holiday classic. The order goes as follows:
A Partridge In A Pear Tree: John Denver (subsequent Muppets join in as they sing their part)
Two Turtle Doves: Fozzie Bear
Three French Hens: Gonzo The Great
Four Calling Birds: Robin The Frog (Kermit's Nephew)
Five Gold Rings: Miss Piggy
Six Geese A-Laying: Scooter the Gofer
Seven Swans A-Swimming: Lew Zealand
Eight Maids A-Milking: Rowlf the Dog
Nine Ladies Dancing: Dr. Bunson Honeydew and Beaker
Ten Lords A-Leaping: Statler and Waldorf
Eleven Pipers Piping: Beauregard the Janitor
Twelve Drummers Drumming: Kermit The Frog

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:13 pm

"Nuttin' For Christmas" by Stan Freberg: A same-year competitor to a few other versions. The most famous is by young child Barry Gordon. (no not Berry Gordy, Josh, sorry) A fun version, though the gulp in the middle of the verse is an obvious mistake that they just didn't feel like editing. The bit with the robber is cute, but really not necessary, though it does comically poke fun at the notion of Santa Claus' MO.

"All I Want For Christmas Is You 2010" by Mariah Carey: An updated remix of her classic holiday hit. Mostly the same as before, but doesn't really have the same power of instrumentation behind the original... less of a "wall of sound" to compare it in a Phil Spector kind of way. Still fun, but not too different from the original.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:46 pm

"Hallelujah Chorus" by the Boston Pops Orchestra: The "Hallelujah Chorus" is, in my humble opinion, the single greatest musical composition in the history of the music of man. We played this song three of my four years of high school for our Christmas concert. Even the atheists in our band loved playing this piece. Our arrangement was for concert band, in the key of D-Flat Major, common time. This version by the Boston Pops is about as moving as can be on commercial radio without having any vocals or actually playing on it yourself. Simply great.