Who will make it?

Get with the beats, the riffs, the harmony, or if you wanna go to hell, Phil Collins.
succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 pm

A couple things I want to preface with, as I feel it will make this discussion more fruitful.

1. The title is Who will make it, not who should make it. Keep that in mind.

2. A performer is not eligible for induction until 25 years after their first professional recording.

So, who's out there, not eligible yet, that you feel will be inducted, for better or for worse. My picks:

1. Madonna. I hate this bitch, but she's been influential as a pop artist, especially in the field of dance music, and as a female professional. She's got the hits and the influence. Also important to note is that she first recorded for Sire records, headed by Seymour Stein, who is highly influential with the induction selection board, and also an inductee himself. Other Sire artists who've been inducted: Ramones, Talking Heads, and Pretenders. Look for her to make it her first year of eligibility, which I think is either '08 or '09.

2. Nirvana. Dylan makes the good point of would they even be discussed as potentials if Cobain hadn't died. I say yes, as they were the forerunners of the Seattle grunge scene, ahead of Pearl Jam and the likes. Nirvana killed off the teeny-bop pop of the likes of the New Kids On The Block (which took almost ten years for it to resurface in the form of the Backstreet Boys), the hair metal of Poison-type bands, and the androgynous synth of the likes of Duran Duran. They ushered in a new movement that was solidified in pure rock, and made alternative rock a reality.

3. R.E.M. And they're eligible soon. Along with U2, they are recognized as the godfathers of the alternative music scene. U2's already in, and if Michael Stipe hasn't caused his band to lose too much cred with his antics of late, they're as good as in.

4. Duran Duran. The biggest of all the synth rock bands of the 80s, and they've been coming back, especially on the college rock scene. My magic 8 Ball says strong possibility.

5. Dave Matthews Band. Returned performing live to an art form that for awhile had been on the life support of the Grateful Dead. Without much pyromaniacal flare, the DMB just rocked along. Not a big fan myself, but I think they're likely.

6. Lenny Kravitz. Everything about him is retro from his style to his attire. He'll be recognized as a return-to-roots type of artist.

7. Bon Jovi. I don't see too many hair bands making it, especially since both Van Halen and KISS have been eligible for a few years now and I don't think either have made it to the actual official ballot that voters vote on. But I think Bon Jovi will make it.

8. Pearl Jam. The longer lasting, redux version of Nirvana, and they're still out there knocking out the rock

9. Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm really running out of things to say about these various acts. Suffice it to say, they definitely have a style all their own, and it's made them successful and influential.

10. Smashing Pumpkins. Pretty much the same comments as RHCP

11. No Doubt. This is an iffy call for me. Strong band, solid with success, style, and influence. Gwen's solo career is really the only thing that hinders their chances.

12. Art Of Noise. This is the toughest prediction that I wanna make for now. Not commercially huge, but they made sampling the art form that it is, and helped spread it along to become staples of the hip-hop/rap, modern R&B, and electronica worlds, as well as something that is frequently done in rock music today. It might not be enough for them, but I think it should be.

As an aside, I'll open this thread up to those currently eligible, have been overlooked, but are very likely due any day now. I'll name two here:

1. J. Geils Band. They've barely missed it the past couple years. They can't miss forever.

2. Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five. Like the J. Geils Band, they've been near misses the past two years. The fact that they're rap may hinder their chances, but two close calls already? Coupled with the fact that Miles Davis was inducted as a Performer this past year (instead of Early Influence, as I felt he should have been)? I think they'll make it eventually.

Area51Escapee

Who will make it?

Post by Area51Escapee » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:15 pm

The top 8 of those list are all fine with me. Sounds like they would probably make it. Most of the rest I haven't heard of. The Red Hot Chili Peppers I think are one of the most overrated bands of all time. I really dislike them. They might make it in but I don't think they deserve to.

Fish Of Doom

Who will make it?

Post by Fish Of Doom » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:00 am

Are we talking about which bands will inevitably get in? If so, i'll add some to your list.

Green Day - Basically this generation's Beatles.

Sound Garden - While not very long lived, they made their impact and had one of the greatest singers of the 90's

Rage Against The Machine - Sounded like nothing else at their time and definitely made a huge impact

Nine Inch Nails - One of the most influential bands of the last 15 years. Took the electronic aspect of the 80's, combined it with metal, and made it dark and dissonant.

Marylin Manson - Love him or hate him, you know who he is, and what his influence is on modern music

Dead Kennedies - Were some of the headliners of punk in the 80's and were very influential on all punk that came after them

Tool - They've been around since the 80's and are basically a new and darker version of King Crimson. All members are amazing at what they do and have a very distinguishable sound.

I'm sure all of those will eventually get in.

These are ones that I hope will get in, but I won't get my hopes up:

Deftones - Very underrated and have a very original sound.
At The Drive-In - Kind of broke up at their peak, but what albums they did release were like no other.
Cake - It almost depends on if we ever hear from them again.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Dylan, yeah, I mean the inevitable. Thanks for mentioning Green Day. For some reason, I just couldn't think of them. I'm thinking, "Who recorded American Idiot? Pearl Jam? No, not Pearl Jam, DAMMIT!"

Are you sure about Dead Kennedies though? Sure you're not confusing them for the 80s punk band, the Dead Milkmen? I know the Dead Milkmen have been around for a long time. Don't know the story of the Dead Kennedies though.

Marilyn Manson's a hard call for me. I think he's much like KISS, in that he's known more for his theatrics and outlandishness than he is for his music. Then again, I think KISS deserves induction too. KISS might make it just for the sheer fact of the KISS army, but I wouldn't call them anything sure. Maybe they'll be like Black Sabbath, inducted after they'd pretty much given up hope on ever making it.

I also feel I should add:

Oasis--called this generation's Beatles even more than Green Day. Talented too.

Huey Lewis And The News--what they have against them is a clean cutness. But a strong rockin' sound.

I also have a sneaking suspicion, though that as time progresses, the historians willl realize how bad those pop idols of the 80s were, and go for the simplistic rockers like Mellencamp, Huey & News, Miller, and if they're masochistic, Bryan Adams. Look at the past few years of induction. Up until 2006, there was usually a band/artist getting in the year they were first eligible: Prince, Police, AC/DC, Clash, Talking Heads, U2, Pretenders.......not this year though. 2006's inductees: Blondie (eligible first in 2004 or '05, not sure); Sex Pistols (2003); Lynyrd Skynrd (2000 or so, I think); Black Sabbath (1994) and Miles Davis (charter eligibility, 1986; though I think Davis should have been inducted as an Early Influence, not a performer); plus Non-Performers Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded a record label where a couple of those artists have already been inducted, too.

Also, the number of inductees inducted each year keeps shrinking, too. In 1986, there were 10 Performer inductees; 1987, 13. Now, only about 5-7. We'll see though.

Fish Of Doom

Who will make it?

Post by Fish Of Doom » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:03 pm

No, I mean the Dead Kennedies, with frontman Jello Biafra. Look them up on wikipedia or something. They were as much of a front runner of punk as the clash or the sex pistols.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Alright. Hadn't heard about them until the mid-90s. Problem though, is they've already got 3 major progenitors of punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Clash). Just how many more can/will they induct? Time will tell I guess.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:04 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Rock and Roll Hall of Fame begins thinking young

By DAVID HINCKLEY

As the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame prepares to elect its Class of 2007, it's making changes to address a bigger challenge: selling the Hall to people who didn't think it up in the first place.

Atlantic Records chief Ahmet Ertegun and the music industry guys who founded the Hall in 1985 were there for the beginning of rock `n' roll. Along with lone cowboys like Syd Nathan, Bobby Robinson, Hy Weiss, Art Rupe, the Bihari brothers and Sam Phillips, they shaped the music and the culture and now wanted to preserve and honour it.

The Hall still does that. It's a solid, admirable, critical role.

But the Hall also wants to showcase its industry and draw paying customers to its physical showplace in Cleveland.

That's been a tougher sell the last few years. The wave of attention for the induction of the pioneers has receded, and since the Hall inducts artists 25 years after their careers began, its new candidates are from the 80s, meaning potential new fans hail from a whole different generation.

So now the Hall must sell itself again, a point confirmed when it created a new, smaller nominating committee this year and chairman Jon Landau wrote to outgoing members, "We are particularly interested in recruiting fresh voices whose taste and love of music was formed more in the 80s rather than the 50s, 60s and 70s, as is the case with so many of us."

Ironically, the nine nominees for the Class of 2007, five of whom will be elected, don't suggest any radical shift yet.

The nominees include two sure shots: Van Halen and R.E.M.

Six other nominees are repeaters: Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Patti Smith, the Stooges, Joe Tex, Chic and the Dave Clark Five.

The most intriguing nominee is the earliest: the Ronettes. They've been eligible for years, but kept off the ballot largely by nominating committee member Phil Spector, who felt that as producer of the Ronettes' classic records, he was the real artist.

Since Spector is busy contesting a murder rap this year, the voters will get to make that call.

But if the Hall is serious about hip-hopping into the 80s, the most important signal it could send is to induct Flash and the Furious Five - because they're a rap group, and a lot of "rock" fans don't like rap no matter how universal it has become and how intertwined its roots and musicality are with rock's.

Whatever the rationale, Flash deserves it. So does Patti Smith. So, for that matter, do John Mellencamp and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, neither of whom is nominated this year. Critic Dave Marsh makes a good case for Al Kooper and Wayne Kramer at www.hofmag.com.

But that's another, ongoing discussion. When the Hall inducts the Class of 2007 at the Waldorf on March 12, it will be happy just to make some noise.

- Copyright &copy; 2006 MCT Information Services
[/quote]

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:57 am

I procrastinated posting this here, cuz I don't think most of you recognize the acts nominated. At least not most of them. But I'm bored, so what the hell.

So, we've got the nine nominees, five of whom will be inducted.

As for the actual focus of the article: the need to market younger.

I say, why? Ok, yeah the money issue. But yeesh, look at the new wave (no pun intended) of artists becoming eligible. And with so much of it scattered about, it's hard to tell who will actually make it.

Even more interesting was a fairly recent Rolling Stone article about high school kids getting more and more interested in the classic acts like Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull and the Beatles. So who knows? It could be possible to not succumb to the need to go younger and stay true to itself. Only time will tell, I guess.

But getting to this year's nine nominees....

R.E.M. I called it. One of the godfathers of alternative, all they've given us. I rank them as the most deserving act. Odds of induction: 98%

Van Halen They'll be the first hair metal band in the Hall Of Fame, ahead of the deserving, but not in KISS. They've been eligible for a couple years now, glad to see they're on this year, and stand a strong chance of making it. I hope they give trophies to both Roth and Hagar. It took both of them, really. Second most deserving act. Odds of induction: 95%

Patti Smith A strike-while-the-iron-is-hot mentality here. Influencing U2 and other big acts, as well as another founding act in punk. I rank them 4th in terms of deserving. Odds of induction: 75%

Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five We'll see. No doubt the influence they've had on rock and roll and music as a whole, but the fact that they themselves weren't rock may hinder it. There was some pretty ugly murmuring about Miles Davis being inducted as a Performer this past year, instead of as an Early Influence. How will that affect this year? Is there a backlash, or is the argument of they weren't rock and roll or even soul losing more and more ground? I'm not sure. The fact that they've been near misses the past couple years may be telling, but then again, neither Black Sabbath nor the Dells got in until their 10th nomination. Gene Pitney, his eighth. This is only number three for the Furious Five, but the need to market younger may trump that. Either way, I don't think that statement should be made this year. I rank them as 7th in terms of deserving, but I'll say the odds of induction are at about 60%

The Ronnettes Ooh, where to begin here. Phil Spector has kept them off the ballot in the past few years, huh? There IS some truth to his argument about him being the real artist. If you're not a close study of the pop music in '62 and '63, then most of the girl group songs ARE gonna sound the same. You won't be able to tell the Crystals from the Ronnettes from Darlene Love. However, it's also no secret of his tragic marriage and bitter divorce with Ronnettes' lead singer Veronica Bennett. The other major thing that distinguises the Ronettes from the other girl groups is that Ronnie herself has been called rock and roll's first sex kitten. Why that should have any bearing, I really don't know, but we'll see. I kind of hope they do, just because I like them, but I also realize they may not deserve it as much as some of the other nominees here. However, there's a good chance that voters may see this as the only chance to get them in. Phil was first taken in to custody back in.... '03 was it? And this is the first year he's been too busy to keep them off the ballot? He may have his troubles sewn up in time to return to blackballing them for next year. So, yeah, this may be the lone chance. Hard to guess. I put them at #6 in terms of deserving it, and if they'd induct six instead of only five, I'd happily call it the cut-off point. Odds of induction: equally likely, 50%

Joe Tex Not a big fan of his work. There are plenty of soul acts more deserving than him: Johnnie Taylor, the Chi-Lites, the Delfonics, the Stylistics, the Spinners, etc. His biggest hits are annoying too. "I Gotcha" sounds like something Mystikal would cut. "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)" is just a silly disco cut that should be forgotten. "Skinny Legs And All" is supposed to be funny. Supposed to be. Two of his good songs, though, are "Show Me" and "Hold What You've Got." One unique aspect of his records, though, was he was equal opportunity in his lyrical criticism and advice of relationships. What may act against him, though probably not, is that he later converted to Islam. How much the attitude against the Muslim faith will affect the process, I think very little, since it's a select group of industry insiders who do the voting. Lately, the Hall Of Fame tries to induct at least one soul act, and they surprised a lot of people with Percy Sledge in '05, that and the fact that they didn't induct a soul act last year may mean they want to rectify that. I place him 8th in deserving it. Odds of induction though: 45%

Dave Clark Five I love this group. They were pure energy. Yeah, they were clean cut and all, but before the Beatles could make "Helter Skelter" top the Who's "I Can See For Miles" as the loudest and wildest, the Who had to top the Dave Clark Five's "Anyway You Want It" at least for loudest. Granted, it's not a wild song, but it's a loud piece of pure energy. The fact they were clean cut is a hinderance though. But another aspect to look at is this past year. For '06, the Hall Of Fame inducted three acts that had serious public support for them and outcry against their not having been inducted before '06: Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the Sex Pistols. If this is any indication, these clean cut British lads stand a good chance, and may open the door for other acts with big public support to get in, like the Guess Who, Rush, and Alice Cooper. They are the third-most deserving act of the group, in my opinion, and I'd love to see them on stage performing together for the first time in over 30 years. I think all five are still alive: Dave Clark, Mike Smith, Lenny Davidson, Dennis Peyton, and Rick Huxley. Odds though, are at a mere 33%

The Stooges Their claim to fame: being Iggy Pop's old group. They also helped influence punk and a lot of 70's rock, with "Loose" being their best known song. I think they'll induct Iggy Pop as a soloist eventually and leave the Stooges in the cold. Still, if they can induct Sabbath instead of just waiting for Ozzy's solo eligibility, maybe. I find them the 5th most deserving act, but odds are only at 25%

Chic Since we've been doing retro Sundays at the radio station, I've become more familiar with Chic. My thoughts: NO&#33;&#33; NOOOOO&#33;&#33; FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; This group SUCKS. Furthermore, the Hall Of Fame hasn't been kind to disco acts of the 70s. Only the BeeGees are in, and they got in before the time that they would have been eligible IF they had ONLY been a disco act. Donna Summer is not in, KC And The Sunshine Band is not in, Tavares is not in, Barry White is not in, Sister Sledge is not in, etc. So I don't think Chic will either, thank goodness. They are the least deserving of it, and I place the odds at a paltry 10%.

So what do you guys think?

*all percentages for odds of induction were pulled straight outta my ass.

Shadywhtboy22

Who will make it?

Post by Shadywhtboy22 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:46 pm

I am totally for REM getting in. For me, REM is like one of those bands, where the only reason that people don't like because everyone else DOES like them. I feel the same way about RHCP. Stipe is incredibly talented.

Van Halen should get in too. Band politics aside, or whether your siding with Diamond Dave or Sammy (or do you not even know), they still made a lot of music that remains in it's own brand of popularity. And Eddie could outplay all of the lead guitarists in today's top 20.

I would also agree with the Stooges getting in. I've found them to be overlooked as far as punk influences go. Most compilations do include Search and Destroy, but they've got plenty of other great songs to choose from. If showmanship were a factor in nominations, Iggy Pop could get them in by himself.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:54 pm

What ho bitches. Did I call it or what?

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock bands Van Halen and R.E.M. have made the cut for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with punk poet Patti Smith, pioneering rappers Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and 1960s girl group the Ronettes, organizers said on Monday.

They will be honored at a black-tie ceremony in New York on March 12, the main fund-raiser for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland.

Inductees are chosen by music industry insiders from a short-list of acts who become eligible for consideration 25 years after their first recording. Those who did not make the cut were punk rock band the Stooges, English pop combo the Dave Clark Five, funk combo Chic, and late soul singer Joe Tex.

The inductees often perform, which would present a dilemma for Van Halen, the Los Angeles rock band with such hits as "Hot for Teacher" and "Why Can't This Be Love."

The band self-combusted in recent years. Dutch-born guitarist Eddie Van Halen and his drummer brother Alex are the only original members left after original singer David Lee Roth left in the mid 1980s, his replacement Sammy Hagar was fired in 1996, and bass player Michael Anthony quit last year and was replaced by Eddie's 15-year-old son Wolfgang.

R.E.M. emerged from the college rock scene in Athens, Georgia to enjoy mainstream success with songs such as "Losing My Religion" and "The One I Love."

R.E.M. is also out without its original drummer, Bill Berry, who quit amicably in 1997, but has occasionally reunited with his colleagues, singer Michael Stipe, bassist Mike Mills and guitarist Peter Buck.

Grandmaster Flash, born Joseph Saddler, pioneered hip-hop in the 1970s by transforming the record turntable into a musical instrument. The DJ recruited rappers to perform over his music, and thus was born the Furious Five -- Kid Creole, Cowboy, Melle Mel, Mr. Ness, and Raheim. Their tune "The Message," a gritty account of ghetto life, was a worldwide smash in 1982.

Smith became a major figure on the New York punk rock scene in the 1970s, thanks to such singles as "Hey Joe"/"Piss Factory" and her 1975 album "Horses," which mixed Beat poetry and primal rock.

The Ronettes, formed by Ronnie Spector with her sister Estelle Bennett and their cousin Nedra Talley, enjoyed huge success in the 1960s with such tunes as "Be My Baby" and "Baby I Love You."

The group was the beneficiary of producer Phil Spector's Wall of Sound technique, which overdubbed scores of musicians and instruments to create a massive roar. The Spectors were married in 1968, but divorced six years later.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 am

Too much to hope for?

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Ringo Starr to be honoured in Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame&nbsp;
By ANI

London, Sept 4 (ANI): Rocker Ringo Starr will finally receive an honour in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame next year for giving a string of solo hits.

The veteran rocker is the only member of the Fab Four who has not been incorporated in the esteemed ceremony and will finally receive the honour to be a part of it for giving solo hits such as Photograph, You're Sixteen and No No Song in the 1970s, reveal industry insiders.

The last one to receive the honour was late George Harrison, who got it in 2004, three years after his demise in 2001.

According to the experts, the former Beatles drummer is expected to be inducted into the prestigious ceremony held in New York in 2008.

"Ringo's work as a solo artist has never been taken as seriously as the other ex-Beatles but he's actually enjoyed a lot of success in his own right, particularly in America," Contactmusic quoted the source, as saying.

"It's hard to imagine, but there was even a point in the Seventies when his recordings were briefly outselling those of John (Lennon), George and Paul (MCCartney).

"Having your own place in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is generally considered to be one of the biggest honours a musician can have. Ringo is now among the favourites to be inducted next year." (ANI)[/quote]

I'm calling BS on this right now. Not because Ringo doesn't deserve it. He does. But this article's credibility is seriously in question. This source, said to be an "insider" in other articles I've looked at, could be anyone who works at the museum. It sounds like a bunch of scuttlebutt, and someone trying to get fans' hopes up. Another article I read said something about the great likelihood. In other words, nothing's been determined yet. And where's the rest of the ballot? Last year I found articles that listed all the nominees. I'm only seeing one potential's name on this. So it looks to be like a bunch of banana oil. And besides... "honours" may not mean actual induction. They could do a tribute to him at the ceremonies, or it could be an exhibit about him at the hall, which could be done without actually inducting him (they did this years ago for U2 before U2 became eligible). I want to see this, but so many things say don't get your hopes up yet.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:34 pm

And skepticism wins out, ladies and germs. The nominees are listed, and Ringo is not among them. I just want to point out the only reason I'm using MTV.com as a source is because they broke it out first.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>
Take a bow, Madonna, and ch-ch-check it out, Beastie Boys

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:23 pm

Ok, since I correctly predicted all five inductees last year, based on my percentages, I figured I'd try again this time. I don't feel as certain as I did last year, though I think four of them are pretty sound guesses.

1. Madonna--I fucking hate her music, her sense of professionalism, and even her recent quirks. But let's not kid ourselves either: she's the Juggernaut-bitch. Not Juggernaut, bitch&#33; like it was said in the X3 movie, but Juggernaut-bitch. This woman is unstoppable. She'll make it for two reasons: one, she's had more commercial success AND impact and influence than the other eight nominees COMBINED; two, she was first on Sire Records, founded by Seymour Stein. There's some notoriety in the higher realms of the Hall Of Fame hierarchy. Most known is Jann S. Wenner's nickname of "Jann The Dictator." Slightly less known is that "what Seymour wants, Seymour gets." And Seymour wants his artists in. So far, the Ramones, the Talking Heads, and the Pretenders are in. It'd take an act of God to keep her out, though if she didn't get in, I'd consider it irrefutable evidence that God exists. Odds of induction: 99.99%

2. Beastie Boys--When Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five got inducted last year, there was bellyaching from commonfolk music lovers that hip-hop had no place alongside rock's revered royalty. Well, the Beastie Boys have been the textbook example of hip-hop and rock 'n' roll amalgamation. And they're still a huge draw on the concert tour. Only possible hinderance is the presence of Afrika Bambaataa on the ballot. Voters may go for pioneer of hip-hop instead of epitome of rock meeting rap. But, I don't think it'll slow them down. Odds of induction: 85%

3. Leonard Cohen--He's a depressing and artistic poet (and writer), and Hall of Fame voters tend to eat up bohemian and poetic singer/songwriters as if they were Hot Wings on "All You Can Eat Night" at the Santa Monica Hooters. Odds of induction: 75%

4. John Cougar Mellencamp--In recent years, the Hall of Fame has been inducting more acts that are bit more on the blue-collar common man side of popularity, grit and dirt rock 'n' roll. Such acts include ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Van Halen. Now, John Cougar Mellencamp is such an act. He's played on Classic Rock stations, and even on my Retro shifts. A lot of popularity, and he has the common touch. Odds of induction: 66%

5. Dave Clark Five--Now we're into uncertain territory. A solid rock act from the '60's, but it's getting harder and harder to induct acts from the '60's. Plus, they were clean-cut and non-rebellious, and never got weird, unlike the Beatles or Rolling Stones. Still, after last year's supposed scandal, wherein the Dave Clark Five supposedly would have been inducted if some members' votes had been sent earlier and received before the deadline. After that, it's a little more than coincidence that they're on the ballot again, and I think certain voters will be more prompt in getting their votes postmarked in time. Odds of induction: 55%

6. Ventures--Again, '60's acts are getting harder and harder to induct. The Ventures are the quintessential surf rock band, with many hit albums over the years, and very influential to other up and coming guitarists over the years. Still, this may not be their year. Odds of induction: 45%

7. Chic--I said some pretty unflattering things about them last year, including and odds of induction percentage lower than their actual ratio among the nominees (they were one of nine nominees, and I put odds at one in ten). And it still perturbs me that so many call them funk/jazz fusion. C'mon people. Admit it: they were disco&#33; And the Hall of Fame hasn't been kind to disco acts. The only two inducted acts that were strongest as disco acts are the Bee Gees, who performed a complete gamut of styles over a career that lasted about 20 years, and Earth, Wind And Fire, who were pioneers for the new style of R&B and were in both R&B and disco. Nonetheless, a few things have changed in Niles Rodgers and co.'s favor. One, a repeat nomination. I believe this is now their fourth nomination. Granted, Gene Pitney needed eight, and both the Dells and Black Sabbath didn't make it until their tenth nomination, but with each nomination, the potential seems to get better. Also, with two disco acts on the ballot, the multiple nomination seems much more in Chic's favor this year. Their chances have quadrupled. Odds of induction: 40%

8. Afrika Bambaataa--A pioneer rap artist. And his best-known track even HAS "Rock" in its name: "Planet Rock." With Flash and the Five in, the door is opened for rap artists, and Afrika will be inducted eventually. But, Hall of Fame voters, in general, seem to vote for a variety of acts, and so I don't think most will vote for more than one hip-hop artist. And between this guy and the Beastie Boys, it's gonna be the Beastie Boys. Odds of induction: 35%

9. Donna Summer--When you think of disco divas, this woman springs first to mind, and rightfully so. About the only disco diva to have more than five Top 40 hits (on the pop charts, that is), and in fact, five of her many hits were #1 on the pop charts, this woman is a strong standout in the subgenre of disco, who helped pave the way for many female artists, as disco gave way to 80s dance music styles, and eventually to the R&B-electronica hybrid that exists now, and their subsequent heroines like Madonna, Jody Watley, Janet Jackson, Rihanna, etc. Still, you can't ignore the fact that a lot of those songs were lyrically intellectually insulting ("She Works Hard For The Money"), fantasy to the point of cheesy ("On The Radio"), or earsplittingly painful ("I Feel Love"). Her recent "comeback" hits of the past ten years notwithstanding, if she does make it in, it'll be because voters remembered the occasional tolerable song ("Heaven Knows"). Plus, as I mentioned, Hall of Fame voters seem to tend to vote for a variety of artists. With a fellow disco act on the ballot (Chic) and also a fellow strong female icon (Madonna), Donna really stands to be overlooked on this ballot, placing her least likely among the candidates. Odds of induction: 25%

Thoughts? Comments? Bueller? Bueller? Seriously folks, don't let me feel alone here, like I'm talking to myself.

Fish Of Doom

Who will make it?

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Leonard Cohen reminds me, do you happen to know if Tom Waits has been inducted yet?

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Not yet.