The Weathered Isle

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
Post Reply
User avatar
Madman
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 am

[font=papyrus]<big><big><big><big><big><big>The Weathered Isle</big></big></big></big></big></big>[/font]

<big><big>Update One: Day One, 21:00</big></big>

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny
<big>&</big>
<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

You wake up to the sound of waves lapping gently against the rotting timbers of an old dock. You can feel that you are lying on its weathered planks. When you open your eyes, the first thing that you see is a sky full of stars beyond counting. A pair of large moons hangs in the sky, one bone white, and the other rusty red. You blink once, twice, and then try to rise, but a wave of dizziness assaults you and you can't make it to your feet. You see the silhouettes of other people and, of those who you can make out, some appear very strange, as if they have tumbled out of another time or some truly exotic place. One of them speaks, but you do not understand the language. It isn't long before you realize that nothing here makes sense. Is this Earth? Shaking your head to clear it, you check on your person and notice that some of the things that you swore that you were carrying a moment ago are no longer there. In fact, more than the purely physical seems to be affected. Your thoughts seem...fuzzy and just 'off', almost as if they've been tampered with.

An uneasy weight nests itself at the top of your stomach, but you manage to get to your feet. There are structures nearby, though they look as if they've been abandoned for quite some time. Your sense of unreality builds. You can't help but wonder where you are, how you got here, and how you might escape. Perhaps you take an interest in the others - Just who are they?&#33; Maybe one of them knows something - and perhaps you don't.

However, it isn't long before you notice the glint of something polished under the soft light of the moons. In the middle of the abandoned village, looking like a very recent addition, is a well. Above it, suspended in the air, floats a large crimson crystal. There is something about it - some impulse that you feel - that makes you want to reach out and touch it.

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

You wake up to the sound of waves lapping gently against the rotting timbers of an old dock. You can feel that you are lying on its weathered planks. When you open your eyes, the first thing that you see is a sky full of stars beyond counting. A pair of large moons hangs in the sky, one bone white, and the other rusty red. You blink once, twice, and then rise to your feet. A wave of dizziness assaults you and forces you to one knee, but you push through it.

Ahead of you stretch the planks of a small pier that has clearly seen better days. You shake your head to clear it and gaze into the distance. The moonlight sparkles across the water's surface and, in the distance, a hazy landmass resolves itself. There are no lights anywhere, you realize, no voices, and no sounds to indicate any human presence. Your sense of unreality building and threatening to overcome you, you wonder if perhaps this is hell. Maybe purgatory, you think. You weren't all that bad a person, were you? You cross yourself for good measure.

Feeling as if you're being watched, you turn around, reaching for the familiar weight of your cutlass at your hip, but the venerable weapon is strangely absent. It is then that you notice the person standing in front of you. He's...you, and he twirls your sword absently. "Hello, Alonso," he says with a grin. "Looking for this?"
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Leonidas I

Leonidas stands up, and looks what he has on his body. Then he looks around.

The Monsterworks
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: no.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm

<big>Zhu Meichuo (Princess Changping)</big>

Meichuo lies there for a moment, just looking up at the stars, believing this to be some sort of dream. It's even kind of relaxing in a surreal way. That is, before she realizes how wretched she feels. She rises to her feet, staggering slightly, and her eyes dart around. The princess squints. Her eyesight isn't as poor as her sister's, but it's never been a strength.

She is surrounded by strange people. Most of them are westerners. One is Yi Sun-sin, her great-grandfather's brilliant Korean ally. Just the other day she was composing a poem about him. Another is Bodhidharma, a renowned monk of over a thousand years ago. She had read about his trials and philosophy on her journey to Xian's home. It's funny how your mind works that way in dreams, throwing things from your real life together at random. The westerners, however, she doesn't recognize. They must be inventions of her mind, and they are fanciful indeed. One of them speaks, and his words make no sense to her. She thinks that the words rise and fall like waves. Weird, she muses. Usually in dreams, you understand things even if they don't make sense.

A chill gust causes her robes to flutter and her empty sleeve to flap. Absently, she gathers it back in and a couple of strands of her carefully styled hair break loose. It feels all too real. Seeing that nobody in particular is watching her closely, the princess pinches herself. She pinches a second time for good measure. Nothing Her heart begins pounding. This can't be real&#33; There is a red crystal floating in the air over a well. It's like something out of a story&#33; Meichuo bites her tongue, just a little bit. Nothing again. It's real... The crystal is beautiful, and for some reason, she wants to touch it. She takes a couple of unsteady steps, looking around. Admiral Yi&#33; She realizes, he can definitely speak some Chinese&#33; She hurries over to him, almost skidding to a stop.

"Most honoured admiral and ally of my family," she begins, trying to speak slowly and clearly. Chinese isn't his first language, after all. "Might I be permitted to ask you a question?"

<hr />
<big>Alonso de Contreras</big>

Alonso takes an involuntary step back, eyes wide with alarm. "What sorcery is this&#33;?" he blurts. "Who are you?&#33; Where have you taken me?&#33;" He reaches for his pistol, tucked into his belt, and prepares to fight if need be.

User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6834
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Chamberlain gazed at the night sky, puzzled. It had been just shortly after midday when he had rested against the tree while on halt from the march. The sun had been quite bright, not to mention hot, in the sky. It was simply not possible that he had been asleep for hours. Someone, likely his brother Tom, would have roused him if they had noticed he was asleep. It did not take very long for him to become firmly convinced that he was no longer in Pennsylvania. Nor anywhere that made sense for that matter. The fact that there were now two moons in the sky was proof enough.

He became aware that he couldn't remember much beyond getting down to rest. They had been marching, but from where? To where? Was it just the disorientation from being in a wholly unknown land that was clouding his memory? He could be sure of nothing at the moment.

Presently the gleam of the crystal took his complete attention. It took a great deal of willpower to switch his gaze from it and take note that he was not alone. As it was, being in the middle of a war where he was from he was not in immediate hurry to reveal himself until he had a better idea of their intentions and origins.

He waited.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Alexjh
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Theodore finds himself looking around groggily to find himself among strangers on a dock he had never seen before. These were not the hills he had been hiking in mere moments before. His hand reaches for his winchester, just in case, but decides to deduce the nature of his new company before he jumps to any conclusions.

"I am Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States of America and I request that you all identify yourselves. If, like myself, you find yourself in this place without knowledge of the events that bought you here then let us what we can work out together. If you are however part of what bought me here, I demand an explanation."

As he looks around, he sees five others - three of whom seem to be orientals. Did they have something to do with this? But they looked just as confused as he felt by these matters. There was a middle aged man he had no recognition of in slightly strange clothes, but the fifth did seem familiar to him - a man with a rather magnificent moustache in Union Soldier Uniform. Addressing this man

"Excuse me sir, but from your garb you would seem to be an American, but more than that I feel I know your face. Have we met before?"

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Khutulun wakes up and immediately leaps to her feet. Scanning the scene, she finds herself among five others, none of whom seem familiar to her - they all have odd complexions, perhaps from far to the West like those traders who had traveled the Silk Road. There is an old man with strange features reaching for a strange crystal. She feels the impulse to touch the crystal herself, and not trusting this old man to do so cries "Stop, Khutulun, Princess of the Mongols Commands It&#33;"

She prepares to throw him to the ground if he doesn't cease his reach for the crystal

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Leonidas


User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6834
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Chamberlain blinked at the man who had addressed himself as president. 26th President? Lincoln was only the 16th President. What could possibly be going on?

He walked over to President Roosevelt and saluted.

"Col. Chamberlain, Commanding officer of the 20th Maine Regiment. Did you say you were 26th President? I was not aware of presidents beyond the current President, Lincoln."
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm

Three women, a man with a strange face, and a european who seemed to have yelled the word zeus at some point. Well, if nothing else, it was clear that he was the person who most deserved to be respected here, as probably the only christian. The women, at least, would be easy to convince, their sex making them weaker and more easily frightened anyway. He
Last edited by The_Angry_Goat on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‽ ROBOTICS (180 - 88 lifetime)

Ruination 4
Nick's Fuzzy Rules: 7-1
Glitch: 5-3
Hazardous Waste Removal: 6-2
Khnum: 4-4


ROBOT2
Hat Garage: 0-0
Lilian: 0-0
Blue Max: 0-0
Neuromancer: 0-0

"giant fucking dinosaur" is in my top 5 picks to win the nut ~V900
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm

<big><big>Update Two: Day One, 21:05</big></big>

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest)

Five other people see Leonidas walk up and fearlessly reach out for the crystal, but one does not trust him to do it. With Khutulun and Leonidas shouting at each other, Leonhard Euler, squinting as he attempts to recognize either figure, further attempts to play peacemaker and is summarily ignored by the two warriors, partially because neither understands him.

Theodora, however, understands one of the potential combatants, at least partially. He's a Spartan hoplite, and a rather high-ranking one, based upon his garb. His Greek is archaic, and some of what he says is lost upon her. However, she'd rather trust another Greek than a barbarian. In any event, this situation needs to be resolved. "Spartan, your bravery does justice to what I have heard of your kind," she announces, smoothly pulling out her dagger as she steps between the two and gazes at the crystal. It is...entrancing. It's also likely part of some test. Whether that be of God or some demon, she does not know yet. In a single, smooth motion, she flicks the dagger at the crystal, and it bounces off with a "ping&#33;"

The moment that the knife touches it, a flash pulses through the air and all present are jolted backwards. Khutulun and Leonidas shake their heads to clear their senses and the Spartan reaches for his sheathed sword instinctively. It is thankfully still present, like most of his armour, but unlike his apsis and shield.

However, after a couple of seconds, there is a second pulse, and regardless of language or intelligence, knowledge of their situation floods into the minds of the six figures present, unbidden and unstoppable. They are on an island. All have the vague idea that it is about 16 kilometers long, but they have only the vaguest idea of its shape and terrain except for a narrow sliver that each can picture perfectly. There are seven other crystals like this one scattered throughout its forests, fields, mountains, and deserts. There is another group of people in another set of ruins on the other side of the island. The six know that either they or the others must gather all of the crystals within a thirty day period starting in the morning. The ones who succeed will get to leave this place. The ones who fail... their fate is not elaborated upon.

As people adjust to the startling news, a final unwelcome thought bullies its way into their minds: one of them will receive an ability to track and locate these crystals and other valuable - a sort of radar, you think, if you're from a place and time that has such technology. The six must decide amongst themselves who will wield this power. Perhaps you should hurry. The other group may already be searching.

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert)

Upon realizing that this bizarre situation is not a dream as he suspected, Yi Sun-sin refrains from jumping to conclusions. He's never much believed in sorcery, but he can't entirely dismiss the possibility.

Then there is a girl. She is young and beautiful and looks utterly lost, dressed in the sort of clothing that only royals wear and speaking to him in Chinese in a voice that seems to be bravely hiding a great deal of alarm. He is startled to notice that she is missing an arm.

"Of course, my lady," he replies, trying not to mangle the foreign tongue too badly. "Though if this is about our current situation, I am just as confused as you and..."

At that precise moment, Theodore Roosevelt pipes up and delivers a speech that is fully understood by one man: Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, who, with a seasoned soldier's well-learned caution, has been attempting to lay low until the situation becomes clearer. Albert Camus is given cause to blink and concentrate on the semi-familiar language, perhaps feeling as if he is reliving some small slice of his New York fiasco all over again. Sun-sin and Meichuo turn to regard the strange man, who speaks with an air of authority, but they understand none of his words, and the Admiral is tentatively wary of this stranger potentially taking on a self-appointed leadership role.

Turning to the Colonel, Theodore puts a question to him: "Excuse me sir, but from your garb you would seem to be an American, but more than that I feel I know your face. Have we met before?"

Rather stunned by just about everything, but nonetheless a loyal and dutiful son of the Union, Joshua addresses this...26th? president with the respect due his office. "Col. Chamberlain, Commanding officer of the 20th Maine Regiment. Did you say you were 26th President? I was not aware of presidents beyond the current President, Lincoln."

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

"Now now, self," purrs the doppelganger, "You wouldn't want to mess up this beautiful face, would you?" With a flourish, he hands the sword back to Alonso. "You can have it back. I was just...keeping it safe for you, amigo." He smirks beneath his mustache as the real Alonso takes hold of the weapon. Immediately, his mind is flooded with knowledge of his situation, as if God himself had placed it there.

Gesturing towards a dilapidated hut, the replica Alonso continues. "You're in a game, Alonso, and the stakes are significant. There are two teams on that large island in the distance, six people each..." He sniffles for a moment. "And then there's you, my friend." The smirk grows into a near Cheshire grin. "You're the linchpin on which this hinge swings. You can choose to join either team, but doing so will exile one member of that team to this place - oh, his teammates will get to choose the poor bastard, not you. Your ego's big enough - and only six can win the game."

The doppelganger points to a firepit. With a snap of his fingers, a crackling bonfire appears there. This must be sorcery&#33; "One last bit of advice before I leave." Conjuring a torch out of thin air, he gestures down a small path in the distance. "You might want to walk down that way. One of the seven crystals might turn up."

The doppelganger turns to walk towards the dock, and it seems as if he's preparing to walk right off the edge of it. This may be Alonso's last opportunity to ask questions.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 pm

Edward decides to make himself known upon hearing about this... finder
‽ ROBOTICS (180 - 88 lifetime)

Ruination 4
Nick's Fuzzy Rules: 7-1
Glitch: 5-3
Hazardous Waste Removal: 6-2
Khnum: 4-4


ROBOT2
Hat Garage: 0-0
Lilian: 0-0
Blue Max: 0-0
Neuromancer: 0-0

"giant fucking dinosaur" is in my top 5 picks to win the nut ~V900
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MadBull
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by MadBull » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

[quick post to get myself going, may elaborate tomorrow]

Albert Camus observes the crystal. Whatever they'd do with it is ultimately meaningless. The universe would not care. It is up to us to construct a meaning in this absurd situation.

Bodhidharma is startled by the recent events. Who dares disturb his meditation?

He sits down, his gaze directed at the crystal, and resumes his mediation.

The Monsterworks
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: no.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm

<big>Meichuo</big>

Meichuo can't believe that through some trick of time or fate, or magic, that she is standing before what she believes are two legendary figures...though she finds herself beginning to doubt her initial supposition that the meditating figure is indeed Bodhidharma.

Much as she finds herself awed and slightly overwhelmed by...everything, the teenager decides to try to bridge the gap between East and West. She can see that the man with the big voice is as confused as the rest of them, despite his proud bearing. She has spent her entire life around such men, and they often mean well, in their own way. The princess shrugs as innocently as she can. "&#25105;&#19981;&#30693;&#36947;&#25105;&#20204;&#22312;&#21738;&#37324;," she assures the westerners, trying to speak slowly and clearly in the hope that one of them might speak a couple of words of Chinese. Well, why not just ask? she decides. Learning how to say "I don't speak (insert language)" is usually the first thing that a lot of people learn in a given language, besides maybe...like, "hello" and "thank you". Slow and formal, she reminds herself. "&#20320;&#20250;&#35828;&#20013;&#25991;&#21527;&#65311;"

<big>Alonso</big>

"So," Alonso asks the retreating figure, "are you an angel or a devil, and what will I receive for my troubles?" He glances back towards the path, ready to take the initiative. Rest can always come later, once he's in a stronger position.

Alexjh
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Addressing Chamberlain "My good man, I must admit a little confusion here - I know of a very well respected man by that name, and you do indeed look like him, but he is a good thirty years my senior, which you are most definitely not. What's more, I do not understand how you could believe the president to be Lincoln when I believe Mr Chamberlain to be alive right now within my presidency. Am I to believe that I am now living in some H. G. Wells story?"

"That being said, if you are somehow the man you claim, you have my support in taking this power, whatever it may be - you served your country with bravery and honour in your heart, and I am inclined to trust a man with such a record."

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
The man approaching the crystal apparently had stopped, so she relaxed slightly, but kept an eye on him. He seemed like a dangerous sort.

Khutulun is not sure what is going on here - another warrior speaks out - royalty perhaps from his garb? He speaks a language that she doesn't understand, but has a hint of familiarity to it from the travellers to her father's court, perhaps it was from a neighboring land?. One of those travellers had a distinctive foreign name... what was it? Perhaps they would know him? Ah... that was his name.

"Murco Palo?" she directs at no on in particular.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Yes, Theodora thinks, He definitely has the air of a barbarian king. She regards Edward keenly. His Latin is queer indeed, but at least he has been Christianized, and seems quite...zealous. She decides to respond, using the language that royal types are so enamoured of.

"Salve, friend. I am Theodora, Empress of Rome and consort of Justinian. I give thanks for the presence of a God-fearing man among us, especially when I fear that there is most unnatural sorcery about. I will gladly lend you my support and counsel. Pray tell, do you speak any other tongues? Perhaps we will be able to speak with these others. This task before us is hateful, but it seems that we have little choice but to undertake it for the time being."

However, before he can respond, the Eastern Barbarian woman - Theodora decides that she looks somewhat like a Hun, pipes up. "Murco Palo." The empress hasn't the slightest clue what it means, though it does have a distinctly European ring to it. Perhaps the girl - and indeed Theodora observes that she is little more despite her obvious physical prowess - is trying to communicate.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

Mole55
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Julie immediately shouted out "What have I done to deserve this island&#33;" after having spent 8 minutes silently freaking out. Perhaps the police had caught up to her, and she was here for the multiple convictions.
Last edited by Mole55 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply