Oddestsey V: The Seven Lords

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 am

TELLU AND CYRUS

The pair follow the instructions on the map given to them and after a while arrive at the location the officer had given them. It seems a fairly busy square, surrounded on one side by a building that appears to be made of the shell of an enormous crab, and on the other, a structure made of shimmering clear crystal. Between the two however is a mosaiced courtyard with a rather prominent obelisk in the center - partially because of it's huge size, but more so because it appears to be made of pure "white". It isn't glowing at all - the whiteness doesn't shine onto surrounding surfaces - but there is something about it that seems to feel like someone cut an obelisk shaped hole out of the city revealing a layer beneath.

A lot of people appear to approach the monolith and walk into it - vanishing in the process just as an equally heavy stream of traffic emerges from it. You note brief wisps of colour drifting through the white surfaces as they do so. This seems to be the doorway being described and the two walk up to it, and, feeling nervous step through.

The other side makes the Melded you know thus far seem positively mundane. The world is tinted fuschia and the colours hyper saturated while the air is filed with miriad tiny lights each seeming to possess its own sentience - huge beasts of indecipherable anatomy drift lazily through the sky while others phase through the walls, which are constantly shifting and changing their shapes and patterns and colours. When Cyrus tries to look through his aura senses, most beings look exactly the same as they already do - bar a few that look more like they probably came from Melded proper. Cyrus begins to realises what this place must be.. when Gods and Demons and things beyond mortal comprehension fall to Melded this is where they must go.

But now to find this Ooglox - there are many beings around here who might be able to provide info - though most are utterly alien in their forms, there are a few which seem to hold recognisable jobs like shall keepers and bouncers while a small number of "regular" Melded beings are also around.

SCARLETT
Scarlett sails above the city on her hoverboard and notices Bear in Mind standing outside the library with that Sea Wizard fellow - is he talking to Lissa? She also spots a few shops that might be of use as she goes by.

Further out though, Scarlett begins to see something of a shimmering barrier - far beyond anywhere the group has travelled before, but as she approaches it it seems like moving through treacle - she is slowed down to a crawl. Yet below she can see every day Meldedites move through it as if nothing was going on at all. Is this some part of the contest.

THE BEING
The Being launches itself in front of the item evacuation with a teleport, and halts their hands with an outstretched palm. The group are clearly confused by this, but far less confused at the machinery being hurled telekinetically at the doorway to block it. The Being is still trying to master these powers, but that should at least be enough that they'll struggle to get this equipment past it. As the enemies fall on it though, it realises that this odd array of beings stands little chance against him with his current abilities. He teleports in quick enough to clothesline one unfortunate Giant Gerbil Soldier before blasting a trio of Prawn-Knights into the wall knocking them out before using light-powers to dash up and cut them lights dropping them on to unsuspecting foes before being able to take out the rest in the darkness, with them unable to respond.

With these out the way, it is merely the small platoon of foes currently engaging DeMerfrall left in the building - and those appear to be running fast.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 am

"Sir Knight," shouts The Being, "Do you need my assistance with these few, or do you have them?"
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 am

THE BEING

"I have it, but if you wanted to join it it would speed up proceedings!"

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:54 pm

...a-am I... tripping?

Shaking away such thoughts, Tellu deigns to be at least somewhat courteous and attempt to ask one of the stall keepers about this... Ooglox.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:24 pm

TELLU AND CYRUS

Picking out one of the stall keepers that more resemble a being the two of them understand in so far as you can tell which part of it is the head, you are pointed to a building made of thousands of coloured cubes that seem to be constantly moving and phasing through one another. It's just down the street and you are told that Ooglox is the proprietor.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 pm

...okay. I'm not tripping. Which makes me think I should be more worried.

"Thank you. Let's go," Tellu mutters to Cyrus, wanting to move over to the cube building and anxious to get this over and done with as quickly as possible.

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:50 am

"With pleasure," The Being replies. It decides to teleport into the fray and speed things up a little.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:36 am

TELLU AND CYRUS

The two proceed to the establishment in question and wait until the expanding and contracting door gets large enough and then jump through to find themselves in something that seems to be part way between sleazy bar and bathhouse if neither of those concepts felt particularly interested in gravity. But wrapped up at one end of the building is a creature you suspect must be Ooglox. It resembles a huge worm as thick as a human torso and coiled into a ball that you suspect would be the best part of a kilometer long if it unfurled. It is coloured with repeated rainbows going down it's length, and you realise that those colours and shifting in waves ever so slowly.

It doesn't even bother to uncoil as you approach, but it is sort of speaking to you - though you suddenly realise what is off about it - it is psychically inserting the memory of having spoken into your mind rather than actually ever having done so.

"The Arbiters visit the Many who are Ooglox. They want information? The Many who are Ooglox are willing to trade for such things. Nothing you don't have. One question for one memory of your own - this is the price."

THE BEING
The Being teleports into the middle of the fray and between him and DeMerfrall, your foes stand no chance at all and are smashed apart. Watching the Knight wield the sword gives you an idea of what you would face should the arbiters ever decide to try and take him down - his movements are all very measured and delivered with extreme prejudice but watching the Sword in action gives most concern - it seems to pay little heed to magic at all - bursting through magical shields as if they were egg shells and meeting it's hilt-gem to the eyes of certain combatants sends them cowering or fleeing or one case into the foetal position.

But the Being is no slouch either, and between the various powers realises how quickly it is capable of decimating a squad this size - it can position itself anywhere on the battlefield at any time - shatter defenses using the Force and use DeMerfrall's own considerable strength to break foes. The Being is not a foe to take lightly and before long a pile of defeated foes lies at the feet of the two. The opportunity to loot them for weapons and armour is there - but there were so many of them you'd probably better decide what things you are looking for for the most part although you do quickly rack up:

25,000 credits
5 hipflasks of healing gin
2 magic rings of unknown properties
A Belt of Basketball Mastery (including 2x improved jumping relative to your current ability)
A pair of shades of coolness (you can take a natural 20 on one roll once, and natural 15s on two more)
A pair of socks of ultimate comfort. (They don't do anything specific, but are REALLY comfortable)

DeMerfrall ponders for a moment before speaking

"Thankyou for this friend - you have done a great service to both me and the city by helping me stop this evil. The power of the Golden Man is broken. But I am troubled by what should happen next - I was captured and used as a weapon by a Monster who sought to control the world, and can I truly be worthy of holding that power myself if I were so easily snared? As such, I gift you my life - once the nature of all the combatants has been ascertained and any evil routed, my life will be in your hands. If you believe that I am not as worthy as others I shall not stand in their way, and aid them if you so wish it. Equally, should you deem me worthy, I will fight for that place.

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:17 am

The Being bows its head in acknowledgement of the knight's words and in deference. "Thank you, Sir DeMerfrall, and know that I will make that decision when the time comes with the utmost care and consideration."

The Being decides to pick the second least likely target for looting and take whatever it finds. Turning to the knight, it announces glumly, "as arbiters, we are on the clock. Someone must die or further cruel punishments will be unleashed upon this world." Tilting its head to one side, the Being inquires, "Who remaining among the contestants has done significant ill? I trust your judgement on this matter without reservation."
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Tellu stands stock still. 'One question for one memory of your own...'

A particular memory stands out. One of the police officers from before, stating to be careful about anything she agrees to.

"Do we get to decide what memory to give you?" says Tellu at last, frowning.

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:28 pm

THE BEING

The Knight's face is grave as he considers.

"This is not a light decision you ask of me, and perhaps I myself might be considered for this. In truth I don't even know much of these "Lissa" and "Sasha" I've heard mentioned, and know nothing of the seventh or the being who replaced Axel. I would have to suggest the Volgorthan who has surely caused the most damage to this city.

TELLU AND CYRUS

"That is not the process the Many that are Ooglox use. A memory of suitable value will be selected for any question. None will be removed that would redefine you. But they will have emotional value to them - for lesser questions ones may not remember them consciously anyway. For valuable information... the cost may be higher."

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Now that, Tellu doesn't fancy at all. She is not entirely sure she can trust this thing, as there are a lot of memories that define her. Like what happened to the Tau Nebula... her previous borderline obsession with Eudial almost to the point of - well, she would rather not say... the feelings that were born and borne with her with the new relationships she forged in this world, however fleeting, such as the ones with Scarlett, Richfield, Cyrus (Tellu eyes him for a moment, nervously)... plus all the information she had attained already, what could this creature do... or undo, with them?

Tellu decides to message Cyrus quickly, so the thing can't hear them.

{"How should we handle this? I'm sorry if this apprehensiveness displeases you, but I'm not keen on having my mind scoured."}

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:26 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Alexjh</dt><dd>Mar 23 2018, 02:30 PM</dd></dl><div>BEAR IN MIND

Lissa pauses for a moment before continuing her response.

"I... errr.... I've been studying and think there is a way to get a competitor out of it alive.... in theory at least. The details are fairly complicated but I think.... I think a device can be built that will trick the competition to reading someone as dead for long enough to eliminate them from the contest. There are two sizable catches though - firstly you'd have to either persuade someone to enter it or restrain them in it some other way.

The bigger problem though is there is a 1 in 4 chance it'll kill them... or me... for real... Though if we put multiple people in it at once we could guarantee that most would survive"

(OOC: Will wait a bit for a Cyrus post before updating Tellu)[/quote]"Alright&#33; Are you willing to help me accomplish that? Can we lessen the risk even more maybe?"

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 am

BEAR IN MIND

"Unfortunately not - the risk it part of what makes it work."

She goes on to explain the specifics a little - enough to have the general gist anyway. There is certain demon dimension ruled by extra-dimensional creatures called "The Four Pronged Ones". They have had cults now and again, and are fairly popular for them as they only accept one in four sacrifices which is a lot easier on the sacrificing budget than most creatures from the void are. The idea is that each sacrifice must be of four beings of a rough type. So in this case, they'd need to put 4 combatants through, though an arbiter would do if you were unable to gather enough combatants.

On going through the portal that would be summoned, all four are atomised, but after a while long enough for the Castle to consider them dead, the portal will rematerialise three of them, now hopefully free of the contest.

But there are a few caveats.

All four may go through at once, or separately, but the entire thing must take place within one day or the Four Pronged Ones will invade our dimension. If they all go through at once, there is an equal chance that any one of them may be disintegrated. If however they go through separately the odds shift. The first to go through has a 3:1 chance but if they are atomised the next 3 may go through freely. But if they survive the odds decrease to 2:1, then 1:1 and if it reaches the last one, there is no choice - they are guaranteed to die.

What's more, the ritual can only be carried out once - trying to do it a second time in close succession might invite the Four Pronged Ones breaching our dimension.
Last edited by Alexjh on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mole55

Post by Mole55 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:05 am

"And FUCK&#33; YOU&#33;" Quinn said, whilst leaving the castle.

She didn't know how long she'd been in there. Her communicator wouldn't work in there, and she'd managed to get lost.

Anyway, enough of that. She got the communicator out and sent a message:

"Sorry, I got lost in the castle. What's everyone doing?"