CBC4 HW Semifinals: (1) Glacier III vs (4) Xtreme pneumatiX

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

CBC4 HW Semifinals: (1) Glacier III vs (4) Xtreme pneumatiX

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Glacier III: 1 speed / 1 traction / 1 torque / 18 weapon (+2 shields) / 11 armour
vs.
Xtreme pneumatiX: 7 speed / 6 traction / 2 torque / 3 weapon / 12 armour

I do enough damage that he probably doesn't want to do two things:

1) Attempt to smother me all fight long.
2) Wantonly fire the flipper.

He's going to try chucking me down the pit or, failing that, into the murdersaw. My challenge is simple: I do quite a bit of damage. Just keep surviving and dealing it. The fact that I'm a huge slowass 360 spinner also helps. I'll be hitting largely the same spot on him and the first hit will create tears, allowing me corner damage on subsequent hits there. The random bits and nubbins sticking up from his seemingly smooth wedge also allow me free corner damage. 5 damage hurts. 5 damage warps flippers and tightly-fitted chassis panels and knocks out sensitive electronics. His ability to push and flip me is also very limited. He pushes Glacier's double weight with one speed, allowing me to actually escape his wedge with my molasses drivetrain. Being impossible to high-center, invertible, having arms to pry myself loose, and being able to vary my height helps as well. As for flipping? He flips me 1.5 feet under optimal conditions, and I have a huge footprint and gyroscopic stability to counter that.

The shape of the arena means that he can't box rush. Raise the shields a little so that the bottom of my ring contacts his flipper. Move out as fast as I can (lol) so that I don't get punted back into those pushy house robots. I'll also suffer a lot less recoil and transfer my kinetic energy into him more effectively than he'll be used to due to my double weight.

Following hits, lower my shields while I spin back up and hunker low if needed. If I get lucky and his wedge loses out, push forward for the appearance of aggression. In most cases, though, let him wedge under the shields if he doesn't seem to be risking a flip. Then, raise them when he's under, dropping my ring onto his wedge for 4/5 damage. If he's using his flipper more aggressively, don't bother with that tactic. Just raise the shields as soon as I'm up tae speed. Mix in this approach occasionally when he's not flipping too. Don't be afraid to be aggressive and move forward if I have the opportunity. If this goes to the judges, that could deny him an aggression sweep. However, be wary of attempts to steer the fight towards the pit and hazards. With my shields, I don't have to worry about buying myself spin up time like most spinners do. Prioritize lumbering away from the pit whenever I've knocked him away or just escaped his wedge. If I need to, raise the shields while wedged to punt myself free if the angle is right to carry me away from the pit. Keep dishing out damage. Bait and feint aggressive moves with both my drivetrain and raising/lowering the shields and tear away at him until he dies.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Re: CBC4 HW Semifinals: (1) Glacier III vs (4) Xtreme pneumatiX

Post by Botomatic1000 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Bog standard config,

Just go for him, right off the gate, but not at too speed, I’ll let him get a little bit of the way first so he’s not huddled up in the corner of the arena when I reach him, he’ll be wasting many valuable seconds if he just camps there in the corner, making it more likely for me to survive the full three minutes. Once I’ve reached him, the main goal of this match is simple, get under him, good and properly, carry him over to that low wall and toss him out ASAP. I’m going to be quite reserved with my flips, unlike the last time, tactical, but still aggressive, making sure to get him out, nice and early, without much fuss. Don’t flip him as soon as I just get my forks under, no, flip him when he’s properly up on my wedge, he won’t be getting away anytime soon his relatively high ground clearance means he’s only ever going to be grinding against my low, sleek wedge with his flat teeth, rather than biting in. If for some reason it fails first time, then the second time should be easier, his ground clearance when upside down us tremendously high, I can get under him without him even really hitting me, get under him good and proper, then toss him out with relative ease. The arena is incredibly compact, all things considered, I can smother him nicely with relative ease, lots of walks to slow him down and hazards to knock him up a bit, though of course I’m just focussing on that OOTA most of all. I’m twelve armour all-over, I can take more than a good knocking from his blade, with none of the repercussions, shock damage may bring, I could control the more bitey 16 weapon on Drew’s bot for the full three minutes, Alex’s is no different, with even less bite though. If for some reason, the flipper breaks, then all is not lost, I can push him over to that log chute, hitting a button, hopefully along the way and just pit him with ease, even without a weapon, I’m a decently quick, tough, sleek, hard to bite wedge that can push him around the place with little trouble whatsoever. He has only 1 drive all around, he is simply not fast enough to evade anything, making the big, oafish bot easy to bully when you have a high armour rating like mine, leaving I’ll be bearing him thoroughly on control and aggression if this does go the full three minutes. 30 seconds is a lot of time to easily get him down that pit! Always keep facing him, wedged first, always remaining fast and aggressive at all times, only flipping when he is up high on my wedge, lowering the chances of him hitting my arm drastically.

Best of luck once again Alex.