Ori vs Black Dog (CBC4 FW Semifinals)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Ori vs Black Dog (CBC4 FW Semifinals)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Aww yea Gothiq’s back, it’s pipe organ time!

STATS:
Ori 7/7/2/4/10 (+2 armor)
Black Dog: 6/4/1/14/5 (+1 armor)

CONFIGS: Going forks config.

STRATEGY:
I’m sure we’ll get the typical Laz rant about how his robot is super fast and immune to smothering and high-centering and he can easily chain hits as soon as he flips me.

Okay, cool. Yeah, he stands a decent chance of getting a bodyshot if he can get a solid hit on me… But it’s not a when in this matchup, it’s legitimately an IF. My forks are a HARD counter to Black Dog’s wedge: I have enough reach that before his forks reach my wedge his drum reaches my forks and glances harmlessly off. Both sets of forks are so narrow the chances of them actually meeting are super-slim, and even if they do it’s 50-50 at best for him. He can go “angle in with my lower speed and worse control lol”, but… where? His drum’s so wide that he can’t really avoid it contacting my fork, unless he gets ALL the way to my side, where it might… hit the side of my wedge, which is also sloped, and still not be able to get under and launch me.

The main threat is shock damage. I need to limit how many full-power hits I take by being SUPER aggressive and in his face and using all those glancing blows to keep his drum at low speed – but keep closing speeds low. If he’s backing up pursue, if he’s advancing stop or back off slightly – especially if he’s running inverted (or spinning downward with the forks out to mess with me). Spinning downward I wanna make sure he wastes as much KE as possible hitting the forks and doesn’t get enough bite to do more than glance off the wedge. It’s fairly steep so it shouldn’t be that easy to climb up with his weapon. Watch out for gyro flip maneuvers, and back off and let him flop into awkward positions.

Keep the pressure on but use the flipper as little as possible: there’s little benefit against BD and it leaves me open. Only use it if I can toss him onto the pipe organ, and if possible push him on it instead, but USE THAT HAZARD. 4 damage vs baseplate or if I’m lucky a wheel could cripple him. Pinning is hard, but keep pushing him and don’t give him any space to spin up. If his drum’s only hitting at like 12 power because it’s slowed down, there goes his shock damage win condition. He can back off my wedge but immediately ram his weapon again if he does.

If I do get flipped, try to juke away from the inevitable attempt to chain and THEN self-right – take a hit with my front if necessary since a bent-downward fork still sort of does its job. If my forks are bent upward, go for his sides more to force gyrodancing.

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Re: Ori vs Black Dog (CBC4 FW Semifinals)

Post by Madman » Sun May 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Me: 6/4/1/14/5 (+1 drum)
Him: 7/7/2/3/10 (+2 wedge)

He's running forks, which means he'll try to outreach, smother, and bring me to the hazards. He's relying on his marginally higher top speed and control edge to completely negate the fact that one good hit anywhere but his wedge will put him to sleep. He has a lot less room for error than I do.

1) He doesn't have enough of a speed edge to reliably smother me like he needs to. I'm not some 4/2 deathspinner. 9 vs 8 speed units is legitimately negligible.

2) Those forks are very long and, since they're angled and static, only the very 'forward' point of their squared-off tips is actually groundscraping.

3) His flipper's vulnerable and he knows it. If he's hesitant to flip or does the 'only when he's spun down' thing, I literally have nothing to fear.

4) He pushes much slower than I drive and it's extremely hard to high-end my design. Escaping his wedge should be elementary and offer multiple opportunities for Black Dog's specialty: countering him via hooking and jackknifing strategies.

While he'll tout that 100% control ratio (ignoring his dubious, forward-heavy weight distribution), it doesn't mean he can control exactly how and where every contact between us takes place. He controls himself. He can't speed up his reaction time. He can't predict exactly what I'll do and when I'll do it. As good as he is, he can't predict where every gyro lift and ricochet will take me (and him) with 100% precision. He needs order and predictability, so... be chaos.

First thing's first: don't give him the easy head-to-head he wants. It's sideways start time. If I see him starting to arc around my front to h2h my drum, charge and catch him partway through his maneuver on the outside of his forks. If he barrels in with me perpendicular to him, reverse and then punch it forward into the outside of his forks. If I'm short enough to fit between forks while sideways, wait until JUST before contact and gun it into the inside of his other fork. One of my wedgelets should get under.

His forks win? I get pushed around a bit or maybe flipped and just gyro self-right. Mine win? His get bent and lose effectiveness. Once I bend one, relentlessly pick on it until I establish a pattern. Then go for the other. After significant hits, follow up and chain. He can be fast and invertible all he wants, but it doesn't matter when you're in the air or bouncing. Watch some Aftershock fights.

If I need time to spin up, run away in reverse. Drive within my control ratio by prioritizing linear movements. If I'm wedged and he's not flipping, alternate hooking off traditionally, jackknifing into his side as shown here from this fight, and just reversing hard over a fork before charging into it from the side. Obviously avoid hazards. They hurt. I hurt him more, though.

GL
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49