Ori vs Grand Vizier (again) (CBC FW Elim)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Ori vs Grand Vizier (again) (CBC FW Elim)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 pm

STATS:

Ori 7/7/2/4/10 (+2 front wedge)
Grand Vizier 6/4/1/12/7

CONFIGS: Forks config please.

STRATEGY:
This is a rematch. Last time it was REALLY close, and if weren’t for the 5-0 damage loss I’d have had him. So let’s use what worked from last time and change what didn’t.

“There’s not much actual chassis near the ground on Vizier. I know I can’t outreach his forks. However, (a) they may contact his drum with a glancing blow that pops him up and doesn’t launch me, (b) if I do get wedged they present a very narrow area for him to actually catch, esp as his teeth are thin blades that do NOT extend the full width of his drum, and (c) they’re at a slight outward angle and if I can get them behind the arrowhead tips and under the tube parts of his forks, I can get under him.

Be as aggressive as possible, staying in his face and avoiding giving him a chance to do long run-ups to get much bite. Keep circling him and trying to either get around his forks or force him to turn so much he tips sideways with his tall body and narrow front. Try to make him back himself into a wall with the reversing turns verts love doing to avoid gyro effects.”

I know I’m going to take some hits. However, my front wedge takes almost no damage from his weapon; what’s important is making sure he doesn’t hit my chassis or wheels. If I get flipped over retreat, self-right, and avoid contact until my flipper retracts. Worst-case take an inverted hit on my wedge.”

Most of this still applies, BUT: Open by reversing into the pit door. Staying in his face will be more effective since this arena has only half the floorspace, but the central hazard also makes it easier for me to avoid contact when necessary. Speaking of which, I don’t wanna let this go 3 minutes. Try to strand him on the pistons for a few seconds, and whenever I have an opening or would need to back off anyway due to flipper retraction, HIT THE PIT DOOR. Once one is open, focus on trying to push him down – if the open door’s on the wrong side, shove him into the closed one so hopefully that opens too.

Use the flipper sparingly as it gives him a chance to damage it; when possible let the hazards do the flipping for me. Don’t try to flip him into the pit unless he’s right on the edge: just shove. His shape’s too awkward to OOTA over a wall that needs a near-optimal flip, but pushing him down a hole is an instant win for me. Be careful not to drive down myself if he J-hooks off.

GL HF

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Re: Ori vs Grand Vizier (again) (CBC FW Elim)

Post by NWOWWE » Sun May 10, 2020 4:39 pm

-Not too many gimmicks going on in this arena. The center furnace at least takes an immediate box rush from him off the table.

-Start out driving towards the furnace and try and get myself facing the direction he tries to drive around. He isn't too much faster than I am so he shouldn't be able to speed around it before I can at least get myself decently in position.

-The plan will be to try and catch him has he has to bank around the furnace so that he can't get lined up perfectly. It will maximize the potential for me to get my forks under him and start juggling him around with the drum. At worst he at least should be poorly positioned to try and wedge me and I can try to reposition myself better.

-The ideal course of action (besides spending a lot of time smacking him with my drum) will be to try and work him to the hazards. Between my drum and the hazards I have a good chance at keeping him off balance and knocked around (and thus not slamming me around). Also, while I can't do much damage to the front of the bot, the rest of him is more vulnerable to getting beat up by my weapon and the hazards.

-So as long as things are going fairly smoothly, try and stay at least moderately proactive. Switch to a more defensive approach with hugging walls when possible if I'm having a rough time getting my drum into play, but always try to keep my drum pointed at him no matter what.

Good Luck!
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.