Magnolia Pico vs Broken Tooth

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Magnolia Pico vs Broken Tooth

Post by Venice Queen » Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Magnolia: 4 Speed // 2 Traction // 1 Torque // 16 Weapon // 9 Armour - HAMMER

Broken Tooth: 6 / Traction: 4 / Torque: 1 / Weapon: 13 (1 of weapon armor bonus to arm) / Armor: 6 (+2 weapon assembly) - forks, rear wedge on

Magnolia's standard movement is centipede style, and its strafing is crab style. for it to crab successfully it would need to stop for a moment to ensure all its legs are aligned, otherwise he won't be able to predict where he'll be facing.

choosing a hammer against a vert is an idiot's choice (especially since he has complex moving parts to control beyond just aiming the hammer. I have a vert and wheels: K.I.S.S.). He clearly either has a gambit or is just extremely afraid of going flipper and actually fighting me in a fight that lasts beyond the opening gambit. his choice is again telegraphed. he also has the age old problem of putting a precision weapon on a low control bot. any gambit he attempts merely accentuates this control disparity.

my opener is a wide angle in flank. He'll probably expect this, so if he...
-backs up/strafes/j-hooks/anything to try and make me overextend into his firing range - immediately stop, back up if needed. capitalize on openings. if none are given, angle in.
-tries to turn to meet me: continue in as long as I'm confident I'll end up angling in. we have to be head-on for him to actually hit me, so this should be free real estate unless long 4/2 bots turn well now. if I'm not confident, stop/back up. capitalize on openings. if none are given, angle in.
-comes at me with no wedge: same as above. he has slightly moer range (for all the good that 1/4 of a second is going to do), but it also directly exposes his legs to me, which seems...stupid. Be even more aware of his hammer's range and reach. but, no matter how FAR it hits, it still doesnt hit WIDE.

never be afraid to back off if I feel any risk. he has a one shot.

if I notice he's holding his shot ("I won't get baited into firing early," or some such) in the first engage or two, rush him before he feels like he's "established a pattern" and tries to change things up. this applies generally: Alex loves to try and buck trends, make gotcha plays, and try and win by making his opponents overthink the matchup. I thought this bot was a spinner until 3 days ago and haven't read any of its results. he's going to have to establish any patterns for me to fall for in about 10 seconds, otherwise this is just his inefficient weapon vs my efficient weapon.

when I get under, chain hits until he's flipped (using the flipper here and only here if I'm low on spinner power), then hit him again every time he self rights. hit him as he lands - with how much airtime his hammer gives me this will give me enough time to properly position (behind him if possible) and spin up to full speed. if the spinner dies, focus on pitting him, using the flipper for control.
GL

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Magnolia Pico vs Broken Tooth

Post by The Monsterworks » Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Magnolia Pico: 4/2/1/16+1/9 - serious hammer config
vs
Broken Tooth: 6/4/1/13/6(+2 weapon) - all wedges on

Gabe's a good debater, so expect the ARC-staple strawmen, weasel words, and one-sided analysis. The facts are as follows, though:

1) I kill him with potentially one hit and shock damage anywhere. He can't harm my weapon at all, and does a manageable 4 damage elsewhere. He has zero room for error, while I have a bit.

2) He only outspeeds me 8 units to 6, which isn't much, given our respective win conditions.

3) His ability to execute fancy maneuvers is limited by his -2 control. I'd bank on him mentioning mine without mentioned his. Basically, he has a precision weapon with a narrow strike zone, like I do, and risks oversteer every time he goes for something turny or angly, which he'll have to do pretty consistently.

4) All this is combined with his large, flat, squarish top surface that gives my hammer a lot of real-estate to hit home with. I have pretty much the same big squarish profile, but he has less range and I can take a few shots from above if he tries to swing down.

5) His win condition most likely involves angling in successfully and then chaining a 2x weight walker for repeated hits while maintaining his weapon's KE, getting to my legs, and messing them up. Mine is... hit him. Even if I fail to kill him on the first shot, it should seriously affects his performance and make a second shot easier.

Basically, come out and hit him. Keep my plow facing him. He'll be prepared for one of my wheels-within-wheels strategies, but the fight boils down to this: For all he'll dress it up, he has to avoid being directly in my hammer's kill zone. He's going to angle in. Strafe to cut off angles and be in his way. I'm the one with more options and flexibility here. If he backs off and resets, start moving forward. When he looks for another angle, strafe to cut if off again. Put constant, lowkey pressure on him by cutting off his angles (fairly easy in an arena without much open floor space) and advancing relentlessly whenever he backs off. In this way, I'll drive within myself in terms of control. He'll be forced to maximize his turning and swerving in search of the right angle and that'll maximize his chance of oversteer or another error. Pounce immediately and aggressively.

There's a chance he tries baiting. Call his bluff, move right into it, and fire the hammer. Even on misses, my double weight means I won't jump as much as he's probably banking on. If he flips me, he won't be doing it from 100% straight-on and I won't be going straight back. Between human reaction time, the angle, my weight, and his poor control, he'll really struggle to chain. Hammers also self-right back, away from danger. Do that immediately and catch him rushing in, trying to follow up his offense.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!