No Fun Machine vs Defenestrator

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

No Fun Machine vs Defenestrator

Post by Venice Queen » Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 pm

NFM: Speed: 3 / Traction: 1 / Torque: 1 / Weapon: 16 / Armor: 9 - normal shell
Defenestrator: Speed: 7 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 2 / Weapon: 4 / Armor: 11 (+1 plow) - "anti spinner" (which is assumingly the plow :V)

Finally pulled enough of the right teeth to learn where the damned fight was happening. Noir is good for me - the hazards take forever to activate (and he has to hurt himself with them if he wants to power them up: we have about the same chassis armor), and it has a nominal box-rush prevention device, though a 7/6/2 was going to struggle to rush even in a fair arena. also of note: this arena has VISIBLE seams between the floor tiling. Defenestrator has multiple hinged components that could get caught in those, I do not.

Defenestrator also has a max of 12 armor. I deal 4 damage, every hit - and that plow has interior corners (yes they aren't perfect right angles but they are certainly suboptimal). I'm assuming he'll also be running around with his lifter all the way back so I don't immediately remove it from his chassis, which makes his control a bit wonky, his bot quite long, and increase chance of wheelies. He'll struggle to manuever in tight spaces - meaning that escaping from corners should be easier than usual since he's likely to swing the lifter assembly into a wall trying to corral me.

he's only at about double my speed so I should actually be able to somewhat guide where the fight goes this match - especially since i can play ring around the rosy with the middle hump for the first 30 seconds if I need to get up to speed. as usual I want to stay to the center of the arena, and avoid corners and hazards (which are the same thing, conveniently). the OOTA zones are less of a concern, but still avoid them if I can obviously. from there, spin2win. aim for the interior corners, outer corners, doing the usual engagement with my wheels sideways. as usual let him come to me, and ensure I rebound somewhere safe - taking risks with a shell is idiotic and i will never do it no matter how hard he baits or how many hazards he turns on. at the end of the day, I am the fight, and he has to deal with me eventually. Give him hell when he does.

GL

Hooray For Lexan

Re: No Fun Machine vs Defenestrator

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat May 02, 2020 4:21 pm

STATS: Assuming Gabe already posted them if he made the thread?

CONFIGS: Anti-spinner config. NFM’s using his normal config aka no reachy shit.

STRATEGY:
Start with my lifter raised all the way behind me, and keep it there unless I get a pin.

His teeth are asymmetric so he has to spin CCW and will throw himself to my left when he hits me. Therefore box rush at a slight angle to my left to get around the center bump. If he runs to his right I get an easy attack that sends him towards the corner, if he runs to his left I can curve around either the near side or far side of the bump depending on how far he’s gotten, and the impact should send him towards the wall he starts against. Slow 360 spinners CAN be box rushed in arenas like this before they hit full speed IRL by moderately fast control bots.

Try to point the middle of my plow straight at him. If I’m centered the sort of “U” shape should mean his teeth hit either straight against the blue front plates, which will deflect him upward pretty hard, or scrape against the inner gray plates at a very shallow angle and glance off. If he’s a bit off center the front plates may still deflect him. Shells are vulnerable to coining, and a big upward bounce could really mess him up.

Stay on the attack and pinball him against the walls until I can stop the shell. I can easily high-center him, but stuff him into the wall ASAP to keep him from getting away by spinning his chassis. At this point try to bring the lifting forks down over his srimech pole if he’s not spinning to get some extra control over him, and try to get him near the Fatales so I can block his escape enough to actually use my lifter. I want to turn him over; he can probably get up eventually even with a short pole but it’ll waste time. Keep bumping him while he’s flopping around and be waiting to wedge him the instant he gets back up. Do NOT let him spin up again: he can do serious damage so I’ve got to be as cheap as possible with smothering.

Last resort: if my plow looks like a couple more hits will tear it off, go ass-first and use the forks like a de-icer to push against his srimech pole and smack him into the wall I should outreach him. Be VERY careful doing this. Be ready to gun it out of there if he gets to the side of the forks and keep them raised well above the top of his shell. I see those top nub teeth! Once he’s slowed down go back to using the plow.