CBC4 FW Round 7: Finishing Move vs Taipan

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

CBC4 FW Round 7: Finishing Move vs Taipan

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Finishing Move: 8/7/1/11/3
Taipan: 7/5/3/5/10 (+2 plow)
The drivetrain edge is mine. I'm both faster and better controlled. He has nil ability to smother, control me, or OOTA. I can launch him out from six feet away. His torque advantage isn't a huge practical concern either. If I'm ever pushing or getting pushed, I'm doing something very wrong. J-hook away immediately or fire my weapon to jar loose.

Even with corner damage, I only break even on his plow, so that's not the goal. His chassis armour of 8 means I can take out a wheel and do some breakthrough damage to his bottom plate. His reference pic boasts about his low profile, so warping along his bottom if I can chain him stands a good chance of hindering his mobility.

The central goal is to overwhelm him with things to worry about. Alex V likes to have all eventualities prepared for and covered and this'll drive him nuts. Going at him as a normal vert, I either win the wedge 50/50 and fling him or he gets under and I fire the flipping arm holding my weapon and catch his upper forks, still flipping him. Rush in as he self-rights and slam the arm back down onto him. Then, there's the threat of me reversing in with my underall wedgelets and doing an over-the-back with my spinner-on-an-arm. Mix that in a few times. He also has to worry about getting flipped OOTA, and there are two large, accessible zones with a narrowing area between them. He will not want his back to there, which further restricts his available maneuvers against a faster bot that can strafe. Threaten the OOTA whenever possible. Mix in straight approaches, angling in, and last-second strafes to either side or circle strafes when we meet, enough to start building up a pattern and then breaking it. Heck, if he's charging in, clean matador him once or twice and then chase him rear-side-first for an over-the-back. Basically, don't give him a single tactic he can put his thumb on but gradually hone in on what works best.

Defensively, the way my wedges are set up, there's little opportunity for him to angle in. Getting me to the hazards is his win condition, so always be cognizant of arena positioning, potential hazard baiting, and stay the hell away from them. If flipped, drive away if necessary first before self-righting. Use my judgement.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Re: CBC4 FW Round 7: Finishing Move vs Taipan

Post by GF93 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:59 pm

Welp, my last chance to win with this bot and make a difference! Finishing Move has one heck of an interesting weapon with the drum-on-a-flipper setup, a fast Mecanum(?) drive setup, and good range from both the wedges and those front forks. However, its biggest flaw lies in its protection: at only 3/1 armour respectively, it'll take a lot of damage even from simple rams/hazard trips, and its lack of corner wedges make it vulnerable to flanking against a bot like Taipan that's not only fast enough to keep up, but can reach its top speed practically immediately. What's more, the wedges on the back will get in the way of him both self-righting/escaping my arm, and whilst he can't easily KO me with his low weapon power for a drum, I can throw him out.

The main approach here of course is aggressive and strategic; focusing a lot on attacking his sides/corners away from his weapon radius, heading him off when he drifts and limiting his movement as much as possible, generally forcing him onto the defence and taking advantage of his poor defences as much as possible. Move out quickly, watch to see where he approaches from, and attack the sides/corners accordingly. If he drifts, aim for where he's heading rather than his current position, and be ready to dodge/counter accordingly to any sudden movements. Force my way under, lift him over, and get shoving from there; don't lift unless definitely underneath, and angle myself so that I'm not in danger of being hit either from the front or overhead.

When on the attack, really bring out the aggression and press the advantage as much as possible. Keep him flipped and forced to keep self-righting, actively stop his attempts to recover/escape, and each time I flip him or otherwise get him pinned, stop the drum turning by flipping him onto it or blocking it with my top claws. Squash him into the walls/spikes to wear down the clock and deal damage, and any time I have a chance to OOTA, do so. Use the narrow sections of the arena as chokepoints to prevent him drifting if need be, escape and self-right immediately if flipped, don't lift unless definitely underneath, keep distance from walls/hazards unless using them myself, and just generally be relentless; constantly take the fight to him.

Good luck.