CBC4 HW Week 6: Dreadnought Mk. 4 vs Long Arm of the Law

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Nighthawk87

CBC4 HW Week 6: Dreadnought Mk. 4 vs Long Arm of the Law

Post by Nighthawk87 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Dreadnought Mk. 4 (Sawtooth)
Speed: 7 Traction: 6 Torque: 3 Weapon: 3 Armor: 11

Long Arm of the Law (Forks)
Speed: 7 Traction: 5 Torque: 3 Weapon: 3 Armor: 12

Back in the grid and it seems to be another even stat lineup, I'm predicting another 8-7 split decision...

Strategy: Much like in our last fight we're gonna play a reactive game kept close to the center, try to anticipate Dreadnought's movements. We're gonna try hard to get the best possible angle on his wedge so our forks can slip between the teeth and win the ground clearance battle. Once we have him we'll lift him over and ram him into an area that'll make self-righting difficult so he wastes as much gas as possible. Once his reserves are low we'll watch him self-right, if it proves to be difficult we'll keep close just to be safe, but if it's obvious he can't we'll back off.

If it starts to look bad we won't lose our cool, we'll be patient and wait for good openings to get him on the light cycles, preferably wedge first so we can mess up his teeth. If he gets underneath us, we'll try to back off and regroup to the center of the arena before he can drag us anywhere. If we get flipped over, self-right and readjust our position.

Word count: 176

Going in with another nail-biter, good luck GF93!
Nighthawk Robotics

REDDIT
Tick Tock 2-4

Cherry Bomb Classic 3
Jawsome 1-5
Long Arm of the Law 4-3

REDDIT 2
Sherman 3-2

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
Long Arm of the Law 2-3

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Re: CBC4 HW Week 6: Dreadnought Mk. 4 vs Long Arm of the Law

Post by GF93 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Sawtooth Wedge.

LAOTL has good drivetrain/armour, and a decent lifter. I'm more agile/manoeuvrable, have the stronger wedges (covers corners, and the 2WD sawtooth config will generally beat his hinged ones even head-on), can throw versus only lifting (easier for me to escape/counter and punish), and self-right more reliably. His biggest flaw however, is his vulnerability to flanking; no corner protection, his long, thin chassis/wheel arrangement either way will work against him turning/wedge-wise, and those self-righting "ears" on the sides make convenient handles for me to get underneath.

With that, the approach here will be aggressive/strategic (again. :v ), taking advantage of his aforementioned weakpoints to pile on pressure, and generally punish any mistakes and keep him from bringing the lifter into play. Move out quickly, aim for the corners/sides to maximise the chance of getting under, flip, and then shoving/comboing from there. Watch for any sudden movements (follow trajectory and counter), and mix it up with feints toward his sides/corners occasionally, and getting him from wherever possible to constantly keep him guessing and force him onto the defence throughout.

When attacking; stay underneath, keep him upside-down and actively prevented from self-righting as much as possible. Copy any attempts to drive off my wedge to keep him trapped, combo with flips and actively ram/flip him again when he tries to self-right, squash him into the walls/corners to wear down the clock, throw him into the drums to damage his wedge/arm, and force him into one of the positions I can potentially use to immobilise him. Either; flipped with the arm fully open (depends on how strong his backswing is), propped nose-down against the wall/corner with the arm open (he won't be able to self-right even with a strong backswing, and his tyres won't have enough purchase), or on his "ears", propped against the wall/floor with all tyres off the ground. Stay nearby in all cases, and be ready to dive under again at a moment's notice.

Defence is mostly aggressive, constantly taking the fight to him and not giving him any chances to build up an offence. Otherwise, good common sense; keep spare gas available for self-righting, self-right and escape immediately if flipped, reverse/j-turn and counter immediately if lifted/gotten under, avoid hazards unless using them myself, keep the nose facing him, and don't flip unless definitely underneath.

Good luck!