CBC4: Carapace vs. Hoarfrost IV

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

CBC4: Carapace vs. Hoarfrost IV

Post by attackfrog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Carapace: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9403#p72623
Hoarfrost IV: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9403#p72627

Here, I’ve written Laz's RP for him to save you some time.
Long ago in a distant land, I, Laz, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish Samurai warrior wielding a magic hammer stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Hoarfrost!

Carapace is using its main config. Hoarfrost is using its anti overhead plow thing with the bonus armor stats.

The hammer blocker plow thing isn't going to be taking any damage from Carapace's hammer. But the robot it's attached to is going to take damage: four points of shock damage on every hit to the plow, thanks to the bonus shock damage hammers get. Hoarfrost, at the least, is not getting out of this unscathed.

I should have a little bit of a wedge advantage here with my pointy pontoons and wedgelets, so it's not going to be easy for Hoarfrost to scoop Carapace up. If Laz gets under from the side, Carapace isn't that easy to control: I can always keep one wheel on the ground unless wedged from all the way behind, and I can fire the hammer to shake myself out of Hoarfrost's grip.

I'll need to drive this defensively, to avoid flanking as much as I can. Hoarfrost doesn't have the power to flip Carapace out, so I don't need to worry about that. I do need to be careful about the drums, though. I'll try to stay closer to the purple side of the arena (I don't know which side I start on?) What I expect to be doing mostly is backing up and turning away from Hoarfrost as it circles around trying to flank. If I can get an angle to go in myself, I'll go in and smash that hammer down. If (when?) Hoarfrost gets underneath and starts taking control, use the hammer to get out of its control and use whatever wheel(s) I have on the ground to turn myself away from being pushed towards the arena drums.

I expect Hoarfrost to control most of the pace of this fight, but that bigass plow on the front will make it harder for it to carry Carapace around, and it won't be able to avoid taking hits as it tries. To win this, I show off the power of my hammer and aggressively smash Hoarfrost with it whenever I get the chance, while being hard to control.

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Re: CBC4: Carapace vs. Hoarfrost IV

Post by Madman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 am

Hoarfrost: 8/7/3/1/11(+2 anti-overhead plow)
Carapace: 5/3/1/13/8
His ability to sneak full-impact shots around my anti-overhead plow is gonna be really limited by my very large speed edge, the height and shape of said plow, his poor control ratio, and my tactics. Even shots from an angle will tend to glance off of its sloped edges first, robbing them of a lot of their power. Anyway, tactics:

Our wedges seem pretty equal at first glance: both 2WD toothed. Those long pontoons are only actually ground-scraping at their very tips, though, coupled with poor control and a lot less speed. He'll be aware of that and include something about watching for me to angle in, but that doesn't mean he actually has a way of preventing it. Angle in liberally and watch for him to try cutting off angles and hooking away.

With the absolutely broken shock damage bonus that hammers get, I don't wanna tank too many hits on my plow and Jack'll know it. So, open up by going straight at him, just into range, before backing out. Bait a misfire. He'll leap a bunch and break traction. Swoop in and flip. He's not doing much more than lazily turning over, but that's enough. Snowball him into drums if they're close or a wall if not. Keep him wedged at an angle against the wall, and shove him along the entire length of the arena to eat up the whole pin timer. Finish with a flip, preferably onto the drums. Generally, flip him as soon as he's wedged. He'll try breaking free with his hammer. His shape's vulnerable to high-ending if he's wedges from an angle, but he might get a wheel down too. After flipping, I have the speed to stay on his case. Harass and mess with his self-righting. If he rights, I want it to be onto my flipper. Push or snowball him into the walls and hazards again. Overall:

1. Mix angling in on his pontoons, baiting misfires, and straight wedging occasionally, just to keep him honest. I can take some hits. I just don't wanna take too many.

2. Get him to fire while turning to destabilize him. Exploit his poor control and hammers' tendency to flip themselves. Harass his self-righting.

3. Use my flipper to break his traction. Slam him into walls, pin, and push to burn the full 30 second timer. Get him to the drums when possible.

GL
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49