KING CRIMSON vs Magnolia Pico: CBC4, LW

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

hide
Team: Team C/D

KING CRIMSON vs Magnolia Pico: CBC4, LW

Post by hide » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:59 pm

KING CRIMSON (Armor config): 7/6/4/1/11, +2 wedge/flipper/whatever
Magnolia Pico (16 power hammer config): 4/2/1/16/9

Alex will probably say something about my flipper squarewaving, or that a 1 power flipper isn't enough to do anything to a LW walker, and he's right.

Unfortunately for him, that's not going to factor into this match because I'm not going to use my flipper. Why? Well, since I basically copied Hellhound, my bot also serves as a decently quick, pushy wedge. It might be a bit slower than typical-Hellhound style bricks, but it's still much faster than Magnolia Pico (3 speed ahead of him to be exact) + much better controlled. I also have 4 torque, which should be enough to push him around well enough.

So, what does this mean? Drivewise, I can run circles around him. He can't touch me unless I let him (this is where -2 traction and lack of a turret come to bite him), and given that we're in the Asylum, I can use the walls and general design of the arena to distance myself from him, which gives me even more of a advantage.

So, as it may be obvious, I'm going to be exploiting the two factors that I have at my disposal:
1. He can't touch me if I don't let him (or I get too cocky)
2. I can use the arena much more effectively than he can.
So, first off, I'm not going to be cocky and rush him. The walls will delay me too much if I try that, so I'll wait for him to come to me. Unless he wants to get stuck in a standoff, he's going to have to approach me to deal damage with his hammer. If he doesn't come, fine, let him stay there. It'll be a glorified staring contest, and I am determined not to blink first (basically, I'll just wait until he moves).

Once he finally gets moving, I'll wait for him to come, and when he does. I'll re-position. He can try firing, but my mobility advantage means he's gonna fail. It'll be a dance of sorts: he'll fire, I'll dodge and reposition, repeat as necessary. Ill keep doing this until:
1. The end of the match.
2. He leaves himself open.
Now, he probably thinks that if I'm not gonna flip him, I'm going to wedge him. Nope! I'm going to ram him, reposition and dodge. My goal this match is really: never get hit.

GL Alex
Last edited by hide on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Spoiler
Taskmaster: Reckoning: Evolution (0-4)
Taskmaster V2: REDDIT 2 (3-3)
Taskmaster V3: Thunder Underground (3-1), ARC Rumble (lost)
Taskmaster V4/King Crimson: Not the Football League (1-0), CBC 4 (2-4)
taskMASTER: Pat’s Reddit Tournament (3-2)
Spoiler
SPINNERFOOD: Thunder Underground (1-2), CBC 4 (4-4), CBC4 Rumble (lost)
Spoiler
D O N O T C R O S S: Thunder Underground (2-0)
Killer Queen: CBC 4 (2-4)
SPECTRALS: ROBOT4 (0-1)
CRAZY DIAMOND: ROBOT4 (2-1)
Ki: PAT'S TOURNAMENT (5-0) CHAMPION
DEAD BABY CANNON: RUMBLE IN DA JUNGLE (4-2)
MADE IN HEAVEN: ROBOT4 (1-1)
Record: 33-29
Notable Achievements:
  • Champion (Kira), Pat’s Antweight Tourney

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: KING CRIMSON vs Magnolia Pico: CBC4, LW

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 am

Magnolia Pico: 4/2/1/16+1/9
vs.
King Crimson: 7/6/4/1/11 (+2 flipper)

Let's look at two scenarios:

1) He passes my hammer's range, slips under me, and fires his flipper. He unequivocally Square Waves (tips forward) due to his design and my double weight or - if I'm up against a wall - flicks me up about six inches.

2) He fails to completely avoid my hammer, I land a hit on his chassis that deals 8 direct damage, or one that deals 4 to his flipper and 6 (yes, six with the bonus!) shock damage. His flipper also can't be raised as a blocker, since it's a burst weapon.

Result: he has very little room for error, while I have quite a bit. He can't really snowball or OOTA me. He needs to make at least somewhat long-term contact with my bot to push me into hazards and housebots. However, he can't push my double weight nearly as fast as he can push a normal bot, I can't be high-centered unless I'm already almost tipped up on my side, and I can strafe and vary my height to escape, throw him off, and line up shots.

At the start, make a beeline around the privacy screen through the OOTA side. This makes it impossible for him to flank me, even with his 9-6 speed unit advantage and slightly better control. If he comes at me anyways, watch for him trying to bait a misfire and only fire when we're basically touching. If he starts to go around through the other door, he has to loop through the small room. Take that time to move a couple of feet forward and turn to face him as he emerges. Then he's back to square one with the inability to flank me.

That's not central to my strategy, however. It's basically an opening gambit. Generally, I want to avoid those small rooms and fight in the open arena. Whenever I'm on his wedge, turn in place and unleash the hammer, early and often. Scuttle off of his wedge when wedged. Mix j-hooking, strafing, and reversing to avoid predictability. Watch for extensive baiting. He'll want to get me to misfire so he can push without fear of immediate retaliation. If he keeps doing an in-and-out, he gives up some aggression. Counter by darting forward whenever he gets close. If he's angling, strafe to the side to cut off his angle before he can complete his maneuver.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!