Swamp Thing vs Dreadnought

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Swamp Thing vs Dreadnought

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Dreadnought: Speed: 7 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 3 / Weapon: 3 / Armour: 11

Swamp Thing: Speed: 7 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 2 / Weapon: 6 / Armor: 9

Ghost writing for code

we're the same thing, I'm better. he has to rely on a front hinged flipper (needs me all the way up on the wedge to flip. I can j-hook). he has MUCH less weapon power. armor is irrelevant in this matchup. torque kinda is, but not as big a difference as my higher weapon letting me flip him higher and further - and also easier, since I'm rear hinged.

this is really overall standard britflipper mirror, and I shouldn't have to say a lot of the obvious things: j-hook off if I get wedged, push the advantage if I've flipped him once, don't flip too early (but dont flip too late either!), dont engage if my back's to an oota area, be more aggressive than him. I have the better design, I lose on RNG.

GL

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Re: Swamp Thing vs Dreadnought

Post by GF93 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Sawtooth Wedge.
(*NOTE: Code mentioned in Discord chat he's going with the forks. The same mostly applies if not)

Flipper Duel! We're similar in stats, but he's got lower torque/armour and a more powerful flipper. He hits harder, but his worse acceleration and wedges* that can be more easily flanked work against him. Likewise for having no means of keeping me pinned on the wedge (giving me more options for escaping/countering) and with his higher gas usage and throwing himself upward, he's more vulnerable to misfiring and having his self-righting exploited.

Metaphorically, he's Foreman and I'm Ali: so with a similarly aggressive but strategic approach, hopefully Dreadnought can score the KO. Move out quickly, watch where he approaches from, and mix up one of several strategies to get under. Either: attack the sides/corners where he's most vulnerable, feint a head-on or corner approach to bait him, then immediately REVERSE and counter when he misfires, or quickly monster-truck over the top and get him from behind. In any case, force my way under, flip, and get shoving.

Once I've gained the upper hand, do everything possible to keep it! Keep underneath and him inverted, chain flips to force him to self-right (thus, waste his gas), actively interfere with all attempts to self-right (ramming, catching him on my flipper, and pushing him near the OOTA walls to potentially make him throw himself out), copy his movements to prevent escape if he tries J-hooking or the like, and squash him into the walls/corners to wear down the clock. Limit his movement to near the walls, cut off any escape routes, and if I have a chance to OOTA (either myself or forcing himself to), by all means do so. Force him onto the defence and to wear himself down, then once his flipper runs out of gas, up the aggression even more and move in for the kill!

Defence is mostly aggressive, but using good common sense. Actively take the fight to him throughout, mix up all my approaches as needed to keep him guessing, attack away from the front/forks, watch for any sudden movements, and always be ready to dodge/counter accordingly. Take advantage of my longer-lasting flipper and stronger acceleration: only flip when I'm definitely underneath, but self-right immediately if flipped then escape before continuing. Stay away from the OOTA zones unless using them myself, and always have escape routes to fall back onto if flipped.

Good luck!