Skoll vs. Acrid (CBC4 MW Week 4)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Skoll vs. Acrid (CBC4 MW Week 4)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 am

STATS:

Skoll: 4/2/1/16/7
Acrid: 7/5/3/5/10(+1 scoop) – ARMOR BONUS APPLIED TO TRAPEZOID FROM THE ENTIRE BOTTOM TO ABOUT THE MIDDLE HALF OF THE TOP PER THE PIC V900 POSTED.

CONFIG: Scythe blade please! Acrid’s using its scoop.

STRATEGY:
V900 posted a pic showing Acrid’s armor bonus covers the middle of its scoop out to the bottom corners. The rest has 9 armor which I can go right through.

Start inverted and backwards. Reverse at first and let me spinup torque swing me around, then get away from the walls ASAP. Be tricky with my angle and positioning; face away from him so he expects swingarounds and doesn’t rush me while I’m spinning up, and not only use my sides as bait but if he chases my blade, spin around away from him and bring it into his other side. Mix this up with charging in at high closing speeds and swerving to the side in the direction of my reaction torque, and stop using any given tactic if it’s not working. As usual stay in the middle of the box and turn the weapon off if I’m in an unstable position.

He’s probably expecting to sacrifice the sides of his scoop and tank my hits with the middle. But my blade’s high enough up that the survivable portion is narrower and easier to catch the edges of – and if he runs inverted the angled sides won’t deflect me into the floor as easily. My goal is to either catch the sides of the scoop or an already-damaged portion. Skoll’s tooth is a giant HOOK, and tearing holes and gashes in the sides of the scoop gives it plenty of places to grab onto the internal structure of the hollow plow and wrench it sideways, which could bend even the 13-armor part or its mounting arms even if they aren’t hit directly. 2/3 of said arms are also attached to the non-bonused part and they get torn free it’ll ruin the structural integrity and make the middle one easier to bend. If I bend the side arms it could also jam his front wheels.

This arena has open space, no hazards, and that scoop shouldn’t be able to lift me over the walls. My wheel position prevents stranding. If he flips me upright I can’t hit the narrow parts of the scoop, but by then it may be bent badly enough for my blade to slip under it and destroy his front wheels.

Good Luck Etc.

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Re: Skoll vs. Acrid (CBC4 MW Week 4)

Post by V900 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Spoiler
V900 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 pm Middleweight:
Acrid

Speed: 7
Torque: 3
Traction: 5
Armor: 9
Weapon: 6 (saw)

Armor: 10 (+1 plow)
Weapon: 5 (lifter)

Everyone's favorite crocodile-dog is here to flop around and give your robot AIDS.

Wedge on the saw configuration is hinged 90 degrees in both directions. Saw arm can rotate up to 90 degrees in both directions.
Plow on the secondary configuration can rotate 360 degrees.

It's 4 (four) eyes have bright green LEDs in them that can glow in darker environments. Saw applies a green paint smear on the opponent. Might or might not make a mockup of these. We'll see if I can do so before the deadline.
Hooray For Lexan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:09 pm Middleweight: Skoll

ALTERNATE BLADES:
Spoiler
False Edge Blade
Symmetrical Blade
STATS:
Speed: 4
Traction: 2
Torque: 1
Weapon: 16
Armor: 7

False Edge Config:
Weapon: 15
Armor: 8 (+1 weapon)

Skoll is back, now rebuilt as an undercutter. The 30" long, 37 lb scythe-shaped bar spins at about 2700 rpm, storing around 35 kJ of energy. The design is asymmetric, but it's a "1.5-toothed" shape where at higher closing speeds the counterweight side starts coming into play. And if the back side doesn't bit much and glances then the scythe tooth will come around and hit HARD.

Blade is 5/8" off the ground upright, 3-1/2" to 4-1/2" off the ground (depending on approach angle because it's not perfectly level) when inverted. Spin direction can be reversed by turning the blade over.

Two alternate blades are also available, with basically the same diameter. The False Edge Blade is also a "1.5-toothed" blade, but it uses a thicker shape for maximum durability against high-powered weapons. The main side is also longer compared to the counterweight side (3" longer vs. 1.5" longer for the normal scythe) and has less exposed perimeter at large radii, making it harder for vertical spinners to uppercut. However it has a lower Moment of Inertia due to the weight distribution and doesn't store as much energy. The Symmetrical Blade is just that: symmetrical. Its weight and moment of inertia are almost identical to the scythe, but with two teeth. Both of these blades are reversible mid-fight for matches where spin direction is important.

Skoll's drivetrain uses brushless motors and P80 gearboxes, and has about a 9 mph top speed. The wheels are molded silicone compliant wheels; these aren't meant to take direct spinner hits but the springiness will help avoid damaging the axles or gearboxes when hitting the floor or wall hard, which is a risk as horizontals like to throw themselves around. The wheel diameter and position means a drive wheel will touch the ground at any angle of sideways or backwards tilt.
poop scoop config, armor bonus looks like this:

So to clear the elephant out of the room: I'm going to treat the non-armor bonused portions of my plow like ablative armor. If they stay on: cool and good. If they don't: oh well. And no: the plow won't pop off if the two side attachments come off. There's a third one in the middle.
  • Go for a big box rush to start the match. I'm sure he's expecting this will probably try to touro me, so adjust my angle mid-rush if need be. I'm sure I can turn an entire 10 degrees, even with -2 traction.
  • Arena corners are my best friend here. My 3 torque + his self-inflicted knockback means he won't have much means to avoid getting sent wherever I want him. Shove him into those whenever I can, maybe even go for an OOTA. 5 power on my lifter should be more than enough when the opportunity arises.
  • If he spins up to speed, that's my cue to back off. He's slow AF so I can take me sweet ass time retreating and lining up a short-distance ram (let's say 5ish feet?) into his blade. Those are also some real long and broad tips on his blade, so getting a head-on collision should be pretty easy.
  • Keep things simple, probably don't go for too many zany driving techniques (like angling/flanking). Straight and slightly-curved ram trajectories are my MO here. Just do what works and ride the timer for that aggression/control JD.
gl hf