CBC4 MW Week 1: Dragonfist vs. Space Bee

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Rocket

CBC4 MW Week 1: Dragonfist vs. Space Bee

Post by Rocket » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:37 am

Dragonfist (Flail Meta Best Meta):
Speed: 3 | Traction: 1 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 16 | Armour: 9 | 4WD | Shell Spinnaaaah

Space Bee (Interesting Paint Job Wasted On A 14-Armour Rectangle):
Speed: 8 | Traction: 6 | Torque: 2 | Weapon: 0 | Armour: 14 | 4WD | Flat Static Wedge

---

Dragonfist is the kind of machine that Space Bee was built to fight. SB's a really fast brick that definitely plans to box-rush into my direction of spin, wear down my weapon speed with consistent flail hits, then just keep me shoved against the wall for the entire fight because Gabe loves wedges and hates fun. So let's mess with his strategy a bit.

SB's going to take 1 damage on his chassis and 2 on his wheels from my flails... except he sort of isn't. Dragonfist is a tall machine, and the flails are high enough off the ground, especially at the point where the spikes are (haha), that the initial impacts won't be hitting his wedge at all, but the flat mounting part or the equally flat wheels. Flat surface damage is worth an extra point, and that means I'll be dealing four damage points to any wheels I hit. While this might sound like splitting hairs, it means I do consistent damage to SB and puts his wheels in a lot more danger than might be assumed from purely looking at the numbers.

As for driving, it's a question of racking up damaging hits. Sure, they might rack up damage points, but I'll also rack up hazard points from every flail hit. And those flails? They hit a lot. I'm going to be driving by ear for most of this fight, because the big driving point in my favour? Darkness. I can quickly rack up four hits with my flails and kill the lights, then navigate essentially via flail-based echolocation as I circle around him and make him run into the walls and suchlike. For all his speed, he's still got the -2 control ratio that I have, so when he can't really use that speed to charge me down except through sheer guesswork I can keep racking up damage and hazard points, as well as control via judicious application of the arena walls in the darkness. Yes, you read that right. This is a full-body deathspinner trying to win on control.

Something something bold strategy Cotton.

Good luck Gabe, and have fun. =]
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: CBC4 MW Week 1: Dragonfist vs. Space Bee

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Mmk so I know from the discord that Rocket was planning some sorta bullshit. as far as I can tell her best solution is to actually play the wedge game - I'm a static wedge, it's a weak point: and I'm hoping she'll fall for that bait and not just play this standard. if she actually tries to play the wedge game (or spins the shell backwards trying to toss me into a wall while getting under me, etc.), even if she gets under successfully she's facing 3 speed vs 8 with exposed wheels at the back. I retreat, I try again - and when I get under I'm faster and she's high centered.

she might still be playing normal - she can try to just play the hits game and turn out the lights or get spacing on me if possible. if she is saving up points to blacken things, be ready to immediately dart as far away from her as possible, and try to hit a wall so the impact noise can tell me what side of my robot hits and where I am. then, listen for the sound of her weapon motor and use my knowledge of my robot's position to keep away from her until the lights are back on. Can't really stop the roots, but I'm built to be able to re-suppress a robot multiple times with 14 armor.

if she's playing normal: 14 armor, 8 speed. box rush, pin, make her life miserable: you know the drill. of note: my armor is so high that I am completely comfortable with ignoring the flails. they do 1 damage to me and shouldn't push me much: I can actually just straight challenge her chassis, and it's why she knows she's fucked. if I have to take more than like, 3 full-power hits from the flails, then go to angling in while backing away slowly, letting the flails bounce up and off and up my wedge to dissapate their energy before reversing direction and moving into her spinner.

GL!