Sixpounder vs Black Dog

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Sixpounder vs Black Dog

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Sixpounder: 8/7/4/1/10 (+1 plow) - wedge teeth on, shortpipes on, other body cladding and wedge stuff off

Black Doggo: 6/4/1/14/5 (+1 drum)

Black Dog is supposed to be the ultimate brick killer, but that's mainly because most bricks approach it like any other spinner. If you wedge it, it still maneuvers and it counterpunches you to death. Well, guess what? I'm not going to play things that way. I also have pushing speed (6) equal to its total speed, so I should be able to adjust to its usual hooking and sneaky maneuvers.

The main thing is to get shots off at it while not allowing it to do the same in return. Wedge battle is a 50/50 if we're head to head, but I don't want to be head to head. Stay mobile, circle, and dart in for a slam. Don't bother with the long run-ups that allow it to turn while wedged and counter. Just hit and run. Force it to turn and oversteer or gyro or both with that terrible control and massive, powerful, 2WD drum. Then smack it hard while it's doing that and watch it go berserk from the impact. Only go for a wall slam if it's reasonably close to the wall and be careful not to end up between it and a wall. If I manage to slam it, then don't hesitate to pin it and use the lifter to overturn it.

One exception to this overall gameplan is a full tilt initial box rush. Nobody does that to Black Dog anymore because they're so scared of its wedge and flipping ability. IDGAF. Press my wedge just before contact and our wedges are equal. Go for the spectacular slam against the arena to make a big opening impression on the judges. I also have crazy speed and acceleration so, even if he wins the wedge war, he won't be at more than 2/3 power and I'll get tossed back a couple of feet. Big whoop.

When I get overturned, keep driving and rotate my wedge around before resuming the offensive. As a general rule, make him turn and then get under him, and focus more on hit-and-runs that cause him knockback and out-of-control gyro, with wall slams and pins saved for when he's close to the walls or not fully under control.

GL, little brother.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Re: Sixpounder vs Black Dog

Post by Madman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Aight, so he’s probably got some big strategy for countering my wedge and my weapon power and it probably involves keeping me turning so I gyro lift. Yawn. Every other opponent has had that too. Lot of good it did them. With only a small speed advantage, he shouldn’t be able to smother me, and I can easily hook or maneuver off of his wedge and mount my offense then. In terms of gyroscopic lift, I’m going to alternate mostly straight-line movement and small turns to avoid lift with actively using lift, Minotaur-style, to throw off what are sure to be his many oncoming rushes. I’ll also mix in the latter tactic to avoid him developing a single, overriding strategy. For much of the fight, I don’t care about having the better wedge. I just need him to think I do. If he wants to get around me, let him take my side. I can reverse straight off and then bolt forward into his side because he can’t stop right away and human reaction time exists.

On that note, at the start, line up sideways and reverse out of the way at the last second if he rushes me. Between my speed and his reaction time, I should be able to pull that off. Punch it forward into his side when he overshoots or struggles to reverse. You don’t lose that kinda momentum right away.

My plan’s mostly: he can’t hurt me, but I can hurt him, so play like it. One chassis shot threatens a KO or serious damage. Otherwise I can flip him around on every shot, and he’ll have to waste time running away to reset his lifter. Nice aggression points fam. Chase this fool down. Occasionally fake oversteer to bait him into being aggressive and then line up a wedge-to-wedge frontal that he’s not ready for. When I get under him and flip him, chain hits. Eat wheels. Don’t hunt hard for an OOTA, but be opportunistic if he’s near the walls. Mix up tactics to keep him from settling into a rhythm and to draw mistakes.

GL fam
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49