Hallucinogen vs. Madscience (ROBOT3 LW Week 5)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Hallucinogen vs. Madscience (ROBOT3 LW Week 5)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 am

Hallucinogen: Speed 5 / Traction 3 / Torque 1 / Weapon 12 / Armor 9 (+2 wedge)

Madscience: 16/1+5/1/2(1/1/1)/10(+1 teeth, +1 top truss)

CONFIGS: Drum Config. Madscience apparently has 1 translational speed, the puncher, the flamethrower, and presumably some armor plate on his top truss or something that he didn’t bother rendering.

STRATEGY:

Spin up and rush of the way across, then slow way down. I can’t contest his spinup but he’ll be slow to get out of his corner. Get physically in the way of him escaping to the middle of the box. If he still slips past without getting hit use my much higher speed to corral him and force the hit to happen at an angle that sends him back towards the wall.

I know Alex wants to exploit the huge bite melties can get, but I’m going to approach him very SLOWLY when he’s at full speed to get low closing speeds. Try to hit dead-center or angle into his spin, so my drum (13 weapon armor) uppercuts the spiky protrusions on his teeth and throws him in the air, or if that fails he’s deflected off my wedges and possibly into the drum anyway. Watch out for strafing moves to try to attack my corners, and be ready to back off and come in for another try.

You know how bar spinners sometimes go unstable and flip out after a hit e.g. Tombstone/LR, Icewave, Candy Paint, Moros? Madscience is just one giant bar. There’s a good chance of it flipping out if it takes a strong upward hit either from bouncing off a wedge or getting hit by a vert. Be fairly cautious and try to make every hit count until I can either send him into the wall or make him flip out, then go for broke. Rush in, hit whatever I can on his chassis, and just keep hitting him over and over without giving him time to spin back up or go full-translation-mode. He can’t spin up if his wheels are airborne.

I can easily bend his punching bar into uselessness, and that truss frame’s nothing but edges for me to grab onto – MOST of which are 8 armor even with the reinforced top. The frame’s likely to get shredded or large-scale warped by direct hits, and his ground clearance is low enough that bending, twisting- or torn-up edges could high-center one or both wheels. Or I could just tear off so many of those angle brackets holding the extrusions together that he loses structural integrity and his own hits bend / tear apart his frame. For this reason, if the drum goes down, CHARGE and hope earlier hits catch up with him.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Hallucinogen vs. Madscience (ROBOT3 LW Week 5)

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 pm

MADSCIENCE: 16 speed / 1+5 traction / 1 torque / 2 weapon (1/1/1) / 10 armour (+1 teeth, +1 top truss)

vs.

Hallucinogen: 5 speed / 3 traction / 1 torque / 12 weapon / 9 armour (+2 plow)

He doesn't hit hard enough to appreciably hurt me unless I'm not spinning. Meanwhile, I do 3 damage to his drum, 5 to his wedge, and 4.5 shock damage. Considering both my spin-up speed traction bonus and his typical 5/3/1 spinner drivetrain, he really shouldn't have the speed to either box rush or smother me. That makes a fight with repeated weapon to 'weapon' clashes likely, and that's a war of attrition that I win. My main goal will be forcing that situation.

For starters, go upside-down, with the reinforced titanium truss on the bottom. If he catches me not spun up, he'll hit its 11 armour instead of the other one's 8. I basically give myself a 50/50 get out of jail free card, so it can't hurt. I've also had a bad habit of lingering too close to the walls in my last few matches and paying for it. Let's do something different. Line my bot up in a 'safe' direction unlikely to be the one he'll come from and touch the throttle. I won't be able to turn at all, but the idea's just to jet forward into open space and spin up there immediately.

As long as I'm spinning, I have 360 offense and I want to be as aggressive as a one speed bot can be. Move forward constantly. I want hits. The more the better. Also strafe to the left aggressively just before contact. I might get lucky and catch one of the inner corners on his wedge, but the real goal is to force him to oversteer with that 5/3 control ratio and/or gyro lift when he's forced to turn to keep in line with me. Partway through the match, if I've established a predictable pattern, strafe right instead to throw off his response and mix that in thereafter.

Based on our geometry, impacts themselves should usually be pretty straightforward. Unless we meet exactly centered on each other, I'm likely to hit his wedge first, dealing 5 damage, possibly warping his frame or jamming his drum with mangled wedge, and popping myself backwards and slightly upwards before he can retaliate. Rotational stability is a thing, and there's also just a chance that I'll clip the side of his drum. When we meet directly weapon to weapon, my big metal hammers are flat-sided and sweep so low to the ground that his drum does NOT hit at an angle that should be able to lift or throw me unless he gets very lucky and catches one of the actual teeth. Generally, I'll be kicked back at worst. The main elephant in the room for me is how to deal with hockey pucking. That comes down to counting on his slow closing speed and low traction, his own need to spin up, the melty spinup bonus, and judicious use of punching the throttle in a straight line away from him. That should allow me to keep on tickin' and dishing out a lickin'.

GL, my main dude.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!