Abyss vs Whirlpool

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Abyss vs Whirlpool

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Abyss: 4/2/1/16/7

Whirlpool: 4/3/1/15/7

Our weapons impacting = big damage and probably corner damage. Both hit hard and both are being hit out of plane. However, a few crucial factors come down in my favour:

1) I simply do more damage than he does, straight up: 5 (likely corner) damage to 4. I could potentiallylly knock out his complex and sensitive ring spinner in a single hit or, if not, disable that wheel in its hub.

2) My weapon is uppercutting his and launching him backwards. Even if he goes upside-down where his front sweeps lower to the floor, it's still not sweeping low enough to catch my feeder skids or avoid being punted by my drum. Meanwhile, he'll struggle for bite on such a wide weapon where even the edges of the teeth are sloped to deflect HS impacts.

In terms of driving, I know that shenanigans are incoming. A guy doesn't have a wheel setup like that and play things straight. As a general rule, prioritize straight-line movement in and out of range and avoid sudden, last second turns that would risk uncontrollable gyro lift. Watch for him to pseudo-strafe or try to swing his weapon around my front. Even if he succeeds, I have those ablative shields on each side which should be good for taking one hit each. Watch what he does in terms of tricks and don't be afraid to play it a tiny bit passive in the early going. If I have his timing or movements down, rush in, back out immediately, and let him swerve at thin air. Then come back in and murderize him :P Chain him if I ever get the chance, and don't be afraid to go for an opportunistic OOTA if an opportunity presents itself. IIRC, he's starting by the low wall. If both of our weapons die, his control's marginally better, but I have the much better and better-positioned wedge and can't be high-centered, unlike him. Use that.

In summary: my main priorities are landing weapon-to-weapon or weapon-to-chassis hits, avoiding turns that cause gyro lift, and getting his timing and moves down to allow for decisive offense. Secondary would be chaining, going for an OOTA, and avoiding getting smothered.

GL dude!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: Abyss vs Whirlpool

Post by attackfrog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 pm

I'll go right side up and use my undercutteriness to take out those front forks, after which the weapon will be hitting the ground and pretty ineffective. I'm as fast as Abyss and better controlled, especially considering its giant vertical spinner. I've also got the sideways wheel configuration which should give me better turning ability. If I can, I want to get at the sides of Abyss to try to clip its wheels.

There will be some big hits here for sure, but even if I go flying I just need to spin up again, as will Abyss. I may be able to use my wedgelets to block the drum as I get a hit in (and even if they get torn off, they'd be ablative armor of a sort.)

I want to play somewhat defensively, get the best shots I can, and not get hit out of the arena before I can disable the drum on Abyss by taking out its forks, bending the forks into the way of its drum, or taking out the side supports of the drum or the wheels. There's a lot of good targets to choose from here.

GL Alex!