ROBOTS 3 Week 4: Hard News vs. Admiral

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Whammerist

ROBOTS 3 Week 4: Hard News vs. Admiral

Post by Whammerist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Hard NewsAdmiral
ImageImage
Speed: 5Speed: 7
Traction: 3Traction: 6
Torque: 1Torque: 1
Weapon: 15 (14 for spinner, 1 for srimech)Weapon: 6
Armour: 6 (+1 to bar)Armour: 10
Config: N/AConfig: N/A

Ooh, this is going to be a really fun one. I’m glad that this angled spinner finally has the chance to really tear someone up, and I plan on using all of that opportunity. The money zones are pretty much anywhere except the flipper, but especially those meaty wheels and susceptible to corner damage backside. As long as I angle in and don’t hit them on the flipper, I’m dealing a good chunk of damage and bending up my opponent’s wedge.

On my opponent’s side, they need to earn the OOTA or score big on aggression and control. For the former, play defensively and J-Hook away while spinning up whenever I’m close to an OOTA zone. The dedicated self-righter plus a large spinner knocking away my opponent means that the long combo needed to set up an OOTA is never a reality for my opponent, because if I’m ever in danger, I’ve always got the opportunity to knock them away and disengage. If they want to stuff up the spinner, my radical gyro forces and willingness to back up for bigger hits should prevent that — again, my top priority is not getting anywhere close to the walls that allow my opponent to get something going.

So with that, the strategy becomes apparent. We want to claim the middle, stay in the middle, angle in, and get shots on our opponent. They need an unrealistic and practically perfect timing for a flip because we knock them away with our powerful spinning bar before our wedges even touch. As long as we’re the one getting the better of shots, and we keep the bar spinning, it’s a sure win. Next, we’re also always aiming for that kill-shot. Don’t fall for baits, but after we’ve torn up our opponent’s wedge a significant amount, a solid shot should be able to swerve them around or otherwise make some magic happen. If we EVER hit a wheel during this three minutes, this match is easily won, it comes off and they’re most likely completely immobile — even if not, it gives us an easy opportunity to come around and get a solid shot on the back or other wheel and earn the easy GG. Keep in mind those wheels are pretty sizable and we’re dealing with constant, big forces on every shot — odds are, I get the opportunity to take a wheel out at some point.

Oh yeah also drive smart self right adapt yada yada GL to both bots!!

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: ROBOTS 3 Week 4: Hard News vs. Admiral

Post by attackfrog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Angled spinners have turning difficulty, and I'd imagine that's definitely true for a 14 power one. Admiral's got the speed and the control to take advantage of that, get around to the side of Hard News, and flip it over. It has a self righter, but that will still stop its weapon, and by the time it gets upright again and starts spinning up my flipper will be reset and I'll be angled up to flip it once again. I'll be aiming to send it towards the lower wall and then out of the arena eventually.

If I do take a hit or two from the spinner it's not the end of the world. My flipper's well armored, and the rest of the front isn't really essential as long as I can get some part of it under Hard News to flip it.

GL Whammerist!