ROBOT3 FW Week 4: Mekabu vs Black Dog

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

ROBOT3 FW Week 4: Mekabu vs Black Dog

Post by Trihunter » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:56 pm

MekabuBlack Dog
ImageImage
Speed: 5Speed: 6
Traction: 4Traction: 4
Torque: 1Torque: 1
Weapon: 13Weapon: 14
Armour: 7Armour: 5 (+1 drum)
Config: Wheels ON, all wedgelets OFF, full power config (13/7)Config: N/A
Bugger.

Well, let's try and make this quick. Odds are Laz is gonna go aggro and go for a quick kill. What we need to do is use our better drive ratio to read his approach, bait around it and get a hit on a wheel or the rear chassis, aka the half of the bot that isn't drum. As he approaches, feint away so Black Dog has to turn. A drum that long is going to get utterly shagged by gyro forces, which will give us the perfect opportunity to strike Black Dog's underbelly, or at least a bit that's not the drum for 9 damage. Even if it results in a double KO, the decision should sway in our favour for instigating the collision and capitalizing on weakness. We just need to play this angle as best as possible, force Black Dog to have to turn to catch up and use its own gyro and worse control to our advantage. It'll be a tough fight, but it's not impossible. We just need to get one clean hit in before they do, and whilst Laz has the bigger killzone, it can still be exploited. If Laz starts slowing down, either to throw me off or stabilize, work on being fast enough to hit the wheels anyway. Circle-dancing is our friend. If we take a hit and live, try to recover fast and wedge under Black Dog, and use the hazards for a last-ditch effort.

tl;dr: Exploit gyro, end the fight in one hit on something that's not the drum.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Re: ROBOT3 FW Week 4: Mekabu vs Black Dog

Post by Madman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Black Dog: 6/4/1/14/5 (+1 drum)

Mekabu: 5/4/1/13/7

Ya, he’ll have some kind of gambit, because that seems to be standard fare against Black Dog these days. Come out, rush him at just below top speed (to give a false impression of how pacey Black Dog is) but, just as I get close, stop cold to see what he does. It’s unlikely he’ll charge head to head since he took the wedgelets off, but if he does, awesome. I’ll get under him, toss him, and do serious damage and/or chain him OOTA (he starts on the low wall side). If there’s some kind of reversing jank, play it the same way but be wary of tricks. In general, protect my weapon belt. It’s a nice target. If he tries to circle, get around my side, or force me to turn and gyro, he’ll have to drive without his weapon facing mine for at least a few seconds. That still leaves him exposed and, especially since he’s slower, doesn’t make him an immediate threat. If he’s close enough that I can still rush in and clip him, go to actual full speed and do it, turning a little bit if necessary. If he isn’t, back off and turn a little to square up with him again.

I generally want to avoid gyroscopic fuckery in a fight against another spinner, so focus on linear movements and smaller turns. Leave the dramatic turns to him. Ya, he has better control, but that kinda requires his wheels to be on the ground. He may not gyro quite as much as me, but he’s still going to do it, and I’ll be there to punish him. If I mess up at some point, It’s not automatically a disaster: his weapon doesn’t have the same coverage that mine does and I have sacrificial wheelguards in front of my wheels that can each go to Valhalla in my defense and give me a chance to counter. Flipping him is a very good idea. He will not run well belly-up. Those top standoffs are pretty narrow compared to his wheelbase. His control will be awful, he’ll be prone to tipping, and his weapon will be less effective.

TL;DR: do the not-Black Dog thing and feint aggressive while actually counterpunching. Take weapon to weapon hits and chain him. If I can get him to gyro or catch him trying to swing outwards, take the shot. Try to keep him between me and the low wall for a surprise OOTA opportunity. People seem to forget that’s a thing and that Black Dog can OOTA.

GL
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49